Biogen Bars Underfilled

love2fly

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You do know that this is a totally mechanical process. It is not as if someone sits there checking each bar. I don't know the bars, but of it is chocolate coated or has largish bits in it the weight will always differ and damn 9g is so easy to have a deviation in weight. 

When the items are tested for accuracy I am sure the do bulk testing so then weights would even out. 

Edit:

Looking at the testing methodology required for checking weights are you sure your scale meets the requirements?

09-chptr2-h133-15-final.pdf

Edited by TDFN

4 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Is this the right time to open up the whole 'I usually exercise way more than 12 hours a week and haven't eaten a bar in decades' discussion? 😶

Neither have I. But I do drink liters of hammers perpetuem fuel to augment my salty baby spud regime on long days out.

14 hours ago, love2fly said:

Nope. Package weight statement nust be Nett. My weights include packaging  so the others are about on. The one is close to 9g under. That's a fair %. Imagine you pay to fill your cars tank but rather than 50 litres you get 43 but pay for 50. I know it's a little but their refusal to reply gets me annoyed.

Don't get me started; fuel should also be sold by mass as there is expansion (and contraction) related to volume.

2 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

That is 9g of filler you aren’t eating. Be glad. 

USN and Biogen is garbage in my opinion. 

What is better which are manufactured in SA? The imported bars/gels costing over R30 each is way too expensive. 

3 minutes ago, Titleist said:

What is better which are manufactured in SA? The imported bars/gels costing over R30 each is way too expensive. 

I'm using Fastbars in conjunction with GT Gel. Just to mix it up between gels and bars.

Whether they're good or not I could not tell you, they do what they need to for me.

6 minutes ago, Titleist said:

Make your own with dates, oats and various combinations of nuts and seeds, cocoa etc for flavour variety. They work out to about R1 per bar.

13 minutes ago, Titleist said:

A peanut butter and jam sandwich, or banans to be honest or home made date bars with seeds, nuts, etc as wolver said.. 

If I really push a very long ride and I don't have space I use Scratch. I don't cheap out on nutrition. 

USN gels works fine for me. I prefer something to chew, but when I do a road ride with a few hasty friends, chewing doesn't work.

1 hour ago, wolver said:

Make your own with dates, oats and various combinations of nuts and seeds, cocoa etc for flavour variety. They work out to about R1 per bar.

I'll search online for recipes as baking/cooking is something I do a lot of. My immediate interest is getting it to set but not melt on hot days. Been taking a breadroll with ham made in 2 portions and works well.

22 minutes ago, love2fly said:

I'll search online for recipes as baking/cooking is something I do a lot of. My immediate interest is getting it to set but not melt on hot days. Been taking a breadroll with ham made in 2 portions and works well.

I've been making my own for a while and no two batches are ever the same, even if i try😂  Keeps it interesting i guess.

You must have big pockets to fit a ham roll into! The nice thing about the date bars is that you can pack the nutrients you need into a matchbox sized snack.

2 hours ago, wolver said:

2 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

A peanut butter and jam sandwich, or banans to be honest or home made date bars with seeds, nuts, etc as wolver said.. 

If I really push a very long ride and I don't have space I use Scratch. I don't cheap out on nutrition. 

4 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Is this the right time to open up the whole 'I usually exercise way more than 12 hours a week and haven't eaten a bar in decades' discussion? 😶

all of this.

OP eats bars regularly for training purposes?

11 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

all of this.

OP eats bars regularly for training purposes?

I eat a variety about 10 min into start of a 50km plus ride then eat something else later on