Ebike on sani2c

Kwagga van Zyl

I did my 2de sani2c this year . 
for the first time I was really worried by the ebikes riding in-between the real riders . I found them mostly unfit to do the ride but their skills level was far below what was needed to ride the event . They ride up the hills and you must make way and then stop at the top to rest and bock the trails up on the single track . We then work hard to pas and we repeat the hole thing at the next hill . 15 Times a day  … every time it is a risk for some one to fall and really irritating .
can race organisers not start them 30 min before any of the real MTB  riders ? It is a bicycle race and not electric bike race or can we enter with a 125 cc petrol bike next year ? 

I do believe the is a place for ebikes but dont think they deserve the same medal or the recognition for riding up iconic on a ebike like we did under our own power …

What is your experience in this regard  

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Kwagga van Zyl said:

I did my 2de sani2c this year . 
for the first time I was really worried by the ebikes riding in-between the real riders . I found them mostly unfit to do the ride but their skills level was far below what was needed to ride the event . They ride up the hills and you must make way and then stop at the top to rest and bock the trails up on the single track . We then work hard to pas and we repeat the hole thing at the next hill . 15 Times a day  … every time it is a risk for some one to fall and really irritating .
can race organisers not start them 30 min before any of the real MTB  riders ? It is a bicycle race and not electric bike race or can we enter with a 125 cc petrol bike next year ? 

I do believe the is a place for ebikes but dont think they deserve the same medal or the recognition for riding up iconic on a ebike like we did under our own power …

What is your experience in this regard  

Lol. Yes to everything you wrote. Also more likely to have bad wipeouts because of power of bike and lack of skill. The oldest rider was pretty banged up at the end on his ebike. Hero that he is. 

I can see what the organisers are trying to achieve with the ebikes, giving less capable people the chance to take part. However, we are talking about ebike tourism here. The bikes are too powerful, riders too unfit. Something that takes away from my achievement in riding Sani.

ebike this ebike that, people on ebike this , people on ebike that wawawaw 

SOMEONE CALL A WAMBULANCE 

this complaining about ebikes is getting boring

ride your bike and stop worrying what everyone else is doing

Edited by herrowpreeze

8 minutes ago, herrowpreeze said:

ebike this ebike that, people on ebike this , people on ebike that wawawaw 

SOMEONE CALL A WAMBULANCE 

this complaining about ebikes is getting boring

And if you get hurt because someone couldn't control their ebike?

I agree that e-bikers blasting past (and in some cases forcing their way through) is at the very least unpleasant for all, if not dangerous. If we e-bikers don't learn some respect for the other riders and decent manners, there are going to be consequences. 

I recently rode in an event with a mix of e-bikes (I would guess about 20% of the field) and non assisted bikes. Being very conscious of the frustration of having e-bikers blast past on the uphill’s and then hold the more experienced and skill non assisted riders up on the downhills, I started mid pack and then very slowly moved my way up the field to the point where I was comfortably sitting with the pack on the downhills. Once there, I adjusted the e-bikes output to where I was working hard on the ups, going at the same pace as the group I was with. End result was a great blend of e-bike and non-assisted riding along in relative harmony. 

I believe that we (eBikers) can ride in harmony with non-assisted if we are considerate of others. 

When there are large numbers riding the same trails one can’t “just ride your bike and stop worrying what everyone else is doing”. That is exactly the reason we are seeing posts like the OP. The attitude of, I am ok, ….. everyone else, is the problem, not the eBike itself. 

Honestly didn't have many issues with them, aside for the lack of skill part, and the utter soul destroying side of them zooming past me on the uphills. But knowing I could complete that race without the aid of a motor, makes it all good with the world again.

Agree that they perhaps need their own batches, and start a little later than everyone else, but I guess the only answer is to ride more, get fitter, and start in a higher batch, so they won't bother you as much.

9 minutes ago, throttles said:

And if you get hurt because someone couldn't control their ebike?

did you get hurt because someone couldn't control their ebike ?

39 minutes ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

Maybe they don't want recognition or a medal .. they just want to ride awesome trails that they can't  ride without the event.

Then they shouldn't push normal riders off their lines going uphill and 'wait' in line like the rest.

32 minutes ago, herrowpreeze said:

Can't.
Ebike is in front of me going slow downhill on 'n single track.

Also.....Can't
Because the eBike skill is zero and I worry I will crash with it choosing the wrong line

@BaGearA Not yet.. 🙄

This is not a personal attack on anyone.. Remember "With great power comes great responsibility"

In the last 5 Road races I've done the ebike guys are "not mindfull" and add additional risk by zooming very close past you on uphills (one hit my handlebar, with no apology) only for me to pass them on the downhill and longish flats due to their ebike motor restrictions. I gave the guy a propper chirp, he was younger than me and very able bodied..

But in an altercation ebike vs non motorized who'll be more at fault?

pedestrian vs bicycle

bicycle vs motorbike

motorbike vs car

car vs truck/bike

My thinking is around other reports/threads where ebikes go rogue and in the most recent it was a ladies bike that went bos. Then you have the unfit/unskilled people riding ebikes in an event where above average skill is required.

5 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

did you get hurt because someone couldn't control their ebike ?

I had to pass 15 times on single track and got passed ( up hill) by same riders 15 times every day and that is always a risk . They also keep running into my back wheel and trying to be nice and moving over and them stopping to rest does get to me … again and again … the way they cut in is not good for relations ..please can they just start behind us and if they are faster than us they can pas and carry on but to ride at the same pace with the yo-yo effect it’s me and them it is dangerous… think they can start 60min  behind the field with their advantage and every one will be happy ..

I think it is great for them to enjoy the trail also but in my batch … that is why there is seeding ?  

Just now, Spinnekop said:

Own batches for eBikes please.
Like, with the ladies, they deserve their own "ride"

Perhaps have a slightly different route where it's too steep for a normal rider so they can put their ebikes to the test (deviate around a single track area where bottlenecks are expected). this will also be a variance in route profile and distance so at the end of the race you'll see who on ebikes didn't follow the rules and DQ them and also. Charge the ebike guys more to manage the additional marshal/resource costs.