MTB rim width suggestions

Sloth1987

I want to upgrade my MTB wheels. Old wheel have a inner width of 23mm. I want to go with a 26mm inner width. How much will the extra width of the rim affect the tyre width?

I'm using 25mm and very happy with it.  I would say 25 - 30 all good ... :) , depend on the type of riding you do.

Just now, Sloth1987 said:

Thanks Theo. Just worried about the size as my clearance at the rear is not very generous

Rim wise you should be OK, the limit to the frame with the tyre is going to be the limitation.

Luckily I have enough clearance to run Maxxis Aspens 2.4 front and rear.

Edited by TheoG

Just now, Sloth1987 said:

That is why I'm wordering how much larger the tyre will inflate on the wider rim

Not much at all.  The tyre wdith is much more important than that fractions of mm.  You really dont have to be concerned about that.  If your current tyres work, they will still work with the wider rim, trust me ... 🤪

A wider rim simply helps to put more tread on the ground and allows you to run at a slightly softer tyre pressure.

So, more tread and more comfort.

2.35 tyres are a great tyre size compromise between trail and XC.

7 hours ago, porqui said:

Does a wider rim make a significant difference ??

Genuine question.

Yes it does .But before wider rims we all rode narrower ones also,like 22mm ,and they also worked. For me the biggest difference was going wider rim and tire on road bike wheels

Yes it does.  Wider rim give more tyre contact area with the ground and the rim can be stronger for not a small weight penalty, if at all.