• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Pieterlab1 said:

Hi Throttie my boy! You back?

Never left sir.. can I get u anything?

dentures, walking stick, warm blanket? 🫣

1 hour ago, W@nted said:

Nope, I am saying the outcome could have been different. In the end it was self navigating, so the wrong turn should not be an excuse. 

Maybe the lead bike should have stayed with the normal riders?

Sorry .... the motorbike should FOLLOW the riders, irrespective of standard or ebike.

Your results, and that of any other rider should be YOUR RESULT.

"Needing" a lead bike to do the navigation is wrong on so many levels ......

The ONLY "wrong thing" in this entire thread is the fact that the runners directional boards added to your navigational issues.

It sounds like this ebike pair did the CORRECT thing - they caught, past and got out of there.   

I am doing an event next week, on my ebike ... if I do catch any riders my plan is:

1. follow them until it is safe to pass, and then get away.  (dont pass dangerously, dont let riders gain an advantage by slipping me)

2.  Make sure to not be a road block to faster riders on single track sections ....

3.  Then again, I DO plan to stop a few times for photos .....

9 hours ago, dave303e said:

On day 2 there was also a chap dragging/cutting wind for an echelon of Mamils for the first 30 odd km's on the open gravel roads.

THIS is the type of behaviour that is going to cause the trouble ..... 

Which just once again shows why the ebikes should start some 20 minutes later ..... the few that then do grab a tow is so far behind it wont make any difference in any case ....

17 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Sorry .... the motorbike should FOLLOW the riders, irrespective of standard or ebike.

Your results, and that of any other rider should be YOUR RESULT.

"Needing" a lead bike to do the navigation is wrong on so many levels ......

The ONLY "wrong thing" in this entire thread is the fact that the runners directional boards added to your navigational issues.

It sounds like this ebike pair did the CORRECT thing - they caught, past and got out of there.   

I am doing an event next week, on my ebike ... if I do catch any riders my plan is:

1. follow them until it is safe to pass, and then get away.  (dont pass dangerously, dont let riders gain an advantage by slipping me)

2.  Make sure to not be a road block to faster riders on single track sections ....

3.  Then again, I DO plan to stop a few times for photos .....

I'll try one more time...

I am in no way blaming what happened on the e-bike team. We accept full responsibility for our unfortunate mistake. Neither am I bitter or angry towards the riders, they seemed like nice enough dudes and were careful when they did pass us and got far enough ahead that they didn't delay us on the technical descents. We only really saw them at checkpoints.

I just pointed out that, unwittingly, them being ahead on the final sector may have affected our race outcome.

In terms of the lead bike being with e-bikes - I must disagree. I spoke to Glen afterwards who said that he had never been so stressed on lead-bike duty, even with the pros on the Sani2c race. He said that the e-bikes go just as fast uphill as down making it really difficult and dangerous to be able to mark hazards, open gates, put down markers etc. He said he may have seen and removed the markers that caused us to go wrong if he weren't stressing about staying ahead.

He mentioned that there would be some rule changes next year to try and avoid these types of issues. Separate day? Separate start time? Not sure. I suppose we will see next year.

I take it this was on the Sani2c all nighter? I must say I can't actually understand why there is even room for an eBike category on a very hard endurance event like this? Then again is this kind of ultra event so different to the normal S2C? I'm confused.

39 minutes ago, JarradVZ said:

I'll try one more time...

I am in no way blaming what happened on the e-bike team. We accept full responsibility for our unfortunate mistake. Neither am I bitter or angry towards the riders, they seemed like nice enough dudes and were careful when they did pass us and got far enough ahead that they didn't delay us on the technical descents. We only really saw them at checkpoints.

I just pointed out that, unwittingly, them being ahead on the final sector may have affected our race outcome.

In terms of the lead bike being with e-bikes - I must disagree. I spoke to Glen afterwards who said that he had never been so stressed on lead-bike duty, even with the pros on the Sani2c race. He said that the e-bikes go just as fast uphill as down making it really difficult and dangerous to be able to mark hazards, open gates, put down markers etc. He said he may have seen and removed the markers that caused us to go wrong if he weren't stressing about staying ahead.

He mentioned that there would be some rule changes next year to try and avoid these types of issues. Separate day? Separate start time? Not sure. I suppose we will see next year.

Despite some of the puerile trolling of your post. It's good that you take the time to objectively point out the issues that came about. It's the kind of feedback that's important in a discussion that needs to be had and action that needs to be taken. 
Just ignore the idiots on either side of the fence. 

On 5/18/2022 at 8:54 AM, Spinnekop said:

At Magalies monster there were quiet a few e bike riders .The only gripe i have is on technical climbs where most normal bike riders are walking already and the e biker wants to pass instead of pushing his heavy bike .Not the way to make new friends ! ,but it is something we have to get use to  i reckon

43 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I take it this was on the Sani2c all nighter? I must say I can't actually understand why there is even room for an eBike category on a very hard endurance event like this? Then again is this kind of ultra event so different to the normal S2C? I'm confused.

I can guess that there still is a challenge in finishing an ultra event on an ebike. Managing effort/batteries etc on such a long event and to see if the bike/man/battery combo can finish in one piece.  Humans always seem to find the next challenge.

The real challenge to organisers and participants is to let some sun shine on all and to keep the ebikes from interfering with the overall results.