Which is the Best Sealant for Inner Tubes?

Joel

Out of Enduro Seal, Fugit, and Sludge, which is the best option for INNER TUBES on gravel bikes? I maintain a fleet of 30+ bikes so I am looking for a reliable option. Tubeless is not an option at this point.

9339a1d1-eaee-4262-b5f2-ae8b55cd592f.jpg

Joel I have used SLUDGE with great success for the last 5 years, on a range of bikes with tubes.

It has only ONCE not worked to seal a tube .... on my gravel bike (okay, a HT with C50 tires on) .... the next 70km to get home was nerve racking ....

I did not have another tube, and the spare tube did not have any sealant in it .... removed a couple of thorns, which thankfully did not puncture the tube.

Should add that I KNOW that SLUDGE DID seal MANY thorn holes in the time I used it. :thumbup:

34 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Short answer none 

Long answer: Everyone will have their opinion on which is best but in all honesty tubeless is the best and widely available for gravel bikes now ..... so tubeless is the best 

no opinion....FACT: tubeless doesn't work for well or at all on vintage bikes, and no sane long distance touring cyclist would use it either. You just cant bargain on the fact that some place in the middle of buttF-nowhere will have your tire latex of choice lol...so you need something you can fix yourself or just plonk something in there you can get at literally a 'bikeshop' in a township. 

You probably musnt use tubless either if you have a lfeet of bikes where one only gets used every now and then. everybody knows what happens when that crap sits and sits. 

...non tubeless is still plenty valid for plenty of applications imo. Hell I still run it when i just dont feel like the mess.

OP: Ive had the sludge in my vintage bike's tubes forever and no punctures so i guess it's fine...or maybe i'm just lucky, but ive done plenty of 100km rides on it without taking spare tubes, and no issues yet.  

ive read on here that enduro seal also works a charm in tubes (the guy that rode from I think Limpopo to Agulhas on a touring bike.

I use enduro seal in my tubeless bikes. good stuff. 

Edited by MORNE

2 hours ago, Joel said:

Out of Enduro Seal, Fugit, and Sludge, which is the best option for INNER TUBES on gravel bikes? I maintain a fleet of 30+ bikes so I am looking for a reliable option. Tubeless is not an option at this point.

Pop me a DM.

i am the agent for OrangeSeal.

It’s the best in business. 
we can work out a bulk discount for you 

I have been using both Enduroseal and Sportsman's Warehouse Sealant - they have one that is supposed to be for specifically for tubes. I used this in my sons' BMXes as well as their and my wife's MTB.

My wife and my kids have done quite a few trails and also did Sondela Trail seeker that had MANY serious thorns without issue. At some point my wife's bike developed a leak when I removed a massive thorn but a little top-up with Enduroseal sorted it out.

Both worked equally well so far. The only reason I used the Sportsman's one was that I was out of Enduroseal and I picked the cheapest one at the time.

+1 for Sludge.

Not sure if there's any difference between the mtb "uniseal" vs road "pro series", but I use the road one. Had 5 punctures in 3 days on 38c gravel tyres that seem to have a thorn magnet in the tread. 50ml in each tube and not a single flat since. 

I use Enduroseal on tubeless setups, and decant the big bottle into old Sludge bottles. Handy for topping up, and carrying on longer tours and less plastic wastage. 

Edit: I see they do sell 1litre bottles but it's double the price of enduroseal, and bizarrely enough, it's nearly R100 cheaper to buy 10x100ml than 1x1litre

Edited by RossTopher

Flip sealed just dont work in tubes, the thorn or piece of glass sit in the whole and moves all the time and the hole dont seal.  You have better luck with those rim strips between the tyre and tube, would be cheaper as well. 

10 hours ago, Furbz said:

Pop me a DM.

i am the agent for OrangeSeal.

It’s the best in business. 
we can work out a bulk discount for you 

Good to know

13 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Short answer none 

Long answer: Everyone will have their opinion on which is best but in all honesty tubeless is the best and widely available for gravel bikes now ..... so tubeless is the best 

Thanks for the feedback. Problem is buying 60 new tubeless ready rims is not financially practical so Im going for second best.

• 1 year later...
On 5/10/2022 at 6:48 PM, Joel said:

I use enduro seal in my road bike tubes and spare getmehome Mtb tube. It has not failed me in terms of plugging a puncture. Cuts longer than 6mm won’t be plugged by anything other than a plug which will only work in a ti else’s set up