[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023

FootballingCyclist

Couldn't find a thread for this, So started one. Please merge it if there is already a thread for this.

I may not have been selected for World Champs in Aus this weekend, But I'm going to have to pay almost the same as it would have cost me to go to Aus if I am to complete my 12th CTCT (The REAL World Champs, Not the wannabe's in Aus) in a row. Below I have attached a screenshot of the entry fee..

*Flame suit on*

image.png.3c8f1a070c3a6250b1fcab35449b3d74.png

Edited by FootballingCyclist

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Event Name: Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023
When: 12/03/2023
Where: Cape Town City Centre, Cape Town, Western Cape
Category: Road

The 45th Cape Town Cycle Tour, the biggest timed bike race in the world, will be held on Sunday, 12 March 2023.

Primarily, the Cycle Tour provides a glorious day out for tens of thousands of cyclists, no matter the weather. For just one day of the year, human power rules the roads of the fairest cape in the whole circumference of the earth (Sir Francis Drake, 1579).

It’s not all about riding legally on freeways, though; in the months following the Cycle Tour, millions of rand are ploughed back into the communities the 109km route crosses through the ongoing work of the event principals, the Pedal Power Association and the Rotary Club of Claremont.

Go to Event Page.

8 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Couldn't find a thread for this, So started one. Please merge it if there is already a thread for this.

I may not have been selected for World Champs in Aus this weekend, But I'm going to have to pay almost the same as it would have cost me to go to Aus if I am to complete my 12th CTCT (The REAL World Champs, Not the wannabe's in Aus) in a row. Below I have attached a screenshot of the entry fee..

*Flame suit on*

image.png.3c8f1a070c3a6250b1fcab35449b3d74.png

getting a bit crazy.

Add in traveling and accommodation costs to us upcountry folks and its making doing the last 4 to 21 very difficult.

you guys haha...the same reasons people list for not being able to pay that amount are the same reasons why it is more expensive for them to host it?🤷‍♂️

i thinks it fine. its only marginally more than last time around and as mentioned, considering the broken world and the inflation that went with it...that extra R50-100 or whatever is not a trains mash...what was it last year? Could have sworn it was north of R650? 

anyway, we'll complain, but we'll still do the funride world champs...because it's fun.

right? RIGHT????

so i want to continue my current trend of doing it on a different bike every year haha. I have a new bike this year but also one i havent done it on....and then I have my gravel bike that can go SS mode. So technically i'm sorted for the next 3 if I can keep my credit card in my wallet.

10 minutes ago, MORNE said:

you guys haha...the same reasons people list for not being able to pay that amount are the same reasons why it is more expensive for them to host it?🤷‍♂️

i thinks it fine. its only marginally more than last time around and as mentioned, considering the broken world and the inflation that went with it...that extra R50-100 or whatever is not a trains mash...what was it last year? Could have sworn it was north of R650? 

anyway, we'll complain, but we'll still do the funride world champs...because it's fun.

right? RIGHT????

Yea bet yea .... :clap:

Only ONE reason to do it again .....

1486598988_CTCT2022-28.jpg.fa971dd2030e1863ae901d22574f36a0.jpg

I have yet to SEE the route .... :P

PRICE .... City should hang their head in shame .... R100 added to the R650 of the previous .... nobody but the CITY officials saw that increase in salary.

Maar dit gaan mos vir n goeie doel, so ons mag nie kla nie .....

Not as if any of our "Across the mountain" events work out any cheaper ..... but why spoil a good handbag fight with facts ..... 

Edited by ChrisF

4 minutes ago, MORNE said:

so i want to continue my current trend of doing it on a different bike every year haha. I have a new bike this year but also one i havent done it on....and then I have my gravel bike that can go SS mode. So technically i'm sorted for the next 3 if I can keep my credit card in my wallet.

Do 2 laps on 2 different bikes this year which leaves you with 1, then buy another 1 before next year and do 2 laps,  1st with the new 1 and the 2nd with the one you haven't done it on this year!!

Edited by FootballingCyclist

22 minutes ago, MORNE said:

right? RIGHT????

spoken like someone thats not on a tight budget.

