[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023

FootballingCyclist

2 minutes ago, RRIBike said:

is this confirmed?

Not officially. Substitutions close 15february thereafter one more event is allowed for seeding run for 2023. This can only be the tour de ppa , after which seeding is updated by the following Wednesday. After this they sees you and communicate it. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, SoloCyclist said:

99er not automatically used for seeding this years ctcc you have to manually request re-seeding

2023 99er will count towards 2024 CTCC

Surely if what Diesel is saying is accurate and the Tour de PPA is included then the 99er will automatically form part of the seeding as well. 

I doubt they’ll wait till march though but let’s see. My guess is we’ll get it this week and then we’ll have to maually request a reseeding.

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Not officially. Substitutions close 15february thereafter one more event is allowed for seeding run for 2023. This can only be the tour de ppa , after which seeding is updated by the following Wednesday. After this they sees you and communicate it. 

Holy SHERBET.

Right, Anyone getting rid of an entry??

EDIT: Got sorted, Thanks @DieselnDust

Edited by FootballingCyclist

22 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Surely if what Diesel is saying is accurate and the Tour de PPA is included then the 99er will automatically form part of the seeding as well. 

Agreed - but as per latest post I think seedings will be out this week (as it is done every year) and that the info given to us by PPA that the Tour de PPA is an official seeding race for this year is incorrect.

DATE

Feb 26 2023

TIME

6:30 am - 1:00 pm

Tour de PPA

The Pedal Power Association is proud to announce the return of another premier event, the Tour de PPA, on Sunday, 26 February 2023. This will be the perfect prep to help cyclists gauge their fitness and fine-tune their strategy prior to the Cape Town Cycle Tour. We will be running an early bird special until Tuesday, 10 January 2023. Entry fees vary from R200 to R450. PPA members receive a huge discount, so be sure to join the PPA to qualify for the discount.

Entries to the Tour de PPA will open to PPA members as well as non-members and is ideal for experienced and average cyclists, as well as newcomers to the sport. E-Bikes and Tandems are welcome to join.

The last PPA-organised funride before the annual Cape Town Cycle Tour, this event starts and ends at the Durbanville Racecourse, and is a great opportunity to get in a final, solid training session on a course with many testing rolling hills. There are two routes in the event – a 105 km and 79 km – and the long route is the final Premier Seeding event for the 2023 Cape Town Cycle Tour .

Our PPA Stay Wider of the Rider safe cycling team will be cheering you along at a waterpoint where they will be raising awareness amongst the motorist along the route. Please support our safe cycling campaign and cycle in your Stay Wider of the Rider cycling jersey. We will be handing out spot prizes at the finish venue to some lucky riders wearing our jerseys on the day.

Your entry fee includes timing by RaceTec, finishers medal, a beautiful on route experience, fully stocked waterpoints, post-race village, lucky draw with great prizes to be won. Equal prize money will be awarded to the top three males and females across the finish line in the long and short routes. 

DATE: Sunday, 26 February 2023

VENUE: Durbanville Racecourse, Bowlers Ave, Durbanville.

DISTANCES: 79 km and 105 km

START TIMES: 06h30 – 105 km and 07h15 – 79km

PRIZE GIVING: Equal prize money will be awarded to the top three males and females across the finish line in both distances at 12h00. 

LUCKY DRAW: At 12h00

CUT OFF AT THE FINISH: 13h00

ENTRIES CLOSE: Monday, 20 February 2023

COST:

Early Bird Entries: (valid till Tuesday, 10 January 2023)

72 km PPA member: R200

72 km non-member: R320

110 km PPA member: R300

110 km non-member: R420

General Entries: (From Wednesday, 11 January 2023 till Monday, 20 February 2023)

72 km PPA member: R250

72 km non-member: R350

110 km PPA member: R350

110 km non-member: R450

START GROUPS: You will be divided into groups depending on your seeding. Your start group will be sent via sms and email by Wednesday, 22 February 2023

Thursday, 23 February 2023: 12h00 – 18h00: Sportsmans Warehouse, Rondebosch – 34 Klipfontein Rd, Rondebosch.

