Opinion Please. What is a cracked frame worth?

Tomik

Hi guys. 

Quick question. What do you think a repaired BMC Team Machine SLR01 Disc frameset is worth? Bear in mind it comes with the seat post, stem and handlebar. Fully integrated cable routing. 

I had the misfortune of having a friend ride into me causing a small crack on the right seat stay. CBR says it is an easy repair (quoted R6900 to repair) and I don't disagree. However, I was planning to sell the whole bike before the accident, but not so sure that it's financially viable/smart now.

Am fighting with insurance for a new frame but that's a story for another day/thread. 

Any opinions on what the going rate is on a repaired superbike frame? It costs about R90k new. 

Edited by Tomik

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Tomik said:

Hi guys. 

Quick question. What do you think a repaired BMC Team Machine SLR01 Disc frameset is worth? Bear in mind it comes with the seat post, stem and handlebar. Fully integrated cable routing. 

I had the misfortune of having a friend ride into me causing a small crack on the right seat stay. CBR says it is an easy repair (quoted R6900 to repair) and I don't disagree. However, I was planning to sell the whole bike before the accident, but not so sure that it's financially viable/smart now.

Am fighting with insurance for a new frame but that's a story for another day/thread. 

Any opinions on what the going rate is on a repaired superbike frame? It costs about R90k new. 

Not sure what it is worth but I definitely think you will recoup your money you spend if you decide to get it repaired. It will be extremely hard to sell a cracked frame - and the only people wanting to buy it will offer you pennies, as they are likely carbon places who want to repair it and sell it on.

It will be a lot easier to sell the frame once it is repaired, however, people may still be slightly more hesitant to buy it, when compared to one that was not involved in an accident. 

At the end of the day it is your choice, but whatever you choose, good luck with the sale and I hope this helped a bit

If it is R90k new, second hand is c.R45k.

Cracked frame (not repaired) = zero for frame + parts second hand value (risk of repair for buyer).

Repaired cracked frame = cost of repair + maybe 10% + parts second hand value

Repaired cracked frame (incl. warranty) = twice value of repair, say R12k + parts second hand value

I would expect at least a 25% discount on a repaired cracked frame with warranty. Using the R45k example above, say R33k to start negotiations. 

that sounds like a lot for the carbon repair IMO, judging by prices I have heard from other repairs. It really depends on the extent of the damage but I do think it takes away a lot of value. Personally I would be quite happy riding a repaired frame but it definitely harms resale a bit. 

If you do get the insurance pay out, surely they claim the frame and you can maybe buy it back as salvage, but there is no point repairing it before as you are just fixing their property?

11 hours ago, Tomik said:

Hi guys. 

As mentioned before best try get the insurance to pay out, else what is point of insurance in the first place. If you want to sell the damaged frame let me know might be intrested size dependant 😉

Depends on where the crack is? CBR gives a warrantee on their workmanship and also claims that repairs are done to manufacturers specifications. A 2nd hand frame is no guarantee there is no issues about to start with hairline cracks etc. I rather buy a repaired carbon frame then a 2nd hand frame on the proviso the seller disclose the repair. 

Maybe its only me, but I see a carbon framed that has been repaired in the same light as a code 3 second hand car...

Second hand value takes a HUGE dip - and trying to sell it on Bikehub competing against unrepaired frames / bikes...eish good luck with this one.

Insurances companies pushing their luck for cheaper options as times are tough ...but as mentioned that is a whole different topic on its own☹️

12 hours ago, Tomik said:

Hi guys. 

with whom are yo insured for interest sake?

For what its worth. I bought a  R15k frame that was repaired but not good repair. Had to redo the repairs. I paid R4k for the frame and R1k extra for repairs and frame is looking like new now. I agree with @vanniri +-45k

I cracked my TREK Superfly frame on the seat tube - It was actually a serious crack completely around the circumference - I sold it for 1200 ronds, But that was with the rear shock and the ABP through axel conversion kit which i think is where the majority of the value was. TREK had replaced the frame under their lifetime warranty policy - so i was happy with the deal.

