Enduro in the Western Cape - has it died?

Headshot

The last EWC event I did was at Contermans. It was expensive but then so are the CTCT and DH events so I don't think it was overpriced. Maybe the issue is money and the desire to profit from the cycle industry and if the money don't come enthusiasm wanes. If I'm not mistaken, WCDH is run by volunteers who don't make money from the events . The vibe at DH events is also very different with lots of kids and enthusiasm from parents and supporters and its growing. So there are definitely customers for gravity racing down here and it works in Kzn, so what is the issue? 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Headshot said:

The last EWC event I did was at Contermans. It was expensive but then so are the CTCT and DH events so I don't think it was overpriced. Maybe the issue is money and the desire to profit from the cycle industry and if the money don't come enthusiasm wanes. If I'm not mistaken, WCDH is run by volunteers who don't make money from the events . The vibe at DH events is also very different with lots of kids and enthusiasm from parents and supporters and its growing. So there are definitely customers for gravity racing down here and it works in Kzn, so what is the issue? 

Do you want people to organise events for goodwill and the sake of the sport?

I don't understand what you're asking or expecting? 

If a company is expected to organise races, surely there needs to be incentive to do so?

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

was their last event not stupidly expensive and had people deciding to vote with their wallets and rather race their buddies using strava?

Yep, IMO too expensive. But people had the race froth and entered anyway.,..Which will make it seem as though people are OK with the cost.

That being said, the cost was necessary considering the additional costs they HAD to incur for all the covid kr@p and red tape they had to jump through.

Witfontein George is still a go and an amazing event on proper trails too. Don't expect Hoogies/Conties or even a lot of Jonkers level trails here. Steep, loose, rocky, rooty etc etc and HUGE smiles :)

15 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I 'raced' the enduro series in KZN from 2014 to 2021, in both veterans and masters categories. I'm a back of the field puzzler who did it mostly for fun. It is a thriving scene. Why does it work? It is run by a few dedicated people who volunteer their time organizing events. They also have a very reliable timing system provided by Elite Timing. Events are well supported and the focus is on having fun and attracting people to the gravity scene. It works. I miss it. Hope the Cape is able to develop a sustainable scene here as I would happily support it.

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

Do you want people to organise events for goodwill and the sake of the sport?

I don't understand what you're asking or expecting? 

If a company is expected to organise races, surely there needs to be incentive to do so?

I think that DH is run like that, but I'm not saying its the only way. I think that if profit is your main objective then you will be disappointed in the gravity racing business  as numbers are always low compared to marathon events, so enduro probably needs to be organized and run like DH. It would be interesting to know how KZN Gravity is organized. 

2 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

I 'raced' the enduro series in KZN from 2014 to 2021, in both veterans and masters categories. I'm a back of the field puzzler who did it mostly for fun. It is a thriving scene. Why does it work? It is run by a few dedicated people who volunteer their time organizing events. They also have a very reliable timing system provided by Elite Timing. Events are well supported and the focus is on having fun and attracting people to the gravity scene. It works. I miss it. Hope the Cape is able to develop a sustainable scene here as I would happily support it.

Good to hear, that sounds very much like the WCDH racing series. Lets hope we can get the same vibe going here. My sense was that numbers were growing in the WC too. We just need some races in 2022. 

out of curiosity what was the cost of an entry for the last conties/hoogekraal events ?

Edited by Jbr

3 minutes ago, Jbr said:

out of curiosity what was the cost of an entry for the last conties/hoogekraal events ?

R580 if no CSA licence, otherwise an additional R50 for a day licence if I recall correctly.

14 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Good to hear, that sounds very much like the WCDH racing series. Lets hope we can get the same vibe going here. My sense was that numbers were growing in the WC too. We just need some races in 2022. 

There have already been 2 DH events this year. Paarl and Zewenwacht. (The DH races now even have a 'SPORT' category for hard tails and Enduro, so maybe that is the future).

I'm a volunteer. I have never received anything other than good company and abuse in equal measure for my years of volunteering. 

I don't think anyone is going to run an enduro series for free unfortunately. Nigel Hicks and his guys in KZN have a different setup which they have developed over years.

