Garmin Edge 530 Question

love2fly

Howdy

I've recently migrated to a Garmin Edge 530 on my roadbike but still use my Bryton on my MTB. And I don't want to use one computer and toggle etc. For me one gps one bike works better.

Question: On my Bryton if I measure 6 metrics they are neatly divided into 6 equal sized quadrants but on the Garmin the best I can get is one large metric and the rest are small - is there some way to divide the Garmin screen into 6 equal spaces?

Edited by love2fly

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure the IQ store will have a data field that does what you want, may take some digging to find it though.

8 minutes ago, droo said:

Pretty sure the IQ store will have a data field that does what you want, may take some digging to find it though.

Hi Droo. I'm happy with the data fields I'm measuring but would like the display to reflect 6 equally sized quadrants. Should I still look in the IQ store?

Yup. Heap of customisable fields in there, I've got one for my Fenix that does 8. The 530 supports custom fields, and I doubt you're the first oke in the world that wants this, so someone's most likely done something similar.

By data field, they don't mean the metrics - it's how everything's laid out.

Otherwise I'll trade you for my 130, which has exactly what you're after...

Edited by droo
Clarity

15 minutes ago, droo said:

Yup. Heap of customisable fields in there, I've got one for my Fenix that does 8. The 530 supports custom fields, and I doubt you're the first oke in the world that wants this, so someone's most likely done something similar.

By data field, they don't mean the metrics - it's how everything's laid out.

Otherwise I'll trade you for my 130, which has exactly what you're after...

Thanks I'll give that a try. Ummm no chance on a trade for my nearly new 530. Other than smallish display and indistinct buttons I'm happy... 😊 

2 hours ago, love2fly said:

Howdy

I've recently migrated to a Garmin Edge 530 on my roadbike but still use my Bryton on my MTB. And I don't want to use one computer and toggle etc. For me one gps one bike works better.

Question: On my Bryton if I measure 6 metrics they are neatly divided into 6 equal sized quadrants but on the Garmin the best I can get is one large metric and the rest are small - is there some way to divide the Garmin screen into 6 equal spaces?

I believe the edge 530 has the ability to change both the layout as well as the number of metrics on a screen. Check YouTube. 

Love my Garmin 830 which is basically the 530 with a touchscreen. Pretty sure I can get 6 or 8 equally sized blocks.

Sometimes I imagine what my grandfather (who loved gadgets and had the first ever calculator watch) would say if he could see the tech on my wrist, in my pocket, on my bike. 

Does the 530/830/1030 have proper Map functionality when exploring trails?

Would be nice if there's some IQ app to have detailed map navigation - similar to using Strava on my cellphone.

Then you'd be able to see other trails/segments - feels like it's a garmin so it should have detailed maps but I struggle to find good info on this.

Edited by M L

22 minutes ago, M L said:

Does the 530/830/1030 have proper Map functionality when exploring trails?

Would be nice if there's some IQ app to have detailed map navigation - similar to using Strava on my cellphone.

Then you'd be able to see other trails/segments - feels like it's a garmin so it should have detailed maps but I struggle to find good info on this.

Same question ... for the 520

I tried the map on tar .... decided to go left around a park, instead of right, could not get back on the map again ....

PS .. certainly dont need it around here, but would like to understand the function for possible use in unknown areas

Edited by ChrisF

32 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

I find my 530 maps work great.

Plus if I detour it reroutes me back on course, no issues.

I take it you're talking about riding a route, so a map guided route. Then the route is preloaded.

I'm more referring to having a detailed map whilst riding (no preset route, just exploring). Preferably something with a Strava backing so that you can see the courses that others often ride, while you ride.

Edited by M L