Visiting Joburg - need training advice/partner

DirtyDan

Morning Hubbers

I'm going to be in Joburg the next 2 weeks and need someone to train with for Joberg2c. Anyone able to help please? I'm not familiar with the place of gold. Alternatively, just point me in the direction of safe places where I can get in distance and climbing!

Regards

Edit: I will be in Parkmore, Sandton

Edited by DirtyDan

Try get out to Buffelsdrift bike park for some distance and good climbing. They have a solid 80km route that will be a good challenge. 

Alternative is SBR which is a road ride with some proper hills. 

JHB itself doesn’t offer anything spectacular for training. 

I will second the Suikerbos route, little to no traffic on the route and proper training ride. There will be many groups training now, look-up DOC cycle group on Facebook, they normally ride from Rietvlei in Alberton.

Lots of nice routes out westwards from the Cradle area if you are still looking for mileage. Almost no traffic and there are often groups hitting out that way. It's mostly district road so not overly technical, and you can make it climby if you want to. Happy to share GPX files if you want. 

Great everyone. Really appreciate the help! I love technical stuff - stronger on that stuff than the fitness.

1 hour ago, DirtyDan said:

Great everyone. Really appreciate the help! I love technical stuff - stronger on that stuff than the fitness.

Just keep the gym / pie balance on the right side of the scale and you'll get fit quickly, you're still young. The altitude will suck at first, but it'll help you out when you get back to sea level.

12 hours ago, droo said:

Just keep the gym / pie balance on the right side of the scale and you'll get fit quickly, you're still young. The altitude will suck at first, but it'll help you out when you get back to sea level.

Don't base yourself in Fourways then

On 3/11/2022 at 8:51 AM, Steady Spin said:

Try get out to Buffelsdrift bike park for some distance and good climbing. They have a solid 80km route that will be a good challenge. 

Alternative is SBR which is a road ride with some proper hills. 

JHB itself doesn’t offer anything spectacular for training. 

Is Suikerbosrand a dirt road route?

4 minutes ago, DirtyDan said:

Is Suikerbosrand a dirt road route?

Nope. Tar. Mad. 1200m. 60km. Mad. 

2 hours ago, 117 said:

Nope. Tar. Mad. 1200m. 60km. Mad. 

Do you perhaps have a strava route or GPX please? All I can find on Strava segments is this:

• Distance56.54km
  • Avg Grade0.1%
  • Lowest Elev1,566m
  • Highest Elev1,903m
  • Elev Difference337m

11 minutes ago, DirtyDan said:

Do you perhaps have a strava route or GPX please? All I can find on Strava segments is this:

• Distance56.54km
  • Avg Grade0.1%
  • Lowest Elev1,566m
  • Highest Elev1,903m
  • Elev Difference337m

That is the one called SBR - 99% of full lap and is the correct for the segment, but certainly not the details. The elevation is the difference between highest and lowest. The grade is average for the whole route = stupid.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/94723522

11 hours ago, DirtyDan said:

• Distance56.54km
  • Avg Grade0.1%
  • Lowest Elev1,566m
  • Highest Elev1,903m
  • Elev Difference337m

Suikerbos.gpx 

👍