HRM Chest Strap Issues

dexterdent

I had ongoing problems with a Garmin Tri HRM for 2-3 months. Changed batteries many times and it would work on and off.

Changed to a Polar H10 in February this year and haven’t had any problems. It fits better too.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have similar issue but not exactly the same.

1) HR picks up from start of the ride but its unrealistically low (60-80bpm). Sometimes drops to zero before it picks up to low number again

2)After about 15/20mins into the ride it would pick up to be "accurate" 140/150bpm

Damn annoying and throws out averages quite a bit. 

With my garmin520 also only lasting 4/5hrs with all sensors connected, I might have to bite bullet and hunt for a bundle soonest.

Buy a cheap voltmeter and check the voltage when new. I noticed once the battery drops below 2.9 volts, doesn't work anymore. Heart rate straps also get faulty. When you are not using the strap, disconnect the one terminal, I think that makes the battery last longer.

It does not make sense that 2 different sensors are doing this. Is there not an issue with the gps/head unit? What unit are you using?

*edit, read the op again, sorry. I would buy a new bicycle

Edited by W@nted

2 hours ago, dexterdent said:

Thanks - yeah Tickr, but also a Sigma unit (strap AND pod) changed. Multiple different batteries between the two as well

Also had problems with Tickr in the past and still do. Get a Garmin

51 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I had ongoing problems with a Garmin Tri HRM for 2-3 months. Changed batteries many times and it would work on and off.

Changed to a Polar H10 in February this year and haven’t had any problems. It fits better too.

Its worth the money since you wont buy another HR device again, replace the strap yes, but the device never.

28 minutes ago, babse said:

1) HR picks up from start of the ride but its unrealistically low (60-80bpm). Sometimes drops to zero before it picks up to low number again

2)After about 15/20mins into the ride it would pick up to be "accurate" 140/150bpm

With my garmin520 also only lasting 4/5hrs with all sensors connected, I might have to bite bullet and hunt for a bundle soonest.

This sounds very much like the contacts are not picking up your HR properly until you're a bit more sweaty.

How do you wet the strap before use ?

7 minutes ago, ouzo said:

This sounds very much like the contacts are not picking up your HR properly until you're a bit more sweaty.

How do you wet the strap before use ?

Never do and never have before...

Is this a thing? Have strap about 3 years and issue has only been around for last 2/3 months

13 minutes ago, babse said:

Never do and never have before...

Is this a thing? Have strap about 3 years and issue has only been around for last 2/3 months

yeah you're supposed to wet the contact points on the strap before putting it on.

1 minute ago, ouzo said:

yeah you're supposed to wet the contact points on the strap before putting it on.

If I put it on to go ride immediately, I do wet, but if I have to drive somewhere first, normal sweating under the belt is enough.

Polar do recommend wetting beforehand.

Had similar issues with a new H9 Polar so I took it back to them earlier this year at their Midrand office. This is what I learned - I've used their hrms for nearly 30 years

1. It needs to be tighter than you would think (the owner at Polar said "like 2 inches of play when pulled from your chest while fastened" (Mine had/has never needed to be this tight, but it helps to be tight particularly in winter).

2. Obviously wet. (I knew this)

3. Certain 2025 batteries are thinner than others and affect connectivity (eg Varta). I now use Energiser Panasonic or Duracell. And I'm not mixing the 2025s with 2032's which are thicker.

4. Below 2.9v it'll work more erratically but your head unit should also give you a low voltage msg. 

5. You  can also get erratic signal and in particular spiking  going downhill fast (worse in winter if the strap is not tight enough). 

6 hours ago, babse said:

I also have the 520 bundle.

Replaced the HRM battery a couple of times earlier this year .... it did not help.

Bought a new Garmin strap.

Now also have the very low readings for the first couple of minutes ....

5 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Cold Does Affect Them as Well

Interesting ....

Lets hope the issues stop when winter passes ....

Really dont want to buy a new bundle now ....

22 hours ago, ouzo said:

1 litre of water on each contact point before the ride this morning and boom... HR accurate from the get! 

Shot for nwoob advice 😅🤙