Bike repair stations

Karlhub

Thats brilliant. Saw those dotted around Auckland when I was there a few years ago. Not sure how long they will last in SA though.....

2 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

Thats brilliant. Saw those dotted around Auckland when I was there a few years ago. Not sure how long they will last in SA though.....

Im from Bicycle Power, the guys who do Saris in SA. 

This is our first Repair station we have set up with more to follow. 

We are looking at putting this infrastructure in at Petrol stations on popular cycle routes as they are monitored 24hrs a day and always have a light source. 

Keep an eye out in the future for more of these! 

26 minutes ago, PregoRoll said:

Im from Bicycle Power, the guys who do Saris in SA. 

This is our first Repair station we have set up with more to follow. 

We are looking at putting this infrastructure in at Petrol stations on popular cycle routes as they are monitored 24hrs a day and always have a light source. 

Keep an eye out in the future for more of these! 

great initiative, sure hope this works.

1 hour ago, FondTF2 said:

Awesome initiative.

However, I think that the criminal element will prevail no matter what (hope I am wrong).

Yes this is SA where you have to lock up your locks but that's been there several months. The owner of that garage is a super energetic and friendly guy and deserves all the success that comes his way.

BTW there's a seattle there so you can top up on caffeine and rib your mate for not carrying the right tools all at the same time. 

Excellent initiative - I really hope they don't get vandalized, saw a similar thing in Germany but with an added honesty box where you dropped in a few oroe coins just to help finance the maintenance of the units.

There are so many people and companies in our country that have good initiatives and ideas only to be shelved because of the criminality risks we face

If at a 24hr petrol station I would expect those to be a huge success and not be stolen. The petrol station may also find a need for sundry sales of tubes, patch & solution, etc with people knowingly coming to the site to use the tools.

And flipping awesome that someone who is reliant on the bicycle to get to work or school and who does not have money to pay for minor repairs, or to buy the tools themselves can also make use of this free service to keep the bicycle rolling!

Now how long till a LBS decides to post a junior staff member at these stations once or twice a month on busy weekend days to assist riders with repairs while showing them how great their LBS is?