Ebike vs Motorcycle

Razor1972

Good morning Hubbers,

With the rising petrol price, I'm starting to look at getting a motorcycle to commute to work. Looking at spending between R40k-R60k for secondhand one. Then I started thinking, perhaps this is an opportunity to get a secondhand Ebike instead and using that to commute to work. Then I'll have a something to play around with on weekends as well. My house (Tokai) is 22km away from work (Pinelands). Oh and I can shower at work.

I would appreciate any advice on this subject. Am I being an idiot even comparing the two? Do any of you commute for that distance using an Ebike?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes sense for you to opt for either to save time and fuel. That said, why don't you just ride a normal bike?

I did some commuting on my road bike yesterday between Kenilworth and Tokai area to drop and fetch my car for a service. Unfortunately the trip from home to work is longer and I'd have to take back roads in dodgy areas with high traffic so its not an option for me. 

8 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Makes sense for you to opt for either to save time and fuel. That said, why don't you just ride a normal bike?

I did some commuting on my road bike yesterday between Kenilworth and Tokai area to drop and fetch my car for a service. Unfortunately the trip from home to work is longer and I'd have to take back roads in dodgy areas with high traffic so its not an option for me. 

That was my original plan, but it takes too long. I have to first do school in the mornings. Would've been great to keep fit. I am hoping an ebike would cut the commute down by at least half.

6 minutes ago, Razor1972 said:

That was my original plan, but it takes too long. I have to first do school in the mornings. Would've been great to keep fit. I am hoping an ebike would cut the commute down by at least half.

How much time are you looking to save?

My commute to the office via bicycle is roughly double that of my motorcycle (then need to factor in shower etc.) the fitness benefit is a no brainer though.

In rainy weather I would also be more prone to using my bicycle as opposed to riding the motorcycle in rain.

43 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

How much time are you looking to save?

My commute to the office via bicycle is roughly double that of my motorcycle (then need to factor in shower etc.) the fitness benefit is a no brainer though.

In rainy weather I would also be more prone to using my bicycle as opposed to riding the motorcycle in rain.

I think it'll take me 2hrs to Pinelands on a bike (maybe even more), since the plan is to do the greenbelt. That would make me far too late. 1hr would be great. I was surprised you chose a bike over motorcycle in the rain. Is it because of the danger?

3 minutes ago, Titan Racing Bikes said:

In your budget you can go for one of our eTransporter or Charge models and still save quite a bit of cash left over.

Thanks. Those are great deals, but I think if I go for an ebike, I'd choose a dual, because I'd want to use it for the mountain on weekends doing enduro riding.

1 hour ago, Razor1972 said:

I am hoping an ebike would cut the commute down by at least half.

Doubt it will happen, if your ride is relatively flat, your ebike should be restricted to 28/30kph or so. Cruising on a roadbike should be around that kind of speeds if it's flat, on a MTB (not ebike) you can easily come down to around 25 for the same kind of effort, still shouldn't take you twice the time.

Coming back on the subject, I would not hesitate given your statement, if you don't enjoy riding motorbikes outside of you commutes but think you'll enjoy riding an e-mountainbike then I'd go for it. It's safer (if you don't ride through hotspots, otherwise motorbike is safer) because you are not really in traffic, you get wet or cold the same as on the motorbike and the trip duration shouldn't be much longer.

Edited by Jbr

3 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Doubt it will happen, if your ride is relatively flat, your ebike should be restricted to 28/30kph or so. Cruising on a roadbike should be around that kind of speeds if it's flat, on a MTB (not ebike) you can easily come down to around 25 for the same kind of effort, still shouldn't take you twice the time.

Coming back on the subject, I would not hesitate given your statement, if you don't enjoy riding motorbikes outside of you commutes but think you'll enjoy riding an e-mountainbike then I'd go for it. It's safer (if you don't ride through hotspots, otherwise motorbike is safer) because you are not really in traffic, you get wet or cold the same as on the motorbike and the trip duration shouldn't be much longer.

Thanks for the advice. For clarity, I have never riden a motorbike in my life and plan to get a licence. So it is a completely new experience for me. Sorry I should have made that clear in original post.

For me its a simple choice  - get a motorcycle 

I commute with a motorcycle to work for the past 15 years.

Time and fuel savings are enormous. 

If you concerned about training, get a trainer and Zwift before work. You will get more training by Zwifting 30min than commuting 2 hours from and to work on an e bike...    😜 

Edited by Mongoose!

There are a few NC750's in that category, You looking at around 27km/L, super easy to ride, super comfy and has more than enough oomph to get you out of trouble. Also has a nice high upright seating position.

11000km/year on a mtb e-bike is just going to cost more and more in terms of time, tyres, chains/cassette etc.

Either keep driving and get an e-bike, or get a motorbike. my 2c.

52 minutes ago, Razor1972 said:

I think it'll take me 2hrs to Pinelands on a bike (maybe even more), since the plan is to do the greenbelt. That would make me far too late. 1hr would be great. I was surprised you chose a bike over motorcycle in the rain. Is it because of the danger?

Yes, I reckon safer navigating the bike lanes and pavements vs. filtering on wet roads (on slippery lines as well)

eBikes, especially a more trail oriented one is not going to be nice to commute on. It is going to cost you a fortune in tyres, drivetrain components, and maintenance, and still get you to work slower and sweatier than a motorbike. 

Get yourself a Honda CRF250L or something similar. Great for someone new to motorbikes, and a crap ton of fun on dirt roads with the right tyres. Also very fuel efficient and easy to get along with. 

1 hour ago, Grease_Monkey said:

eBikes, especially a more trail oriented one is not going to be nice to commute on. It is going to cost you a fortune in tyres, drivetrain components, and maintenance, and still get you to work slower and sweatier than a motorbike. 

Get yourself a Honda CRF250L or something similar. Great for someone new to motorbikes, and a crap ton of fun on dirt roads with the right tyres. Also very fuel efficient and easy to get along with. 

^this

The cost of maintaining an E bike used only once or twice a week is extremely expensive. I can't imagine how much it would cost if you were riding your E bike 44 km's a day, 5 days a week (plus weekend riding). That would very quickly add up to the point where a motorcycle would pay off itself - but you can get a nice motorbike for the price of a nice E bike...