DSTV vs Streaming to watch cycling

Tri-till-you-die

1 hour ago, mecheng89 said:

I'm doing up some reading on this IPTV. Looks interesting, however it looks highly illegal. Tread carefully.

Path taken a while ago. Movies buffer too much but live TV is good.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I have a streaming package from DSTV attached to a normal premium package that has one streaming package already. The bill is split 3 ways.

It isn't expensive done that way.

I get to watch The Masters, the football, F1, cricket, the cycling and a host of other sport that has no real bearing on my life but I enjoy.

It's worth the money for me and it's easy. 

It also has kids TV, catch up and some cool movies. 

While DSTV isn't ideal, it IS a complete package and when split how we have done it, relatively inexpensive

By cycling you mean road, not MTB?

1 minute ago, love2fly said:

By cycling you mean road, not MTB?

I don't really watch much MTB to be honest. Even when it's been on DSTV I find the DH and the XCO difficult to engage. 

I enjoyed the XCC, but realistically am not going to miss it if it isn't on DSTV

I'm pretty apathetic tbh

If I have the time I will watch what I can, but I'd rather be out riding/running/surfing or golfing or smashing time with the dogs and my son than watching telly. Probably what makes me the perfect DSTV sucker

What, if any, is the link between Canal+ and Europsport ?

What would be the impact on cycling broadcasting when (if) Canal+ takes over DSTV ?

Canal+ bought another 5% during the last three days ... thats after their official bid.  They are now buying up shares below R120, while their offer for a complete buyout is R125 per share.  At a R1,1B purchase in three days that is a tidy saving for them ....

different question - - - Apparently their aim is the larger African market .... wonder if they are going to be paying premium rates for local rugby, cricket, etc ....

Clearly this going to come down to a numbers game ....

only certainty .... change is coming ....

22 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Reason why I subscribed to Staylive 👏 So glad DSTV is out of the picture!

"South African-based sports broadcaster, SuperSport has traditionally broadcast the series to its Premium subscribers. But for 2024, the rights have been awarded to Staylive, a Swedish streaming solutions company."

Edited by nathrix

30 minutes ago, nathrix said:

Reason why I subscribed to Staylive 👏 So glad DSTV is out of the picture!

"South African-based sports broadcaster, SuperSport has traditionally broadcast the series to its Premium subscribers. But for 2024, the rights have been awarded to Staylive, a Swedish streaming solutions company."

Yes and no, SS keep getting hammered but the truth is that in SA we've been spoilt by the airtime allocated to cycling by SuperSport buying rights. Most territories around the world don't enjoy anywhere near the access. 
For a long time, we had the most enviable access with both SuperSport and RBTV. The problem comes in with how the UCI awards it's broadcast rights. 

On 4/11/2024 at 8:26 AM, Spinnekop said:

I did.
Bought myself a nice bike last year.  😎

Respect. 

respect.gif | ScubaBoard

On 4/12/2024 at 2:56 PM, Danger Dassie said:

It would have been an added bonus if Tread Mag published the series dates in the same article, to help guide the decision on how many “monthly subscriptions” would be required, vs. an annual one.

22 minutes ago, Frosty said:

It would have been an added bonus if Tread Mag published the series dates in the same article, to help guide the decision on how many “monthly subscriptions” would be required, vs. an annual one.

Mail them, maybe they’ll do it. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Underachiever said:

The F..ers.

No Giro on DSTv it seems!!!!

But full coverage of the ladies Vuelta, and repeating the highlights of certain classics

I just checked the schedule and Giro only starts on the 4th or am I missing something?

14 hours ago, Underachiever said:

The F..ers.

No Giro on DSTv it seems!!!!

But full coverage of the ladies Vuelta, and repeating the highlights of certain classics

The more things change, the more it stays the same ....

dstv has a long history of buying the rights, then geoblocking other sources.  Come race day somebody makes the call and the premium wheels sport of the day is not broadcast live.

With umpteen channels broadcasting ball sports ....

Exactly why we switched off SS about 15 years ago.