Ebike on sani2c

Kwagga van Zyl

11 hours ago, Mattman said:

I agree that there needs to be measures to separate ebikes in races. I had a similar experience riding Amohela recently where a lady on an ebike passed most people on the hills and then doesn't have the skill or balls to ride the technical descent or small drop, causing every to go down at snails pace which is VERY dangerous.

Nothing wrong with ebikes, just keep them completely separate to those that want to use their legs only, which is the vast majority of riders.

On day 2 there was also a chap dragging/cutting wind for an echelon of Mamils for the first 30 odd km's on the open gravel roads.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/7/2022 at 2:03 PM, JarradVZ said:

So...

I now have an opinion on this topic. We rode Nonstop this past weekend and had a pair of e-bikes clearly racing us (for some reason). They managed to get past us on "day 3" and ended up crossing the finish line first. Because of this, Farmer Glen on the lead bike was with them instead of us. He said he could hardly keep up because they were gunning their little Bosch motors so hard. If it weren't for that, Glen would have been with us when we made our nav error 2km from home (we followed some identical markers apparently laid out by trail runners) that cost us the overall victory. I am not blaming them for our mistake, just noting that things could have been different if they behaved differently.

I reckon e-bikes are welcome but they should stay the hell away from guys racing for real podiums.

Specialized do not use Bosch motors

20 minutes ago, Pieterlab1 said:

Specialized do not use Bosch motors

Thanks, Pieter. I really don't care what brand the bikes or their motors were though. 

The e-bikes didn’t race you they raced themselves…..how should they have acted? Are they not allowed to race themselves/other e-bikes?

3 minutes ago, WalterM said:

The e-bikes didn’t race you they raced themselves…..how should they have acted? Are they not allowed to race themselves/other e-bikes?

There were no other ebikes closeby. They should not have mixed with the top 2 regular teams. Like mentioned, the race outcome could be different if they had not interfered. 

I do not understand why they had to prove they could win the normal teams.

1 minute ago, W@nted said:

There were no other ebikes closeby. They should not have mixed with the top 2 regular teams. Like mentioned, the race outcome could be different if they had not interfered. 

I do not understand why they had to prove they could win the normal teams.

Because the two top teams didn't know how to use a gps?

3 minutes ago, Pieterlab1 said:

Is it because they hurt your feelings?

You sound angry?

Jarrad's team was leading the race.

When the ebikes came past, the lead motorbike stayed with the ebikes team. Jarred's team unfortunately made a navigational error, losing the race in the last few km after 13 hours of racing.

Had the lead motorbike stayed with Jarreds team, they would not have ventured of course.

I would be angry.

As I said we, yes it was me and my buddy, never raced you we raced ourselves. We also had navigation issues and somewhere in the dark we got lost for about 5km who can we blame for this?  I race e-bike, normal mtb and road bike depends on the day and what I want to ride so does the specific bike I choose exclude me from racing myself?

2 minutes ago, Pieterlab1 said:

Because the two top teams didn't know how to use a gps?

Haha, have you tried navigating on singletrack while racing for the win? Not so easy. It was also stated that route marking (where they were made) overrules gps routing. They then wrongly followed a trial run marking. Very easy to do after racing since 2 Am.

Anyway, I feel sorry for them. Such is racing?

2 minutes ago, W@nted said:

Jarrad's team was leading the race.

When the ebikes came past, the lead motorbike stayed with the ebikes team. Jarred's team unfortunately made a navigational error, losing the race in the last few km after 13 hours of racing.

Had the lead motorbike stayed with Jarreds team, they would not have ventured of course.

I would be angry.

So you are saying they needed a motorbike to win the race?

Just now, Pieterlab1 said:

Nope, I am saying the outcome could have been different. In the end it was self navigating, so the wrong turn should not be an excuse. 

Maybe the lead bike should have stayed with the normal riders?

1 minute ago, Pieterlab1 said:

Yoh, some people need drawings and highlighters to understand 🤷🏻‍♂️..

is it Friday already? 🍿

Just now, throttles said:

Yoh, some people need drawings and highlighters to understand 🤷🏻‍♂️..

is it Friday already? 🍿

Hi Throttie my boy! You back?

1 minute ago, W@nted said:

Nope, I am saying the outcome could have been different. In the end it was self navigating, so the wrong turn should not be an excuse. 

Maybe the lead bike should have stayed with the normal riders?

Exactly, so why blame the ebike riders when actually its the lead bike and the top teams lack of navigational skills that should be blamed?