Nutrition for long rides

Op1

13 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Both Tim Noakes and Ross Tucker have said carb intake during exercise isn’t a problem. It’s the carbs intake outside of exercise. 

Some podcasts that cover the subject and a bit more.

Addressing endurance athlete gut issues https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/fast-talk/id1490521721?i=1000554354739

Tim Noakes on weight management (is it as simple as calories in vs calories out?)
https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/fast-talk/id1490521721?i=1000529685951

Ross Tucker on Fuel and Hydration
https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/the-real-science-of-sport-podcast/id1461719225?i=1000551178940

Thanks, will listen to these.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Frosty said:

Endure is mostly glucose, so you can only get 60g/hour into your system.

RacePro is a mix of glucose and fructose. They use different transporters in your body to get it into your system. 90g/hour.

Then, you can put close to 3 hours in one concentrated solution. Have a look at Mark’s video where he explains it.

Seem like a ripoff / copy of the Hammer Perpetuem Multi-Hour Bottle we used to use for Ironman 🤷‍♂️

Edited by _David_

2 hours ago, _David_ said:

Seem like a ripoff / copy of the Hammer Perpetuem Multi-Hour Bottle we used to use for Ironman 🤷‍♂️

All the good brands follow the good science which is independent, so while they look similar in formulation they aren't ripping off each other.
If you'd like to follow the science then you have many options following the same formulation for sure. Decision is then made on quality of ingredients, additives used, price, supporting local, and ethics*

*I don't buy good products from brands that push unproven (or proven to be useless) and sometimes even dangerous fad products on the rest of their consumer base...

36 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

All the good brands follow the good science which is independent, so while they look similar in formulation they aren't ripping off each other.
If you'd like to follow the science then you have many options following the same formulation for sure. Decision is then made on quality of ingredients, additives used, price, supporting local, and ethics*

*I don't buy good products from brands that push unproven (or proven to be useless) and sometimes even dangerous fad products on the rest of their consumer base...

no, it is fad diet or veganism off the bike, fasting on the bike and almond milk in between.

2 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

LOl... you sound like a 32GI salesman 😁
I bought a tub of RacePro from Dischem this morning will give it a go on Saturday. 

On 4/26/2022 at 8:30 AM, Pikey said:

I have found that a double shot of this all natural biogen sweet potato recovery / endurance shake before a ride has seemed to help me. Have done a few longer rides than usual of late and I took this before . I obviously also eat my usual muesli . 

Also use a single shot of 250ml for recovery as well. 

Not sure if it’s the placebo effect but a 90 km mtb ( Longish mtb ride for me) ride on Sunday and felt fairly strong ( for me) throughout . Oh and it tastes sh#te . Did use 2 gels and a cheap  energy bar whilst riding , endurade raw from spar. Find them easy to digest. Had  32Gi sport chew bar with me but didn’t need it,which was surprising to say the least.

Riding time was just over 4hrs so something is helping me thinks.

oh and the biogen sweet potato shake is cheap in comparison to other makes.

just my 2c.

And I am not a vegan or vegetarian. 

67CB9141-7482-4732-9E42-BDA849C7E5D9.jpeg

5D893FF8-A720-49F8-9339-03F5CD568334.jpeg

Thanks, actually going to give this a try…

(this after me mentioning one banana, and a bottle of water!). ;)

4 minutes ago, _David_ said:

I bought a tub of RacePro from Dischem this morning will give it a go on Saturday. 

nope !

46 minutes ago, _David_ said:

😃
If I were on 32GI, it wouldn't be Race Pro... 
I'm on Vigo Nutrition.

I don't want to do the maths on how much I was taking in at SA champs road race but it was a lot... 14 gels, 6 bottles of carb mix (can't remember how many grams per bottle), and 2 rice cakes. For just over 4.5h. 

1 hour ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I don't want to do the maths on how much I was taking in at SA champs road race but it was a lot... 14 gels, 6 bottles of carb mix (can't remember how many grams per bottle), and 2 rice cakes. For just over 4.5h. 

that's 280g of gels, 62g per hour, considering you weigh 30kgs that's already more than enough !

did you really smash this many gels ? I think I never had more than 3 or 4 in one ride 🤣

2 hours ago, _David_ said:

Please let us know what you think of it. I bought it about 2 years ago and I just didn't like it's chocolate taste. I've moved around from 32Gi Endure, High5, Enduren, Sponsor, ProBar and others until I found Selati sugar and I never looked back - last Saturday I just did the Cullinan to Tonteldoos MTB 255km on Selati with ease. 

52 minutes ago, Job said:

Please let us know what you think of it. I bought it about 2 years ago and I just didn't like it's chocolate taste. I've moved around from 32Gi Endure, High5, Enduren, Sponsor, ProBar and others until I found Selati sugar and I never looked back - last Saturday I just did the Cullinan to Tonteldoos MTB 255km on Selati with ease. 

How do you dilute the sugar? 
As is, warm water, other method?

Assume you don’t have gastric problems?

I have a story on the Tic-Tac manufacturing process, when I worked for the company that made them. 72 tons of Selati was purchased monthly, and I k ow how they diluted their sugar to get a 99% concentration for the next process.

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

How do you dilute the sugar? 
As is, warm water, other method?

Assume you don’t have gastric problems?

I have a story on the Tic-Tac manufacturing process, when I worked for the company that made them. 72 tons of Selati was purchased monthly, and I k ow how they diluted their sugar to get a 99% concentration for the next process.

Yes I prepare it the night before with boiling water then let him cool down before putting it in the fridge to use it the following day. I must admit at first my stomach wasn't too happy but I slowly got used to it and as I got used to it I increased the concentration, sometimes I add a spoon of game powder for a different taste.

20 minutes ago, Job said:

Yes I prepare it the night before with boiling water then let him cool down before putting it in the fridge to use it the following day. I must admit at first my stomach wasn't too happy but I slowly got used to it and as I got used to it I increased the concentration, sometimes I add a spoon of game powder for a different taste.

Whatever works. I guess... works.

From my searching the interwebs, and speaking to a few in the know, too much fructrose is more of a problem than the sucrose. At 1:1, 100g would mean 50g of fructose, which I think is where some say it's too much.

40 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Whatever works. I guess... works.

From my searching the interwebs, and speaking to a few in the know, too much fructrose is more of a problem than the sucrose. At 1:1, 100g would mean 50g of fructose, which I think is where some say it's too much.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/255958218_Fructose-Maltodextrin_Ratio_Governs_Exogenous_and_Other_CHO_Oxidation_and_Performance

In this O'Brien et all study they found that anything between 0.8-1.0 is the most optimal as you can see on the extract highlighted in red. So as long as your gut is trained to take that fructose you should be okay and should work more or less the same as the SIS's 1:0.8 but like I said it took a while for my gut to get used to it.

image.png.feba6417c54fa6c3a9ff0cab8fb132d1.png

Edited by Job