DSTV vs Streaming to watch cycling

Tri-till-you-die

Here I am, back again. GCN+ was so affordable and enjoyed the on-demand option. I am currently using YouTube to view highlights of races. Sucks that Multichoice have the monopoly regarding sporting events in this country. 

Has anyone utilised I-TV? I think that's what its called....

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Ozzie NL said:

If you praat die taal lekker

For those that don’t speak the language deliciously, just looking at the picha is good enough.

Een foto meer dan duizend woorden.

1 minute ago, Bub Marley said:

Yeah, nothing better than listening to Gerald de Kock for 5 hours.

Yes, it's an experience "like no other" as he says a few times per hour! 

Vastly better than the narrator of this year's Cape Epic Route video though, which I watched last night. Would help to use a mtbiker, since he mentioned Time Trails instead of Trials and mispronounced many other words in the attempt to read the overly evocative script.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1vbPEJsPHY

8 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Reviving this comment: 

"Watching the I hate DSTV and I'm never paying again crowd coming right back"

Smoking cigarettes dropped by 10% in Indian men in 30 years | india ... 

8 years without dstv and I can honestly say i will not go back ever. You are paying to use probably 10 of the 200 channels and you are still stuck watching adverts. No thank you.

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

8 years without dstv and I can honestly say i will not go back ever. You are paying to use probably 10 of the 200 channels and you are still stuck watching adverts. No thank you.

don't forget the repeats.

On 3/8/2024 at 3:32 PM, Bub Marley said:

Yeah, nothing better than listening to Gerald de Kock for 5 hours.

I'll bat for Gerald.

He is really knowledgeable and versatile. SABC would send him to the olympics probably with their budget just a 2* hotel and $50 allowance and he would do everything from 10m diving, pigeon shooting and everything inbetween. He does the homework and can easily hold interest in obscure stuff.

some weird YT algorithms go me onto these uploads the other day, and look who was there.

He's a total pro, and been doing this for yonks.

So what if you don't like his delivery, doing the ACE commentary must be a bloody tough gig (no chateaus to talk crap about). Happy to be corrected again in the very near future, but my memory from ACE stream is that he holds it together with the non media pros going offscript and weird.

plus he's a mtb rider too.

https://businesstech.co.za/news/media/758775/why-a-r200-billion-french-media-giant-wants-to-buy-multichoice-and-dstv/

Down the road, if successful this surely has implications for south african (ab)users of the DSTV network and sports channels.

The way I see it, the sports is propping up the rest of DSTV. a small proportion of people buy premium for the other content, and the local football bouquet is value pegged to put satellite dishes on every township shack. 

They are monopolistic in their control of the local tv rights, as they only have SABC/ETV as real competitors so it has been shooting fish in a barrel. They indirectly fund most of the professional sportspeople in the country  (ie. to take a random example, manie libbok is paid by the stormers and the springboks, both of whom get the majority of their revenue from TV rights coming to SA rugby and WP professional rugby arm). If the sports arm of DSTV tanks in a big way due to outside market forces (amazon/netflix going sportshopping), so does this rugby revenue.

It would appear that vivendi are buying multichoice mainly for the african market penetration, and the focus on the SA business arm might waiver. I doubt this means more cycling for us in the future. Whoever has been buying all the rights of basically every UCI event will battle to justify the spend.

22 hours ago, Shebeen said:

https://businesstech.co.za/news/media/758775/why-a-r200-billion-french-media-giant-wants-to-buy-multichoice-and-dstv/

Down the road, if successful this surely has implications for south african (ab)users of the DSTV network and sports channels.

The way I see it, the sports is propping up the rest of DSTV. a small proportion of people buy premium for the other content, and the local football bouquet is value pegged to put satellite dishes on every township shack. 

They are monopolistic in their control of the local tv rights, as they only have SABC/ETV as real competitors so it has been shooting fish in a barrel. They indirectly fund most of the professional sportspeople in the country  (ie. to take a random example, manie libbok is paid by the stormers and the springboks, both of whom get the majority of their revenue from TV rights coming to SA rugby and WP professional rugby arm). If the sports arm of DSTV tanks in a big way due to outside market forces (amazon/netflix going sportshopping), so does this rugby revenue.

It would appear that vivendi are buying multichoice mainly for the african market penetration, and the focus on the SA business arm might waiver. I doubt this means more cycling for us in the future. Whoever has been buying all the rights of basically every UCI event will battle to justify the spend.

Movies and series have been so splintered by the now nearly 200 streaming services that it is becoming a talking point that customers are now WORSE off than the old cable days.  People are starting to hop streaming providers on a very regular basis - hop to A, binge watch select content ... hop to B, rinse repeat ....

Sport is following the exact same path !!

Going to be a few "bad years" before a new model emerge ....

4 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Movies and series have been so splintered by the now nearly 200 streaming services that it is becoming a talking point that customers are now WORSE off than the old cable days.  People are starting to hop streaming providers on a very regular basis - hop to A, binge watch select content ... hop to B, rinse repeat ....

Sport is following the exact same path !!

Going to be a few "bad years" before a new model emerge ....

when pirate bay becomes easier, then that's what will get used

21 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

when pirate bay becomes easier, then that's what will get used

if it is not on pirate bay it doesn't exist