Taking your camera with you on bike rides.

Steady Spin

My love of photography and cycling needs to come together. 

Taking photos with my phone is cool and all but I would like to take my Fuji XT3 with a 18mm pancake lens with me on rides. 

I find that putting it in my hip or backpack means I don't really take it out to take photos. 

Looking at a Relevate Mag-Tank 2000 to give me quick access and to keep it safe. 

What are you using in terms of gear and a bag to carry it in?

Edited by Steady Spin

Plus 1 for cycle touring. Fuji is a great camera but is it robust enough?

Nervous to take any of my kit on rides so got an Olympus tg6 which is bulletproof. Of course it's got a tiny sensor and barely as good as a cell phone camera but it can get muddy and be dropped and even stood on and comes up ready to shoot.

And shoots in raw which does redeem it slightly.

The Fuji should be plenty robust as long as it doesn't fall out of the bag. 

A friend dropped his in the ocean and it survived so I'm not too worried about the weather sealing. 

My Canon gear will stay safely at home through. 

2 hours ago, Mamil said:

Plus 1 for cycle touring. Fuji is a great camera but is it robust enough?

Nervous to take any of my kit on rides so got an Olympus tg6 which is bulletproof. Of course it's got a tiny sensor and barely as good as a cell phone camera but it can get muddy and be dropped and even stood on and comes up ready to shoot.

And shoots in raw which does redeem it slightly.

I have taken the Canon SX compact camera on rides .... when I carry a backpack.  Just dont see myself subjecting the camera to the vibrations it will experience on the top-tube.

I have considered taking the Powershot .... but again, will only do so in the backpack.

I've taken my 50d, complete with extra battery grip and 70-200 f4 lens on. But that was just on a few cruises around Sondela. Had it strapped around my neck wth the camera hanging by my chest. I wouldnt want to do anything even remotely techincal with that setup.

12 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I have taken the Canon SX compact camera on rides .... when I carry a backpack.  Just dont see myself subjecting the camera to the vibrations it will experience on the top-tube.

I have considered taking the Powershot .... but again, will only do so in the backpack.

yup. the human body is a great shock absorber

47 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Cameras are built to withstand a fair amount of abuse. I doubt carrying it in a padded bag will cause issues in the long run. It isn't subjected to continuous vibrations for days on end and mirrorless cameras also have fewer moving parts to worry about. 

I've put cameras through lots before on shoots and never an issue. 

1 hour ago, domnphoto said:

Wonky Donkey does a Snack Pack Stem bag that's great for carrying cameras - easy access as well. Check them out https://wonkydonkey.co.za/shop/

They also make custom bags, so they will definitely be able to help you out!

Nice site.

Any idea where they are ?  Only see a cellphone number ....