I would say the frame is worth zero and if you repair it and then sell it on you take the repair risk as you would need to tell the buyer its a repaired frame - move it on as a cracked frame and the buyer repairs it then he takes the risk

44 minutes ago, Mongoose! said:

Maybe its only me, but I see a carbon framed that has been repaired in the same light as a code 3 second hand car...

Second hand value takes a HUGE dip - and trying to sell it on Bikehub competing against unrepaired frames / bikes...eish good luck with this one.

Insurances companies pushing their luck for cheaper options as times are tough ...but as mentioned that is a whole different topic on its own☹️

Thanks for all the replies. I agree on the analogy and that is why I believe no manufacturer would authorise a repair. BMC certainly doesn't.

I will disclose the insurers details once I get a resolution to my claim. It has been in limbo for a month now. I think it is important people realise that not all bicycle insurance is equal. I'm particularly annoyed as all my friend's cracked frames were replaced (all 4 of them were Tarmac S-works that had similar accident damage, maybe slightly worse). Maybe they got lucky.

It's a pity we don't have diminished value claims in SA. In the US, you can claim for the difference in value/resale from an accident if the insurer repairs the vehicle. That after all is the point of insurance - to put you into the same financial position you were in before the event.

1 hour ago, warick_wrx said:

As mentioned before best try get the insurance to pay out, else what is point of insurance in the first place. If you want to sell the damaged frame let me know might be intrested size dependant 😉

Am fighting with the insurance company (through a broker) and will update as soon as I can. It's a 56. 😉

@Tomik. Are you the first owner of the bicycle? I know BMC grant a 5 year warranty to first owners. If you are the first owner and the frame is still inside the warranty period, Insurers have to replace the frame set. It compromising your warranty. 
If you are the 2nd owner, then Insurers have every right to repair it. A lot of insurance company now days are repairing crack frames with 2nd owners and out of warranty frame set.  
If I may ask which Insurance company are you with? 
I owned a BMC Team Machine SLR01 rim brake frame set. It cracked on the rear stay and Carbon Bicycle Repairs in Durbanville did a fantastic job to repair it and you don’t even see the repair work. It looks like a brand new frame set. 

@Tomik Abloc the previous agents for BMC are clearing out their BMC bikes. They have a BMC SLR 01 Disk frame set in a 56cm for R54k. Check their Instagram page or perhaps contact Herman Bekker.

23 minutes ago, lucastermin01 said:

@Tomik. Are you the first owner of the bicycle? I know BMC grant a 5 year warranty to first owners. If you are the first owner and the frame is still inside the warranty period, Insurers have to replace the frame set. It compromising your warranty. 
If you are the 2nd owner, then Insurers have every right to repair it. A lot of insurance company now days are repairing crack frames with 2nd owners and out of warranty frame set.  
If I may ask which Insurance company are you with? 
I owned a BMC Team Machine SLR01 rim brake frame set. It cracked on the rear stay and Carbon Bicycle Repairs in Durbanville did a fantastic job to repair it and you don’t even see the repair work. It looks like a brand new frame set. 

I am the second owner, bought from a BMC rep. The warranty still stands as per a new bike. I quote from BMC's website "The warranty begins with the purchase of a new BMC bike and continues in effect, if the bike is sold on. However, you must be able to provide the original receipt in order to file a warranty claim."

So yes, a repair would compromise the warranty. I have said all this to the insurance company (whose name I shall disclose once I have a resolution, either way).

24 minutes ago, lucastermin01 said:

@Tomik Abloc the previous agents for BMC are clearing out their BMC bikes. They have a BMC SLR 01 Disk frame set in a 56cm for R54k. Check their Instagram page or perhaps contact Herman Bekker.

Thanks, will check it out.