Canyon vs Orbea vs Merida

samson99

Good afternoon hubland,

I am in the market for a new full suspension mtb, which needs to have 120mm suspension and XT level components.

I have narrowed it down to these 3 models, but cannot decide:

OIZ M PRO TR — Orbea

I like the personalise feature and this bike ticks all my boxes.

Lux Trail CF 7 | CANYON IE

Love the Canyon but see there is quite the shortage and not sure how i feel about the colour.

NINETY-SIX 7000 - MERIDA BIKES (merida-bikes.com)

This bike also looks amazing but the neon green is not to my liking. now if it came in the this colour, NINETY-SIX - MERIDA BIKES (merida-bikes.com).

What would you choose and why? To help, I previously had a Scott Spark and loved it but sold it prior to moving to Ireland. I have climbing and bombing downhill but not the downhill tracks. Comfortable with jumps to a degree and love singletrack. I know it seems like I know which model to pick but I really don't. 

Thanks in advance.

Ciao

S

36 minutes ago, samson99 said:

Good afternoon hubland,

I am in the market for a new full suspension mtb, which needs to have 120mm suspension and XT level components.

I have narrowed it down to these 3 models, but cannot decide:

OIZ M PRO TR — Orbea

I like the personalise feature and this bike ticks all my boxes.

Lux Trail CF 7 | CANYON IE

Love the Canyon but see there is quite the shortage and not sure how i feel about the colour.

NINETY-SIX 7000 - MERIDA BIKES (merida-bikes.com)

This bike also looks amazing but the neon green is not to my liking. now if it came in the this colour, NINETY-SIX - MERIDA BIKES (merida-bikes.com).

What would you choose and why? To help, I previously had a Scott Spark and loved it but sold it prior to moving to Ireland. I have climbing and bombing downhill but not the downhill tracks. Comfortable with jumps to a degree and love singletrack. I know it seems like I know which model to pick but I really don't. 

Thanks in advance.

Ciao

S

I would chose the one that doesn't have "but" in the sentence

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

I would chose the one that doesn't have "but" in the sentence

Same, not for that reason but just because I think the Orbea is probably a little bit superior to the Lux that hasn’t been changed in a while (unless I missed something) and the Merida I’ve never seen anyone riding one, if it was as good as their roadbikes we’d probably see more of them ? (I ride a Reacto and it’s fantastic)

Edited by Jbr

Small point ..the Orbea custom side is really cool BUT their paint work is not great, paint chips so stupid easy, saw model in the shop chip a big chunk just while guys were assembling. 

After few reviews I read, seems a common issue with the custom spray jobs .....

Personally I've had couple canyons....sick bikes but never had short travel

40 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Same, not for that reason but just because I think the Orbea is probably a little bit superior to the Lux that hasn’t been changed in a while (unless I missed something) and the Merida I’ve never seen anyone riding one, if it was as good as their roadbikes we’d probably see more of them ? (I ride a Reacto and it’s fantastic)

Now you’ve seen someone ride a 96 😉

40D3BA5D-B512-4ACF-8310-26EE267961D7.jpeg

I would choose a 96 every day of the week, but I’m biased. Only ever owned Merida MTBs, the 96-4000 I bought secondhand for R30k in January this year is my first DS bike and I’m loving every minute of riding it. The matt black colour is super nice imo. My riding style is long grinds and the odd Bottelary or Jonkers excursion. I bought the 96 for one reason: for long marathon rides and for me it simply works. Upgraded the wheelset and the shock. My only issue with the bike is the positioning of the bottle cage mounts, making it difficult to fit more cages inside the triangle. 

PS: the above foto was taken in the Tankwa, 2 weeks ago. It was a sweeet ride!

Edited by gemmerbal

5 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I said get the bike that does not have "but' in the sentence because the OP has already made up his mind even if he does'nt realise it. The orbea is his forever bike...............(till next year)

Probably very true sir 🤣

Definitely keen on the Orbea 

Edited by samson99

Orbea

Merida

Canyon

In that order.

If money was no object, the Orbea hands down. That clear carbon blue with gold, very nice!!!

Merida I feel is underated and actually good value for money. Their must be a reason why it is not available in US to compete directly with Epic.

Canyon their is an update coming. The Canyon Cllctv team is riding it.

Lucky you!! Cant go wrong with any of the three. 

Enjoy and many happy miles.

Edited by DJuice

17 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

imagine if we had a healthier fitter more intellectually agile government

I will say this much: with the way our politicians are sidestepping accountability, we should have an abundance of centres available for a while…