Overpricing…

OVERDRIVE

16 minutes ago, Spookie said:

So, this morning I was in a well known bike shop in CPT grabbing some bar tape, and up for sale they had a Demo Cannondale Topstone 2.

So: Aluminium bike, 10 speed GRX (but with an FSA crank), and Demo model so lightly used.

R40,000. 

HOW EVEN. The poor sales guy thought I was interested. He did try tell me that it retailed at “R55k new” and was “reserved for a customer”. Shame. Hope he is just making that up or someone’s getting properly shafted 😂

Why is R15,000 off not good enough and considered shafting?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Irrespective of original price, for what you are getting there, that is not good value for money. Far better demo/used bikes for R40k. I’ve seen better for R20-25k… 

I am aware things are a bit crazy expensive in todays market due to stock shortages, demand > supply etc etc, but if someone told you a 10 speed aluminium bike was 55k you’d go along with that?

for reference, cannondale website:

https://www.cannondale.com/en-za/bikes/road/gravel/topstone-alloy/topstone-2

13 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Why is R15,000 off not good enough and considered shafting?

He isnt saying R15k off the price is getting shafted, rather that R40k for bike should only sell for maybe R30-R35k BRAND NEW, and not a demo, is the shafting

1 minute ago, Spookie said:

Irrespective of original price, for what you are getting there, that is not good value for money. Far better demo/used bikes for R40k. I’ve seen better for R20-25k… 

I am aware things are a bit crazy expensive in todays market due to stock shortages, demand > supply etc etc, but if someone told you a 10 speed aluminium bike was 55k you’d go along with that?

Beat me to it

3 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

He isnt saying R15k off the price is getting shafted, rather that R40k for bike should only sell for maybe R30-R35k BRAND NEW, and not a demo, is the shafting

Haha, yes, this, exactly!👌

If you want to know what shafting really looks like, do yourself a favour and scroll through the www.rentoza.co.za website. 

The monthly rental fees on their devices blows my mind. Why would anyone get a phone or something through them.

2 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

If you want to know what shafting really looks like, do yourself a favour and scroll through the www.rentoza.co.za website. 

The monthly rental fees on their devices blows my mind. Why would anyone get a phone or something through them.

Approved vendor ? 🙈

56 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Wow. Not great for the brand when a retailer does this.
Also doesn't say much for the retailer as well, an unsuspecting buyer will be the loser, it's their prerogative though on their selling price.

Just now, cadenceblur said:

Wow. Not great for the brand when a retailer does this.
Also doesn't say much for the retailer as well, an unsuspecting buyer will be the loser, it's their prerogative though on their selling price.

Unsuspecting buyer being the key term ....

In this modern era it takes 10 seconds to check typical prices ... and in this case to see O. Cycles as having this bike .....

Short of some serious extras, this is not a "good deal" ....

11 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Unsuspecting buyer being the key term ....

In this modern era it takes 10 seconds to check typical prices ... and in this case to see O. Cycles as having this bike .....

Short of some serious extras, this is not a "good deal" ....

Yeah I’m hoping maybe there are some that I just didn’t spot 😂 only non-standard things I could see were the gold top cap and front hub seems purple? Other than that groupset etc looked stock. 

the sales guy certainly didn’t draw my attention to anything though when I was questioning him about the price point…

Edited by Spookie

On 9/10/2022 at 4:52 PM, Spookie said:

We're going to need the name of the shop please.

You can be a little cryptic if you don't like a direct finger point, like saying it rhymes with "pea wheel psychology" or "fridge cycles" or "beast sh1tty popsicles" or "Olympic cycles".

I have been itching to post something about the mentioned Fridge for awhile now and to share how they shafted me due to my own ignorance ...I do take blame but do believe the retailers do have some sort of moral responsibilty to there clients

For now I just put my Fridge experience down to school fees and will never support them again

13 minutes ago, Shaheedalex said:

I have been itching to post something about the mentioned Fridge for awhile now and to share how they shafted me due to my own ignorance ...I do take blame but do believe the retailers do have some sort of moral responsibilty to there clients

For now I just put my Fridge experience down to school fees and will never support them again

Very curious what the schooling fees bought you?

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

We're going to need the name of the shop please.

You can be a little cryptic if you don't like a direct finger point, like saying it rhymes with "pea wheel psychology" or "fridge cycles" or "beast sh1tty popsicles" or "Olympic cycles".

😂😂😂 the answer is actually already provided! you can thank @ChrisF for his extensive 10 second google search on Saturday! 😉

On 9/2/2022 at 8:18 AM, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Please share where you found them for R130? 🧐

We have them for R99 😁 Fixed and Swivel (Fixed mount - last stock, more arriving late October).

https://www.rookiesports.co.za/product/bicycle-wall-mount-hanger-swivel-adjustable-angle/

https://www.rookiesports.co.za/product/fluir-bicycle-wall-mount-hanger-fixed-angle/