Battery bank for cycling computer ?

ChrisF

What do you use to charge your cycling computer on long rides ?

I often top up the battery from a battery bank while having coffee, during longer rides. 

I am doing longer MTB rides this year which may well take longer than the time my 520 allows for.

I am considering a head light shaped battery bank, fixed to the bars with a head light bracket ... 

Would love to hear what you use.  Pictures welcomed :thumbup:

PS - I did search but could not find an existing thread about this.

Anything cylindrical should be good cause then you can strap it on one of those cheap cycling light brackets on the bar and run a short cable to the gps 

4 minutes ago, Tatt said:

Hi Chris

Have you considered a dynamo hub, it might be an option instead of taping a big battery to your bike?

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/bike-dynamos/

How much life do you get out of your 520, my Giant has over 30 hours life which I generally find pretty ample?

Tom

I only need 1 or 2 hours extra out of the Garmin.  And then only for a few rides per year.

For regular ultra distances the dyno probably has its market.

• 4 months later...
On 2/18/2022 at 6:58 PM, BaGearA said:

Anything cylindrical should be good cause then you can strap it on one of those cheap cycling light brackets on the bar and run a short cable to the gps 

Murphy ..... Ooooo Murphy .....

I prepped and tested my equipment for the Trans Augrabies.  Including a cylindrical battery bank and a "cheap cycling light bar mount".  Worked very well to keep the Garmin going for the longer rides.

Similar to this -

Mount.JPG.89abb66b6665328505d7d7df58909cbc.JPG

I have to remove the unit from the bar to charge it ....

Fitting it for day three ..... the cheap bar mount strap breaks. :thumbdown::unsure:  Thankfully I could stretch the heck out of it and hook onto the next segment .... but this cant last too long.

Where to buy more of these bar mounts ?  Ideally something better .... (or cheap enough to buy a spare)

18 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I have this bike mount and a Red-E battery that I use for my GoPro.

D0B3D889-6A2B-4887-9F85-7E96CBD3507C.jpeg

D5EC0870-ED88-48E6-A624-1DFEBACDB2FE.jpeg

Which model of the RedE unit ?  They sure have a WIDE range of products.

Can it power both the garmin and GoPro at the same time ?  Or rather, do they have a model with two outputs ....

EDIT ... https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwjZkOHF3sb4AhVLtO0KHQ1AB3cYABALGgJkZw&ae=1&sig=AOD64_1MCYoTTPhyi7fxAC-WLZFPnj3jPg&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjN0NrF3sb4AhUWi1wKHWbxCmsQww8Ipgg&adurl=https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/power-traveller-20k-20-000mah/%3Fgclid%3DEAIaIQobChMI2ZDhxd7G-AIVS7TtCh0NQAd3EAQYBiABEgIo8vD_BwE

Swopping GoPro batteries mid race certainly is something I can do without ...... but powering the Garmin is first priority.

Edited by ChrisF

16 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Which model of the RedE unit ?  They sure have a WIDE range of products.

Can it power both the garmin and GoPro at the same time ?  Or rather, do they have a model with two outputs

I’m trying to find it. It’s been a while since I’ve used it, and it’s not in my box with other cycling stuff. 

It’s either been placed somewhere in the house, or… discreetly removed from the house without me knowing. 

edit: found it in shoe box (long story).

Model number RG40
Has two charge points,

- one USB (Garmin charge cable can plug in here)
- one mini-USB to charge GoPro.

4000mAh (so relatively small in battery bank sizes).

149F6278-BA3C-4D4B-BB38-0613CCE15F6B.jpeg.ca0755b9c44dda82a5d025a0608d7050.jpeg

Edited by Frosty

I've thrown a normal power bank into a frame bag. You can pick up relatively cheap frame bags that can carry the rest of your riding paraphernalia too. Not sure how accommodating your frame is.

4 hours ago, TyronLab said:

I've thrown a normal power bank into a frame bag. You can pick up relatively cheap frame bags that can carry the rest of your riding paraphernalia too. Not sure how accommodating your frame is.

That is what I did on the last day.

This frame only has space for a top tube bag.

Screenshot_20220626-025822_Gallery.jpg.4df377e8d6ea4b47a97640fe92c01f4b.jpg

The fit between the Garmin and the bag is not nice .... with sharp turns I got alarms from the Garmin that the charger is disconnected.

On my hardtail I regularly use a frame mounted battery to charge the Garmin.

But I need a bar mount for the blue bike .....

Use a bicycle light that has a large battery and USB out. Dual function and made to fit you handlebar.

4000mah battery with USB output:

https://www.rookiesports.co.za/product/fluir-ultra-720lm-front-bicycle-light/

4800mah battery with USB-C output (you will need a USB-C to normal USB cable for this light):

https://www.rookiesports.co.za/product/fluir-elite-1000lm-front-bicycle-light-usb-c-rechargeable/

Is your Garmin old that it won't hold a charge for more than 6 or so hours? 

By the time you're said and done with brackets, battery packs, cables, bags, clamps, cable ties, o-rings on the bike and extra stuff to charge over night, you're probably better off getting a new Garmin unit

You're welcome to use my lezyne for the ride, holds for about 50hours between charges 😉

520, think I bought it in 2017.

This is the reality when we buy into an eco.system .... watch, cycling computers, etc all Garmin.

For now it will be the light-battery pack for that last hour on long rides - specifically MTB.  Not doing enough of those to justify a new computer ... not yet.   I am sorted on the road rides, which are the bulk of my longer rides.