The passion projects that have started and faded away over the years have exhausted many of the old hands who really wanted to see the discipline find it's footing.

The amount of work that goes into running an Enduro event, liability insurance, paramedic support, buy in from sponsors, volunteers etc is too big to do for free.

Maybe some youngsters will fill the void left by Dobbo and Meurant etc, but I doubt it. 

Hopefully WildAir step up and produce something awesome in the spring. I know there are definitely rumours afoot of another Ezelenduro on the horizon. That is proper GNAR shredding

Edited by Jewbacca
Added the 'Sport' cat info

Why is it that the turnout in these events is lacking though? I find the gravity orientated races are just so much more fun than your typical XC race, and the people are just all in it for the stoke. Granted, there will still be the ultra competitive bunch, but for the most part, everyone is there for the jol. I'm also no leader of the pack by any stretch, but my skills are good enough to handle most of what an enduro can throw at me, but when starting out, Enduro seemed hella intimidating, until I actually rode in one. There seems to be quite a misconception (at least among everyone i've spoken to) that it's as technically tough as a downhill race, and one needs burly bikes to handle it. Maybe that just puts people off entirely. Have never had an issue with the cost to enter, as they've all been in the R300 to R500 ballpark, which is entirely fine considering all that's involved

16 minutes ago, Thermophage said:

R580 if no CSA licence, otherwise an additional R50 for a day licence if I recall correctly.

okay, I see I paid R380 for the last XCO event I entered so I guess it's a bit steep, wouldn't think it would be a decider though, considering the price of maintaining a MTB... nothing compared to your suspension service twice a year ;)

Edited by Jbr

7 minutes ago, Jbr said:

okay, I see I paid R380 for the last XCO event I entered so I guess it's a bit steep, wouldn't think it would be a decided though, considering the price of maintaining a MTB... nothing compared to your suspension service twice a year ;)

It was the jump in price from the previous that I think got everyone (and myself).

While not expensive relative to a bike or servicing...**** adds up if you'd like to race the series for an overall chance at something like some people. It just felt expensive for what you get, considering one can ride the venues any day of the year for nothing. But yeah, some people wont mind. I do feel sorry for people riding with their kid/s though...That'll add up fast.

There was a comparison made to the cost of WC DH and KZN Enduro events, I don't recall the numbers, suffice to say the value proposition from both of those seemed substantially higher.

Anyway, min sweat off my back, I'm not a fan or racing (or going fast for that matter) anyway, but it woudl on occasion me nice. Jonkers is the only event which really is tough from both a fitness and trail technicality standpoint, so that is worth doing IMO if you are going to pick one in the CT area.

I just wish Status Quo was still open and included as well :(

Edited by Thermophage

7 minutes ago, Jbr said:

okay, I see I paid R380 for the last XCO event I entered so I guess it's a bit steep, wouldn't think it would be a decided though, considering the price of maintaining a MTB... nothing compared to your suspension service twice a year ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Just now, MTBeer said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

🤣 Twice a year on a full sus yoo...one for the fork, once for the shock...see...Twice 😋

2 minutes ago, Thermophage said:

It was the jump in price from the previous that I think got everyone (and myself).

While not expensive relative to a bike. It just felt expensive for what you get, considering one can ride the venues any day of the year for nothing. But yeah, some people wont mind. I do feel sorry for people riding with their kid/s though...That'll add up fast.

There was a comparison made to the cost of WC DH and KZN Enduro events, I don't recall the numbers, suffice to say the value proposition from both of those seemed substantially higher.

Anyway, min sweat off my back, I'm not a fan or racing (or going fast for that matter) anyway, but it woudl on occasion me nice. Jonkers is the only event which really is tough from both a fitness and trail technicality standpoint, so that is worth doing IMO if you are going to pick one in the CT area.

I just wish Status Quo was still open and included as well :(

Nail. Head. Well not quite free but almost

Just now, Thermophage said:

🤣 Twice a year on a full sus yoo...one for the fork, once for the shock...see...Twice 😋

Yes well HAHAHAHAHAHAHA anyway, no matter how you count