Thule EasyFold XT3 not fitting my towbar

crashy

Hi guys,

Hope you're all well. My EasyFold XT3 just arrived and it doesn't seem to clip onto my Ford Everest towbar. Looking at it the problem clearly is that the Everest has a Towbar mount and then a tow ball (see image). When I mount the bike rack, there is some plastic that gets stuck on the mounting lip. 

Has anyone had this before and have any suggestions?

image.png.3970845bd0441c7252e57c3970c73559.png

Maybe try to lift the bikerack slightly before clamping it around the towbar, if that does not solve the problem you will most likely need to fit a spacer to lift the ball.

Thanks, will give the lifting a try. Load shedding has just started so I can't get out the garage #eskomproblems.

I've also contacted Ford to see about a spacer

Another possible alternative is to maybe place a washer or two under the towball to lift it slightly higher from the mount.

Thanks all, seem to have sorted this out. I tried lifting it but that doesn't work, the plastic is still in the way.

Eventually I took the towbar and mount off the car to really see what was going on (instead of trying to look under it while holding it up).

Turns out the offending piece of plastic can be unclipped, doesn't seem to do anything structurally and it (hopefully) just for aesthetics. 

As for the decent car comment, @ouzo I had rules and regulations to follow from the wife. Priority was Cost / 3 baby seats in back seat / boot space. Can't beat the Ford with those. I'm sure the obvious answer is a Fortuner, however the brown leather seats literally had the wife saying "negative"

47 minutes ago, crashy said:

Thanks all, seem to have sorted this out. I tried lifting it but that doesn't work, the plastic is still in the way.

Eventually I took the towbar and mount off the car to really see what was going on (instead of trying to look under it while holding it up).

Turns out the offending piece of plastic can be unclipped, doesn't seem to do anything structurally and it (hopefully) just for aesthetics. 

As for the decent car comment, @ouzo I had rules and regulations to follow from the wife. Priority was Cost / 3 baby seats in back seat / boot space. Can't beat the Ford with those. I'm sure the obvious answer is a Fortuner, however the brown leather seats literally had the wife saying "negative"

decent car comment was in italics, i.e. not to be taken seriously.

As for your requirements, not much on the market will meet your needs.

Back to the Thule, just make sure once you've unclipped the plastic part that the Thule does not move around when clamped, it could very well just be aesthetic if its easy to clip off.

16 minutes ago, ouzo said:

decent car comment was in italics, i.e. not to be taken seriously.

As for your requirements, not much on the market will meet your needs.

Back to the Thule, just make sure once you've unclipped the plastic part that the Thule does not move around when clamped, it could very well just be aesthetic if its easy to clip off.

Thanks I didn't take it seriously :)

Rack is solid and secure with the piece off

1 hour ago, crashy said:

While we are off topic ....

The Fortuner has "thick paneling" ... thus actually a relatively small vehicle inside.  The Ford Everest is significantly larger on the inside, though the internal height is less.

I have a thule velo comapct bike rack on an amarok tow bar

i seem to remember when buying the rack the guy at thule removed some bit of plastic and threw it away

this was a while back so dont know if its the same plastic

2 hours ago, crashy said:

Three Baby seats ? and you still can ride ? you wife realy is a keeper 

1 hour ago, Milosh said:

Three Baby seats ? and you still can ride ? you wife realy is a keeper 

Amen.

3 hours ago, crashy said:

Its the plastic casing going around the metal part that holds the ball

image.png.e2f4be06cb85de4f18c6c49bd5f9802c.png

image.png.70f34a49b82b9c7962d876e8c9bf3f2b.png

That piece of plastic is there for when the lever is up i.e. clamp mechanism open to be placed on the towbar. I dont think its protective, but really just creates some space