Garmin Edge 530 Question

love2fly

36 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Same question ... for the 520

I tried the map on tar .... decided to go left around a park, instead of right, could not get back on the map again ....

PS .. certainly dont need it around here, but would like to understand the function for possible use in unknown areas

Ah - yeah I'm more interested in finding new routes as I ride. Had to use my phone's strava yesterday and it was so nice having a map of where I ride along with the regularly ridden routes mapped onto the area I rode.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can put the base map on the screen while you ride.

But that's just showing you roads and trails that exist. It's not really showing you a "route"/"course" (which I consider a logical connection of roads/trails).

You can ask it to create a course on the fly. I mostly use this to go "Back to start" once I've done some exploring and gotten myself lost, rather than following it from the start.

Hope that makes sense?

3 minutes ago, M L said:

Ah - yeah I'm more interested in finding new routes as I ride. Had to use my phone's strava yesterday and it was so nice having a map of where I ride along with the regularly ridden routes mapped onto the area I rode.

On your phone ... use Trailforks.  You can see the various trail options at each intersection ....

Now to hear if this "background map" could be loaded to Garmin ....

You can show the base map on your screen on the 530 and up, but it's a bit useless cos the screen is too small to really see what's going on. Same goes with the watches. If you're in a bind it may save you, but it's a proper faff.

2 hours ago, M L said:

Specifically for MTB the 530 will integrate with Trailforks for routing etc,

https://www.trailforks.com/garmin/

1 hour ago, droo said:

You can show the base map on your screen on the 530 and up, but it's a bit useless cos the screen is too small to really see what's going on. Same goes with the watches. If you're in a bind it may save you, but it's a proper faff.

Alright - that's a pitty.

Ordered a cheap phone strap to mount it to the stem/handlebar when I go searching for trails.

1 minute ago, M L said:

Well this looks promising.

Are you using it?

Embarrassingly, I went or my first MTB ride in almost a year this last weekend 😳 so no, I haven't been using it. Was spending all my time on the road bike for half Ironman (and then it went and got cancelled)

18 hours ago, guidodg said:

Edge 130 still kicks ass...and has the most legible display of the Edge series

I think my 1030 might disagree! 😃

3 minutes ago, droo said:

It might, but it's also about the size of a tablet...

True! Fortunately I'm not a weight weenie, just pedal a little harder. Saves on carrying 2 additional pairs of specs!

5 minutes ago, Stockman said:

True! Fortunately I'm not a weight weenie, just pedal a little harder. Saves on carrying 2 additional pairs of specs!

It's a great thing, I'd just be scared of crashing it off...

I got a mail back from the developer of one of the IQ apps/data fields...

Seems you can configure what you like as long as its around 2 columns of 4 rows and not 2 columns of 3.

So that doesn't help a soon to be 60 year old get all the fields bigger.

He and I are both German so it's going to go nowhere and end badly... 😢 😃 

6 hours ago, MongooseMan said:

You can ask it to create a course on the fly. I mostly use this to go "Back to start" once I've done some exploring and gotten myself lost, rather than following it from the start.

Hope that makes sense?

Getting lost is the best part of finding new trails/routes to ride.

4 hours ago, love2fly said:

I got a mail back from the developer of one of the IQ apps/data fields...

Seems you can configure what you like as long as its around 2 columns of 4 rows and not 2 columns of 3.

So that doesn't help a soon to be 60 year old get all the fields bigger.

He and I are both German so it's going to go nowhere and end badly... 😢 😃 

sounds like you need a edge 1030 or 1030+ 2 columns with 5 rows each max.

If you want a GPS bike computer that can route for you then the Sigma Rox 12.0 is the unit you want.

Sadly they have been of stock for about a year :(

10 hours ago, M L said:

I take it you're talking about riding a route, so a map guided route. Then the route is preloaded.

I'm more referring to having a detailed map whilst riding (no preset route, just exploring). Preferably something with a Strava backing so that you can see the courses that others often ride, while you ride.

If you can load the Komoot app it does routing. I haven't tried loading it on my 1030 because i'm afraid it will brick itself