MTB rim width suggestions

Sloth1987

I had all the widest rims and big tires.

I sold most of my expensive bike stuff and have old Arch Ex rims. I think they are 23mm. I'm no faster and at 75kg run my tires at 1.5/1.6 bar front and 1.7 ish rear. 

That teeny tiny bit harder pressure does not really affect my performance. I have far bigger bottle necks.

1 thing I have noticed is that the wider rims definitely build up easier. So the extra material and shape must have merit, but while riding, that is far beyond my ability to really notice and/or benefit.

Just my 2c.

I'm not denying their benefits, I'm merely saying that for me, the benefits were lost. The fastest I have ever been was on a set of WTB i23s in 2015/16 when I shredded the gnar daily. 

If you're sitting around 22/23mm, Good tires an good technique trump rim with IMHO

20 hours ago, Sloth1987 said:

I want to upgrade my MTB wheels. Old wheel have a inner width of 23mm. I want to go with a 26mm inner width. How much will the extra width of the rim affect the tyre width?

It won’t affect the overall tyre width.

hookless vs conventional tyre hook news makes a bigger difference.hookless beads slow the tyre to stand taller and inflate to more volume.

if your 23mm inner width rim is hookless then keep them.

if money is burning a hole in your money then 25, to 28mm is good for tyres up to 2.4knch or erto 622x61

Thanks for the info. I want to upgrade mainly due to the rim cracking at the spoke nipples. Will stick to 2.25 tyres as clearance isnt as big as some other frames

46 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Good tires an good technique trump rim with IMHO

Good technique can trump anything. Little gains are achieved here and there with most upgrades.

It is incredibly difficult to evaluate changes to your setup coz you can never ride in exactly the same line each time with different changes in your setup.

Wider tyres will not necessarily make you ride faster but they are designed to give more grip. More grip can certainly assist in riding faster in certain circumstances. 

Get the best rims you can afford in the 25-30mm range, if you're using 2.25" tyres.

Stan's Arch or Flow Mk4 rims, DT Swiss XM481, Raceface ARC Offset, Lyne etc are all good options.

Have the wheels rebuilt by someone who knows what they're doing.

The DT's and the Raceface will be an option but I'm a bit wary of Stans as my wheel cracks by the spoke nipples and 2 of my riding buddies have the same issues

On 7/20/2022 at 2:30 PM, Sloth1987 said:

I want to upgrade my MTB wheels. Old wheel have a inner width of 23mm. I want to go with a 26mm inner width. How much will the extra width of the rim affect the tyre width?

Depends on clearance in the frame.

Is your bike Boost?

If its Boost, 30mm Internal Diameter with a 2.35/2,4 Inch tyre is bliss

If Non-Boost, a 28mm internal width will probably be the widest you can fit with a 2.35 Inch tyre

On 7/21/2022 at 2:12 PM, Sloth1987 said:

The DT's and the Raceface will be an option but I'm a bit wary of Stans as my wheel cracks by the spoke nipples and 2 of my riding buddies have the same issues

I have and ride a set of the previous generation Arch rims with the cracks .It does not seem to make any difference in the performance of the rim .There are small cracks and they stay that way

On 7/21/2022 at 2:12 PM, Sloth1987 said:

With the new Mk4 rims Stan's has solved the issue.
Since their release in Sept last year they've not had a single warranty claim.

I've been riding the Arch Mk4 since October and they've been faultless.

The Flow Mk4 and Flow EX3 are some of the strongest rims on the market today.
Other ridiculously good rims are the DT Swiss XM481 and EX511, and their e-bike spec HX531.

DT also have the M502 and E532 available which are less expensive, slightly heavier (eyeletted) options.