Can I use a Specialized Roubaix as a gravel bike?

Mark James

I ride a nicely spec'ed MTB, but am thinking of purchasing a road/gravel bike. The purpose of the road/gravel bike is to ride on rough roads (around Paarl), and occasionally on dirt roads or jeep tracks.

I was looking at either a new entry level Specialized Diverge Elite, or the other options was to buy a 2nd hand Specialized Roubaix (with Future shock 1.5) and converting it to a gravel bike by putting chunkier tyres on it. I figured that the Spez Roubaix has the future shock 1.5 for some added comfort, but was wondering if it could handle the occasional abuse of dirt roads... 

Does anyone have any similar experience using a Spez Roubaix as an occasional gravel bike, and fitting chunkier tyres on it? 

Edited by Mark James

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Mark James said:

I ride a nicely spec'ed MTB, but am thinking of purchasing a road/gravel bike. The purpose of the road/gravel bike is to ride on rough roads (around Paarl), and occasionally on dirt roads or jeep tracks.

I was looking at either a new entry level Specialized Diverge Elite, or the other options was to buy a 2nd hand Specialized Roubaix (with Future shock 1.5) and converting it to a gravel bike by putting chunkier tyres on it. I figured that the Spez Roubaix has the future shock 1.5 for some added comfort, but was wondering if it could handle the occasional abuse of dirt roads... 

Does anyone have any similar experience using a Spez Roubaix as an occasional gravel bike, and fitting chunkier tyres on it? 

Obviously the diverge can do the job but the roubaix won’t because the tyre size is limited to wider road tyres rather than gravel tyres. I mean you could ride it but it will be brutal  - I think max width is 32mm 

so the short answer is not a good idea 

It can work nicely with what you’ve described, a few people around who do this. 33mm tyres are the max clearance.

Wait for the Crux if you’re after something more racy than the Diverge. 

I did this on an old 26” HT I converted to “gravelbike” by adding 700cc tyre but kept the front suspension. Fitted 33mm gravel tyres and it is a very nice bike, and never felt I need wider tyres, but obviously the 100mm travel in front helps. The futureshock may have a similar impact 

I think it can work well but depends on terrain you will ride - if mostly good jeep tracks, farm and corrugated roads and endurance rides I think it is a great and cost effective option.

7 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

It can work nicely with what you’ve described, a few people around who do this. 33mm tyres are the max clearance.

Wait for the Crux if you’re after something more racy than the Diverge. 

Wasn't aware that 33mm tyres was the max clearance. I thought (or rather had been told) that I could fit a 38mm tyre to the bike... But I guess I will keep looking for a more dedicated gravel bike then. Thanks 

38mm on the older Diverge, 40mm Max depending on tread/tyre profile and rim.

The newer Diverge bikes are quite a step up, if you can find a Crux that would be a fine consideration as well. Bit more of a racy geometry. If that’s your cheese.

• 3 months later...
On 6/12/2022 at 6:36 AM, Mark James said:

So what did you get, @Mark James?

Something from spez or another brand?

2 hours ago, Mark James said:

In the end I found an almost unused Cannondale CAADX, which I refitted with Spez Pathfinder 38's. Bike goes like a "beaut", and is perfect for Paarl's rough tarmac and local dirt roads!! 🤩

Aloha where do you ride from in Paarl. I am down here now as well, just moved to Val de vie and wanted to solve the same problem. BTW I fitted by Roubaix with 32 mm gravel tyres on some of the original DT Swiss rims as i ride out of vale de vie and didnt want to risk the narrow sections of the Franschoek road or at leats wanted to have an escape path if need be . Works great. 

Where do you guys ride gravel?

Yes and no.I can play football with a bowling ball,but why would I.

Lot of the pro riders are riding road bikes aethos,roubaix,crux etc for gravel and yes it can work.Because of tire limit size going to be really uncomfortable.

One thing is for sure the bikes WILL NOT LAST.A little birdie told me Matts bike has a crack but because of such a shortage of crux he’s just riding it.

If you intend doing gravel just get a gravel bike.You won’t be disappointed.My other bikes mountain and road are just hanging in garage,that’s how hooked gravel is

The diverge with heads shock is next level