Friday, 24 February 2023: 12h00 – 18h00: Sportmans Warehouse, Tygervalley – Tyger Valley Shopping Centre, 1 Bill Bezuidenhout Ave, Bellville Park.

Sunday, 26 February 2023: From 05h30: Durbanville Racecourse – Bowlers Ave, Durbanville.

ROUTE UPDATE:

Please take note of the important route changes for the 2023 Tour de PPA. We were in contact with Road Engineers on Tuesday, 7 February and was informed that Vissershok will undergo a 4-week road maintenance project whereby Vissershok will be patched. Due to this, we have made the decision for the safety of riders to not go over the pass. The road is already extremely narrow and road work equipment will pose a problem in a road that is already limited.

The long route, 110km will be reduced to 105km with a neutral zone of 4 km back to the venue. There will be 6 waterpoints on route, please note the final waterpoint will be 12 km before the finish line, there will be no waterpoint at the finish line as per previous years. Coca-Cola Peninsula Beverages will be waiting for you at the venue with a refreshing drink and you will receive your medal at the venue too. The long will still start from 06h30.

The short route, 72km has increased to 79km with a neutral zone of 4 km back to the venue. There will be an additional waterpoint added, totalling 4 waterpoints on route. Please note the final waterpoint will be 12 km before the finish line, there will be no waterpoint at the finish line as per previous years. Coca-Cola Peninsula Beverages will be waiting for you at the venue with a refreshing drink and you will receive your medal at the venue too. The start time for the short route will also be earlier due to the merge point and to aid riders in the heat, the short route will now start from 07h15.

ROUTE INFORMATION:

105 km route

With rolling hills throughout the route, this is a ride that calls for measured energy outputs. From Durbanville, riders will continue through the suburbs of Durbanville and turn left onto Wellington Road and onto the flatter open roads. At the R312/Fisantekraal intersection, riders continue straight to the R44 where they will turn left. It’s another left at the new robots onto the R45 and left into Voor Paardeberg, right into Vryguns and left again onto the R302 before joining up with the 79 km route at the silos. The riders will then head back towards Durbanville via Philadelphia Road and then Adderley Road.

There will be 6 waterpoints along the route:

Waterpoint 1: At the 21.7km mark (Water and Powerade)

Waterpoint 2: At the 35.9km mark (Water, Coke, bananas, toilets)

Waterpoint 3: At the 60.9 km mark (Water, Coke, bananas, sweets)

Waterpoint 4: At the 74.6km mark at Kassies Padkafee (Water, Coke, bananas, toilets)

Waterpoint 5: At the 84.80 km mark just after the Philadelphia turn off (Water, Coke, bananas, sweets, toilets)

Waterpoint 6: At 93.4 km mark on Adderley Street (Water, Coke, bananas, sweets, toilets)

View and download the GPX file here

Please note there is a 4 km neutral section back to the venue where you will receive your Coke and medal.

Route-Map-Tour-de-PPA-Long-1014x1024.png

79 km route

From Durbanville, riders will continue through the suburbs of Durbanville and turn left onto Wellington Road and onto the flatter open roads. At the R312/Fisantekraal intersection, riders continue straight to the R44 where they will turn left. It’s another left at Windmeul onto Vryguns road and then a left on Slent Road. Riders will joini up with the 105 km route at the silos. The riders will then head back towards Durbanville via Philadelphia Road and then Adderley Road.

There will be 4 waterpoints along the route:

Waterpoint 1: At the 21.7km mark (Water and Powerade)

Waterpoint 2: At the 35.9km mark (Water, Coke, bananas, toilets)

Waterpoint 3: At the 58.6 km mark just after the Philadelphia turn off (Water, Coke, bananas, sweets, toilets)

Waterpoint 4: At 67.4 km mark on Adderley Street (Water, Coke, bananas, sweets, toilets)

View and download the GPX file here

Please note there is a 4 km neutral section back to the venue where you will receive your Coke and medal.

