SRAM AXS XO1 VS GX

Fires987

33 minutes ago, madmarc said:

+1 - Absolute key on SRAM 1 X 12 setups is that RD adjustment must be perfect - even if you change nothing it should be adjusted to cater for chain wear every so often

I had to ignore the adjustment guide on both bikes to get the shifting perfect. Trial and error and lots of fiddling with the b-screw. 

On the Forbidden you have the turn the b-screw all the way out and then adjust until you take up the slack in the chain. Anything else and it just does not shift.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If money is not a worry for some reason, then get X01 AXS. That simple. But if you are like most of us, who buy products based on the perceived value, then GX AXS is a much wiser choice. It costs less to replace a broken derailleur or shifter and works NEARLY as well. Nearly being the main word. You will spend a fair bit more on X01 but the difference in performance isn't justifiable considering the added expense.

But if you have unlimited cash, go X01!

1 hour ago, Steady Spin said:

I had to ignore the adjustment guide on both bikes to get the shifting perfect. Trial and error and lots of fiddling with the b-screw. 

On the Forbidden you have the turn the b-screw all the way out and then adjust until you take up the slack in the chain. Anything else and it just does not shift.

Follow their instructions to the T and it will change like a CVT gearbox - this video

pay particular attention to chain length measuring for hardtail and full sus bikes (many don't bother fully compressing the rear suspension) 

Edited by madmarc

Went GX AXS in October with a new build, at the time simply could not justify added expense of XX1, didn’t see xo1 available, had a wet ride and the pulley wheels seized (did service the bearings, but any reason to upgrade…), so just replaced with Csixx cage and pulley wheels, which are now easier to service with the cage being lighter as well (if you are in the that kind of thing). F2F83A26-94A4-44A1-9982-2725774A6CD0.jpeg.6481669a3738ba7d3ffe7e3c44039c1d.jpeg8708B01C-7BB2-4821-A8DF-1049DCD6FD25.jpeg.ed0827333c33ca87c04dba5076a0aa7a.jpegFrom what I hear guys have been breaking the carbon cages on xx1, so Csixx for the win. Shifting has been faultless, but I have needed to tweak on occasion, which I would expect with normal wear etc. 

2 hours ago, madmarc said:

Follow their instructions to the T and it will change like a CVT gearbox - this video

pay particular attention to chain length measuring for hardtail and full sus bikes (many don't bother fully compressing the rear suspension) 

Definitely does not work on a Forbidden Druid with an idler wheel setup. 

13 hours ago, Murrob said:

Went GX AXS in October with a new build, at the time simply could not justify added expense of XX1, didn’t see xo1 available, had a wet ride and the pulley wheels seized (did service the bearings, but any reason to upgrade…), so just replaced with Csixx cage and pulley wheels, which are now easier to service with the cage being lighter as well (if you are in the that kind of thing). F2F83A26-94A4-44A1-9982-2725774A6CD0.jpeg.6481669a3738ba7d3ffe7e3c44039c1d.jpeg8708B01C-7BB2-4821-A8DF-1049DCD6FD25.jpeg.ed0827333c33ca87c04dba5076a0aa7a.jpegFrom what I hear guys have been breaking the carbon cages on xx1, so Csixx for the win. Shifting has been faultless, but I have needed to tweak on occasion, which I would expect with normal wear etc. 

Wow ! Never thought it would be lighter, and quite a bit !

For what it's worth, I have XX1 AXS on my gravel bike that has seen plenty of mud and sand and been fully submerged while cycling through a wetland after heavy rain. I have not adjusted it or lubed it or anything in over 3000km (I probably should, but it works perfectly). 

Not sure if the bearings in the cage are different to the GX but mine are still rolling smoothly. 

Glad so many people love the GX AXS experience. I personally hate it. The bike came with GX AXS. 99.5% of the time it works really well. But I hate it that it sometimes does not work. For example, it occasionally does a system update. It will not work until the update is complete. When you have time constraints it is irritating. Sometimes it just stops working. If you remove and replace the battery it works again. I have also heard of other units failing in the cold. I am considering buying a mechanical derailleur instead.

20 hours ago, Fires987 said:

So bean thing of upgrading to a Sram axs.
So the question of the day is do I go with AXS GX or  AXS XO1. 
To start of I don’t care about weight.  
My concern is about the quality of the product.  
From what I can tell it’s all the same electronic, the biggest difference is the material used,  carbon,  aluminum & steel.  The same story with the bearings and fasteners. 
If we look at the cabel version you don’t touch anything under XO1.  If you ride your bike more than ones a year on tar road for more than 1km. 
So is it the same with AXS ?

Some input from someone that’s been riding the GX for more the 6 month would be nice.

Thank you

Key differences between GX and XO1 AXS

• GX uses a stamped steel derailleur pulley cage vs X01 stamped aluminium cage
  • the branding on the derailleurs
  • The shifter paddle on the GX is the older original design VS the newer multi position trigger lever on X01
  • GX is shipped with a battery protection cover vs aftermarket purchase for X01 (might have changed with more recent batches)

weight difference is about 30gr in favour of X01, 98gr if going to XX1

1 hour ago, amac said:

Glad so many people love the GX AXS experience. I personally hate it. The bike came with GX AXS. 99.5% of the time it works really well. But I hate it that it sometimes does not work. For example, it occasionally does a system update. It will not work until the update is complete. When you have time constraints it is irritating. Sometimes it just stops working. If you remove and replace the battery it works again. I have also heard of other units failing in the cold. I am considering buying a mechanical derailleur instead.

why would you have your phone connected to the derailleur and running and update while also trying to ride the bike??

If you computer is installing updates do you also run massive excel models?

38 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

why would you have your phone connected to the derailleur and running and update while also trying to ride the bike??

If you computer is installing updates do you also run massive excel models?

I ride with the phone. The phone and derailleur connect by bluetooth.  I don't understand your reference to computer and excel ?

10 minutes ago, amac said:

I ride with the phone. The phone and derailleur connect by bluetooth.  I don't understand your reference to computer and excel ?

Why would you want phone and derailleur connected during a ride. Simple question. The app snd connection is only required for set up , updates snd troubleshooting so what’s the purpose of having the connection active during a ride?

5 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Why would you want phone and derailleur connected during a ride. Simple question. The app snd connection is only required for set up , updates snd troubleshooting so what’s the purpose of having the connection active during a ride?

I am am a techno retard, so perhaps it is my fault. As I said before, the phone and derailleur connect automatically. The derailleur doesn't ask permission to run an update. The light goes red and nothing works until the update completes.

13 minutes ago, amac said:

I am am a techno retard, so perhaps it is my fault. As I said before, the phone and derailleur connect automatically. The derailleur doesn't ask permission to run an update. The light goes red and nothing works until the update completes.

try setting the connect permission in the phone to "Ask before connecting" and make sure the App is not running in the background. I've never heard of anyone using AXS having this issue. It must be a settings issue