Trainer tyre size

SlickMTBchicK

Hi guys,

I’m fairly new to cycling, especially indoor cycling. I’m in the process of putting together an indoor cycling room. I am looking at getting a Wahoo Kickr Snap 2 and a fairly cheap bicycle to use indoors. The bicycle that I’m looking at, the wheel size is advertised as 700x25. This is probably a silly question, but would like to double check. If I get an training tyre for my back wheel, will it also need to be 700x25 or bigger? Thanks would appreciate your help and any other tips/suggestions/experiences  you might have for a first time indoor cycling room.  🙌🏼😉

Sorry for the off topic reply ....

Please consider testing a "wheel on trainer" before parting with your money.  

The continual drone of the wheel on roller really is not nice.

So many options for "direct mount" trainers now, and the price difference is relatively small ... 

My wheel on trainer have passed from friend over the last 5 years .... sure it is in the cupboard at the current gent .... 

1 hour ago, SlickMTBchicK said:

Hi guys,

I’m fairly new to cycling, especially indoor cycling. I’m in the process of putting together an indoor cycling room. I am looking at getting a Wahoo Kickr Snap 2 and a fairly cheap bicycle to use indoors. The bicycle that I’m looking at, the wheel size is advertised as 700x25. This is probably a silly question, but would like to double check. If I get an training tyre for my back wheel, will it also need to be 700x25 or bigger? Thanks would appreciate your help and any other tips/suggestions/experiences  you might have for a first time indoor cycling room.  🙌🏼😉

Standard road tyre size will do.
You get them in various widths, generally from 23 upward. 
So get that or a 25 width. 

59 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

So many options for "direct mount" trainers now, and the price difference is relatively small ... 

My wheel on trainer have passed from friend over the last 5 years .... sure it is in the cupboard at the current gent .... 

The snaps are quite quiet .

1 hour ago, SlickMTBchicK said:

Hi guys,

700x25 refers to a road bike wheel size and it is the same size as a 29er MTB wheel. The 25 is the width of the tire. Yes, most training tires will fit onto the those rims. 

Then yes, what you're planning on doing is probably the best and less frustrating option in the long run. I have stopped cycling outdoors completely because it is just so much easier on the IDT with a new born in the house

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Relatively small price difference is a couple of thousands of Rands. The Kickr snap is a pretty decent wheel on trainer also so I dont think its too big of an issue.

the tyres labelled as 'trainer tyre' are the best thing to be using on a wheel-on trainer. they don't overheat, and aren't overly noisy (no tread pattern). the only hassle is swapping them out when you want to ride with a normal tyre on the road - trainer tyres on the road do poorly, and road tyres on the trainer do... also poorly...

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone, did not want to start a new thread, so thought I would resurrect this one.

I have a wheel on trainer, Elite Tuo, I am just struggling with tyres for it, I started with a Saris tyre, it was a crap show, shed loads of rubber and was noisy, then ai got a Tacx tyre, that was decent, lasted a while, but they were pretty expensive, and now I cant find them in stock, so I got a Schwalbe insider, it was decent, nice and quiet, but did not last long, had it for about 3 months and it just exploded now during a session, almost covered the room with brown stuff, not sure if it is worth getting another one though? Can anyone recommend any other trainer tyres?

Tacx, Scwalbe and Continental are probably the most common/popular.

All should have a longer lifespan than what you've experienced.

Are you set up correctly.? Too much pressure on the tyre perhaps.?

11 hours ago, Thomo said:

Tacx, Scwalbe and Continental are probably the most common/popular.

All should have a longer lifespan than what you've experienced.

Are you set up correctly.? Too much pressure on the tyre perhaps.?

Well I am within the pressure range printed on the tyre, so I would assume it is correct, and I have setup the contact on the tyre as is advised in the manual....

52 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Well I am within the pressure range printed on the tyre, so I would assume it is correct, and I have setup the contact on the tyre as is advised in the manual....

Then I don't know ... 

Been a while since I've used trainer tyres so perhaps they are just inferior and no longer give the same mileage as earlier versions.

On 9/12/2024 at 7:26 AM, Chadvdw67 said:

Are you looking for a 26er? I have 6-7 brand new continentals lying in a box 

Edited by RobertWhitehead
Skarramoesh