2023 Absa Cape Epic Route Announced

News bot

8 days. 658 kilometres. 15 775 metres of climbing. These are the stats of the 2023 Absa Cape Epic alone. But as history has proven over the past 18 editions of The Untamed African Mountain Bike Race, statistics and what happens on the trails of Africa are never one and the same. The 2023 edition […]

View full article

agree, the western cape goes all the way to knysna/plett. plenty of stuff that side to incorporate too. And I mean the eastern cape is the cape too if it's about the name. ill go watch them at hoogies since it's in my back yard, but i mean a relative knob like me can ride those things so they better be fast AF or something haha. I literally rode up dorstberg and down the dh line on a enduro bike 2 weeks ago. I wouldnt call it "epic"

On 9/21/2022 at 10:04 PM, MORNE said:

agree, the western cape goes all the way to knysna/plett. plenty of stuff that side to incorporate too. And I mean the eastern cape is the cape too if it's about the name. ill go watch them at hoogies since it's in my back yard, but i mean a relative knob like me can ride those things so they better be fast AF or something haha. I literally rode up dorstberg and down the dh line on a enduro bike 2 weeks ago. I wouldnt call it "epic"

I say to make things interesting they must go up the Cobra descent, and then send the A-line on the Hoogies Hammer on the Prologue.

On the Traverse to Val de Vie, they must do a detour to Jonkers and go up Red Phoenix and then down the DH line 🤣

only THEN would they earn the title of  being "EPIC" , but until such time , it should rather be the ABSA CAPE MEH

Anyone know the cost to enter the Swiss Epic - also part of the "Epic Series of Awesomeness " along with a few other strange ones like the Reef to Reef or something. I wonder because watching the coverage - which was pretty awful compared to the local version, it seemed like a far smaller field and little spectator interest...

I suspect that its way cheaper and you could probably fly there as a team, do the event and have another week jolling for less than an entry to the "Race that measures all"  back here in SA. 

I could Google but you guys know a lot 🙂

51 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Anyone know the cost to enter the Swiss Epic - also part of the "Epic Series of Awesomeness " along with a few other strange ones like the Reef to Reef or something. I wonder because watching the coverage - which was pretty awful compared to the local version, it seemed like a far smaller field and little spectator interest...

I suspect that its way cheaper and you could probably fly there as a team, do the event and have another week jolling for less than an entry to the "Race that measures all"  back here in SA. 

I could Google but you guys know a lot 🙂

https://www.epic-series.com/swissepic?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw5fmkdmq-gIVcoBQBh063wP9EAAYASAAEgJmXfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.epic-series.com/swissepic-riders-entryinfo

SE.jpg.4eb073ef36ba4496e1bf90256a91391f.jpg

no idea what that means in our currency .... 

loads of extra options ....

https://www.epic-series.com/swissepic-riders-optionalextras

Edited by ChrisF

On 9/21/2022 at 9:06 PM, Fauret said:

Can't they look for new routes in new areas.

The cape epic is losing relevance if they are continuing with this.

Don't fix what is not broken I guess.

*Pioneer trek does interesting stuff but is small batch demand.

*there is even a fancy pants race that basically does the knysna to CT variations that Epic started with in the beginning. called the arcelor mittal or something similar steel related.

with this format, riders can stay in guesthouses in hermanus for 4 days, and then a transfer to somerset west/stb for the remainder. eases pressure on the race village.

55 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Don't fix what is not broken I guess.

*Pioneer trek does interesting stuff but is small batch demand.

*there is even a fancy pants race that basically does the knysna to CT variations that Epic started with in the beginning. called the arcelor mittal or something similar steel related.

with this format, riders can stay in guesthouses in hermanus for 4 days, and then a transfer to somerset west/stb for the remainder. eases pressure on the race village.

This is africa, part of the charm should be that they must rough it in an army tent campsite in the middle of nowhere, dig their own holes to poo in and hunt for food mounted on their bikes. Id watch that reality show

C43582B7-8B5A-432C-AD7D-4B163D83581E.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

5 hours ago, MORNE said:

This is africa, part of the charm should be that they must rough it in an army tent campsite in the middle of nowhere, dig their own holes to poo in and hunt for food mounted on their bikes. Id watch that reality show

C43582B7-8B5A-432C-AD7D-4B163D83581E.jpeg

Looks like an ebike-is that what the world is coming to?

7 minutes ago, sirmoun10goat said:

Looks like an ebike-is that what the world is coming to?

Hows the weather under that rock of yours? Where have you been? Yes…yes it is….and yes it is😅

4 hours ago, MORNE said:

Hows the weather under that rock of yours? Where have you been? Yes…yes it is….and yes it is😅

The weather has been great-sunny and a between 25 and 35 for the past 4 months, so I have not found time to comment here

Winter is arriving however 

Hunting on an ebike seems like quite a novel idea. Maybe this is the next big thing for those tourist heading to SA in hunting trips