Rapide Wheel Freehub Compatibility

TyronLab

I've got a set of Rapide wheels (TR29-25 SL to be exact) which I absolutely love as they've been bombproof even with my dik gat and rigid setup.

I am Singlespeed curious, but I had these built up with an XD freehub, so doing a SS conversion either entails importing a R1200 (pre shipping) adapter or buying a new HG freehub from them for R800. Both options being more than I really want to spend.

I was wondering if anyone has ever used a different freehub on a Rapide wheel that might be a smidge cheaper?

I have their hubs in both Shimano   for SS  and xd configuration,  for gears.

I think you will be hard pressed to find a decent shimano hub for less than R800.

They are also some of the most robust, with big pawls, I've seen. Highly recommended.

11 hours ago, TyronLab said:

I've got a set of Rapide wheels (TR29-25 SL to be exact) which I absolutely love as they've been bombproof even with my dik gat and rigid setup.

I am Singlespeed curious, but I had these built up with an XD freehub, so doing a SS conversion either entails importing a R1200 (pre shipping) adapter or buying a new HG freehub from them for R800. Both options being more than I really want to spend.

I was wondering if anyone has ever used a different freehub on a Rapide wheel that might be a smidge cheaper?

imho R800 is really not that much.  A DT Swiss XD or Microspline freehub can almost set you back R2k, just saying ...

Looks like it uses the same freehub as a Cure XC4, but you're not going to save more than R 100 and it may not work.

Cheapest option if you don't want to buy the freehub is to find a 2nd hand wheel to play with, and then sell it on if you don't like it.

Cheapest and least admin is just buy the freehub.

22 minutes ago, shaper said:

Why not just use a single speed spacer kit

15 hours ago, TyronLab said:

I had these built up with an XD freehub, so doing a SS conversion either entails importing a R1200 (pre shipping) adapter or buying a new HG freehub...

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Super Sywurm said:

Any feedback on the Rapide hubs?  Are they as good as all their other products?

Mine are running strong, clicking nicely and had no issues - I got the red ones too, so they're pretty ;)

7 minutes ago, Nic Brigando said:

Mine are running strong, clicking nicely and had no issues - I got the red ones too, so they're pretty ;)

I also like the red ones, but I only need a rear. If a get red, I'll  have to buy both.

2 hours ago, Super Sywurm said:

Any feedback on the Rapide hubs?  Are they as good as all their other products?

I've been really impressed by the wheelset in general. I've not been particularly cautious with it and it's still running true as an arrow and smooth as day 1. It's seen 2000km of muddy, dusty, rigid riding with my 86kg+ physique. 

Hubs are running super smooth still, haven't had any freehub issues whatsoever either. Highly recommended.

On topic, I recently discovered that I ran my current chain way past the 0.75 mark accidentally (training for TB racked up more km that I realised), so I'll be in for a full drivetrain swap in the coming months. Derailleur's clutch is also not clutching so lekker anymore.

I've been running the sums, and in most instances I can pay for the HG freehub and get away with the same total cost as a SRAM setup, but I'll have SS-ability.

Going back and forth between two options at the moment. Both have a new Rapide NW chainring and HG freehub in common.

1. 10sp MicroShift Advent-X Derailleur, cassette and shifter.

Pros: Can use the new 11 speed chain I already have, has a decent 11/48 range (don't really need more than my current 10/42 range). Pretty well reviewed, lightweight (lighter than an equivalent XT setup), components and 10sp chains are cheap as chips so if something does explode or conditions are awful it doesn't break the bank. Having something outside of the norm tickles me pink.

Cons: Derailleur isn't compatible with other shifters though so chopping and changing if something breaks gets harder. Not that well known so unknown performance vs known alternatives.

2. Deore 12 speed derailleur, shifter, Rapide 11/52 12sp HG cassette.

Pros: Having used that derailleur and shifter before on my Chisel I know they work really well. Has a lot more options for alternative shifter/derailleurs if something breaks. "Future-proofing" with 12sp.

Cons: Will need to buy a 12 speed chain, which is more expensive to replace once worn too. 250g additional weight. R600 more expensive than option 1. 

Interestingly, both options (plus HG freehub) are cheaper than buying just a new GX 11 speed derailleur and GX cassette. Madness!