Sidmouth

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Thomo said:

Lance's go to machines at the moment if that makes any difference ... 😉

And their is stock, not sure about getting them to SA.

19 hours ago, Sidmouth said:

short term you dont, but after a good night they still want to go out till 4am

Finding these racy models in a night club is a bad idea.

I recall the parent teacher meeting a few years ago was a very tense 20min as it required more concentration than an FTP test . The grade R teacher pool at my daughters school would have been a good place to start looking. Smoking hot, intelligent patient, can hold a decent conversation and too tired after work to think about night clubs and always looking forward to a glass of wine!

1 hour ago, Sidmouth said:

Anyone ever buy a bike on Merlin Cycles 

looks promising 

image.png.b92d5cb4341d29f20588f6f1537ba573.png

yeah years ago but its was painless. Customs was a problem though as they ant ed to slap something like 30% duty on the bike. Now you may be asked to produce an import permit because the value is over R50k. Its worth checking the customs and excise regs before you type in the CVC number

14 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

yeah years ago but its was painless. Customs was a problem though as they ant ed to slap something like 30% duty on the bike. Now you may be asked to produce an import permit because the value is over R50k. Its worth checking the customs and excise regs before you type in the CVC number

Yeah, it should be 15% duty (complete bikes) and (1.15 * 1.1 * 0.15) = 18.975% VAT (15% of 110% of the value after adding duties). Although if you're lucky they sometimes don't apply the duty and then it's only 16.5% VAT (as above just assuming 0 duties).

Your mileage might vary trying to import it using your ID number rather than an importers code although getting an importers code is pretty quick and easy (fill in a few forms, go to a customs office and then wait a week or so was my experience).

10 minutes ago, Jehosefat said:

Yeah, it should be 15% duty (complete bikes) and (1.15 * 1.1 * 0.15) = 18.975% VAT (15% of 110% of the value after adding duties). Although if you're lucky they sometimes don't apply the duty and then it's only 16.5% VAT (as above just assuming 0 duties).

Your mileage might vary trying to import it using your ID number rather than an importers code although getting an importers code is pretty quick and easy (fill in a few forms, go to a customs office and then wait a week or so was my experience).

I have family in tbe UK, they can just come over and say they are doing a cycle tour in SA, did one lime this 7 years ago, works fine

19 minutes ago, Sidmouth said:

is there an agent for Canyon in South Africa.

image.png.d18be02f76af2aea419ca3f83055cea7.png

http://www.canyoncafe.co.za/ - not an agent, as it's still purchased online, but they will assist you

look at the Aeroad too, because, you know... aero....

remember to add 15% duty and 15% vat and come customs clearance fees

Just now, lechatnoir said:

http://www.canyoncafe.co.za/ - not an agent, as it's still purchased online, but they will assist you

look at the Aeroad too, because, you know... aero....

remember to add 15% duty and 15% vat and come customs clearance fees

oooh, thanks for the vat and customs update, I think I will send to my folks in the UK who can bring over, its a solid bike for that price, almost too good to believe, the roads must be full of canyons in Europe

18 minutes ago, Sidmouth said:

oooh, thanks for the vat and customs update, I think I will send to my folks in the UK who can bring over, its a solid bike for that price, almost too good to believe, the roads must be full of canyons in Europe

I had an Ultimate, loved it. Great bike. The build quality is insane too. I do think they may be releasing a new one soon if that is not it? Maybe worth waiting for that... 

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/movistar-races-new-canyon-ultimate-294169

I reckon it will be out soon. Be quick when you order

Edited by Sid the Sloth
added the bold bit

16 minutes ago, Sidmouth said:

do the maths. they'll be paying VAT too over there.