Route-Map-Tour-de-PPA-Short-1024x882.png

PREMIER SEEDING:

The Tour de PPA long route, 110 km is the very last Official Premier Seeding event for the 2023 Cape Town Cycle Tour.

Photo-5-300x200.png

EVENT PARTNERS:

Official Vehicle Partner: Toyota

Official Hydration Partner: Coca-Cola Peninsula Beverages

Toyota-e1618400933404.png
46693-PENBEV-Logo_page-0001-1024x235.jpg

PRIZE SPONSORS:

SHARE THIS EVENT

DAYS

HOURS

MINUTES

SECONDS

ABOUT THE PPA

Founded in 1976, the PPA is a Public Benefit Organisation committed to promoting cycling and the interests of cyclists. Recreational cycling (on- and off-road), development through cycling, safe cycling and advocacy are among the PPA’s priorities.

OUR PARTNERS

Toyota - official PPA vehicle partner

Road Accident FundCoca-Cola

Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands

Ben-150x90.jpgQhubeka

Capture-300x84.jpg

GET IN TOUCH

Postal Address:
P.O. Box 665, Rondebosch, 7701

Street Address:

9 Hill Park Lane, Mowbray, Cape Town, 7700

Please note the full PPA office is working remotely and the offices are unoccupied until further notice. The PPA staff can be reached via email or cell phone.

TEL: 083 414 1442 OR 021 671 6340

For all crashes and crime related incidents please use:

WhatsApp 081 043 9890

EMAIL: INFO@PEDALPOWER.ORG.ZA

34 minutes ago, RRIBike said:

From their page on Facebook 

Screenshot_20230213_140054_Facebook.jpg

which they do every year.

But the final seeding is only completed after the Final Premier Seeding Event which just so happens to be the Tour De PPA as per the PPA website.

CT trust does the same every year and every year we have the same questions about seeding and when its  out and how and how do we get reseeded...... 😆

<I do so wish that the website and comms is more clear around this >

Once that's  done we move onto the weather....

Preliminary seeding may be released as they say, but its only final after Tour De PPA and therefore official the week after that event.

Edited by DieselnDust

Geez

I was hoping to improve my seeding from group Z to group X for the CTCT by doing the PPA.

Conflicting info sees me staying on the couch

8 minutes ago, Mike Nel said:

Geez

I was hoping to improve my seeding from group Z to group X for the CTCT by doing the PPA.

Conflicting info sees me staying on the couch

what is the conflict in information? I think it will help if we knew what it is and where its published please

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

what is the conflict in information? I think it will help if we knew what it is and where its published please

That’s easy

Some earlier posts says it’s a seedling event, some says it’s not 😉😄

Hmm so the Dischem ride for sight this weekend won’t officially count for 2023 CTCT, if I am understanding it all correctly. O well, I will wait to I get my seeding before I start worrying about re seeding. 

25 minutes ago, Mike Nel said:

That’s easy

Some earlier posts says it’s a seedling event, some says it’s not 😉😄

In that case I prefer to take the official word on the PPA website.... :)

19 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Hmm so the Dischem ride for sight this weekend won’t officially count for 2023 CTCT, if I am understanding it all correctly. O well, I will wait to I get my seeding before I start worrying about re seeding. 

not directly. It will influence your PPA seeding by the following Thursday but a official Seeding ride will always carry a higher weighting (beta)

Guys now that I have a seeding secured. I need a few of the qu's below answered please.

1. What's the weather forecast, Moreso the wind?

2. Will we get goodie bags?

3. Do we need a vax certificate?

4. Can I borrow a road E-Bike because the tannies at the start chutes can't tell an E-Bike from a Checkers60 Motorbike(I don't blame them though they are just volunteers?!