[Event] Trans Augrabies MTB - 2022 Challenge

ChrisF

Event Name: Trans Augrabies MTB - 2022 Challenge
When: 16/06/2022 - 18/06/2022
Where: , Augrabies, Northern Cape
Category: Mountain Bike

The 2022 Trans-Augrabies MTB - 3-Day Stage Race will take riders through the majestic Green Kalahari region of South Africa, following the unique landscapes that make up the Augrabies Falls National Park, the legendary community of Riemvasmaak, and the wild landscapes of Khamkirri - covering more than 227 Kilometers over several types of terrain and expected weather conditions.

Riders and companions will get to discover a region of our country recently rated under the Top Ten Adventure destinations by Rough Guides. A vast and desolate land contrasted by the green and vibrant valley of the mighty Gariep (Orange) River.

It is by no means an easy race, but riders will be rewarded with breathtaking scenery and an authentic regional experience.

PLEASE NOTE :

1. Riders can register for all three days, or for some of the days only.
  2. The organisers have booked out Augrabies SANS Park for the long weekend. Contact Lani directly to book accommodation in the park - info@transaugrabies.co.za
  3. Logistics are super easy as each ride is a different "out-and-back-loop".

Go to Event Page.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

@DJuice hope to see you at Augrabies.

ChrisF not riding.

Just yesterday lend my bike to a friend to ride.

The wife`s bike is still there😬

Not been my best cycling year to date, took on a bit to much work, renovating an old house and the children got up-to some mischief that left the little one with a broken leg. If that is all I have to complain, life is good to us.

If all works out, will come through for one of the days to support!

Hubber`s please support our local region event!

It is not technical, but long days in the saddle. The meals supplied by tannie Keppie Spangenberg is legendary.

This place is magical, the landscape, the desert, quiver trees and our lifeline the mighty Orange River, I call this place home, will be my last resting place.

Looking forward to meet you in person.

Daar GAAN n braai vuur wees ..... :thumbup:

@DJuice I have been fortunate enough to cycle on some of the farms lower down the Orange river.  YES, this is truly a magical landscape.

Having done a couple of game drives at Augrabies in the past I am hopeful that we may see some animals along the ride as well.

Registration time is running out ....

Hope to meet some Hubbers at Augrabies 👍

Bump ....

Last day for registration for this event.

Hope to see many Hubbers there :thumbup:

12 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Bump ....

Last day for registration for this event.

Hope to see many Hubbers there :thumbup:

First day of frost!

Lekker chilly this morning, were -2 on my jog slog this morning.

After nine, the sun is out and the temperature rises very quickly to around 23.

1 hour ago, DJuice said:

First day of frost!

Lekker chilly this morning, were -2 on my jog slog this morning.

After nine, the sun is out and the temperature rises very quickly to around 23.

Okayyyyy .... ❄️ ❄️

EXTRA thermal layers will be packed in .... :P

Pre-covid we worked on a farm in the area.  They were burning hay-bales to protect the vineyards from frost bite .... it was COLD !!!  This was about an hour after sunrise.

Before lunch it was mid 20's .....

Going to be super interesting to cycle past Blouputs .... having worked on some of these farms in the past.

Super excited for this event.  :clap:

Chris the long term weather projection is a bit colder day temperatures for that week but not below freezing in the early mornings. Hopefully the prior weeks weather is on the cards for the cyclist.

It normally quickly heats up, if you can look after your feet, hands and ears minimal warm clothing is needed. Many rides in undervest, arm warmers, cycle top and gilet.

Some of the farmers has invested in frost fans that work of PV`s, impressive when they start up, personally I take cover behind a vehicle.

Even seen a helicopter flight or two to prevent black frost.

Just some of the many reasons I am fond of the region!

As if the freezing cold is not bad enough on its own the most of the routes take you through 2 or 3 deep streams right after the start just to make sure your feet are properly wet... 🥶

3 hours ago, Super Sywurm said:

This is a bucket list event for me, but not this year.

Certainly a bucket list ride for us as well.

Very glad the planets lined up, and that I can do it this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some feedback from friends in Kakamas.

After nearly 6 months the river has recently dropped back to normal levels.

As much as I wanted to see falls in full action .... GLAD the water crossings should be back to normal levels.

On 6/10/2022 at 10:22 PM, ChrisF said:

Got some feedback from friends in Kakamas.

After nearly 6 months the river has recently dropped back to normal levels.

As much as I wanted to see falls in full action .... GLAD the water crossings should be back to normal levels.

Chris from my last enquiry, stage 3 is going to use an alternative route and will not be crossing the river over the make shift bridge, the water level was just to high and only dropped significantly last week.

Still almost 1m above our normal swim and fishing hole, only Charlie the golden retriever brave enough for the cold water and water levels.