I'll find a way to enter, the same way I've found the funds to enter every year since 1999. Because I have a goal in place to do 21 before I'm 50.

But that does not mean I need to be happy with the entry fee.

53 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Received this on a whatsapp group, Had a nice little giggle...

IMG-20220922-WA0051.jpg

But the kit, tyres and tubes isn't really just for the one event, right? Unless you slash both tyres and tubes and, as a result crash and destroy your new kit. In which case, do NOT play the lottery!

Next year's event should actually be cheaper for us, since we'll travel less than half the distance. (Now watch "Murphey" kick me in the ....)

Edited by HdB

17 minutes ago, ouzo said:

spoken like someone thats not on a tight budget.

wow ok then. dont make assumptions, you dont know me. 🤷‍♂️ I can throw that right back in your court then and say that you are in a privileged position to fly, drive down to cape town, rent, stay with friends, airbnb or whatever, pay to get your bike here.

I wouldnt. im not that precious.  I ride it because i live here. 

all i meant was, people moan about the entry being R100 more, but organising the event also cost XX amount more due to the same reasons you complain about. fuel costs 30%+ than it did last year, logistical costs are exponentially more, everybody charges more to deliver services to cover their own increase in expenses. The speedcop and ambulance earns more, the cars they drive costs more to operate, the coke truck and all the numpties swinging pompoms, the guys with the paintball guns around smits for the baboons. that chitty stamped medal cost more to produce this year im sure. At the end of the day the entry fee needs to cover that to break even and then have some left for charity. If you cant muster extra R100 in that regard which is literally 4l of fuel, or 3 gels maybe then reconsider traveling 1500km to do a silly fun ride?

sorry if that sounds harsh.😇

Edited by MORNE

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

wow ok then. dont make assumptions, you dont know me. 🤷‍♂️ I can throw that right back in your court then and say that you are in a privileged position to fly, drive down to cape town, rent, stay with friends, airbnb or whatever, pay to get your bike here.

I wouldnt. im not that precious.  I ride it because i live here. 

all i meant was, people moan about the entry being R100 more, but organising the event also cost XX amount more due to the same reasons you complain about. fuel costs 30%+ than it did last year, logistical costs are exponentially more, everybody charges more to deliver services to cover their own increase in expenses. The speedcop and ambulance earns more, the cars they drive costs more to operate, the coke truck and all the numpties swinging pompoms, the guys with the paintball guns around smits for the baboons. that chitty stamped medal cost more to produce this year im sure. At the end of the day the entry fee needs to cover that to break even and then have some left for charity. If you cant muster extra R100 in that regard which is literally 4l of fuel, or 3 gels maybe then reconsider traveling 1500km to do a silly fun ride?

sorry if that sounds harsh.😇

So in a way I am privileged. 
I have friends that I bumbed off of to get down there for virtually nothing this year. We shared accommodation costs down there that through BikeHub generosity cost us a fraction of what the  average joe would have paid. Since 1999 I have completed 18 of the events, that in itself is a privilege. 

much like we moan about load shedding and taxes and there is not much we can do about it, the same goes for the entry fee if we still want to do the race. 

moaning about entry fees will come up every year, moaning about people moaning about entry fees will also come up every year. 

brace yourself, because next on the list, in no particular order is

* the goodie bag

* the expo 

* the weather

25 minutes ago, ouzo said:

So in a way I am privileged. 
I have friends that I bumbed off of to get down there for virtually nothing this year. We shared accommodation costs down there that through BikeHub generosity cost us a fraction of what the  average joe would have paid. Since 1999 I have completed 18 of the events, that in itself is a privilege. 

much like we moan about load shedding and taxes and there is not much we can do about it, the same goes for the entry fee if we still want to do the race. 

moaning about entry fees will come up every year, moaning about people moaning about entry fees will also come up every year. 

brace yourself, because next on the list, in no particular order is

* the goodie bag

* the expo 

* the weather

Ok ill start off with the weather.

Im on a streak, if I enter…it will rain 100%

ill take offers not to enter, pm me and ill send banking details.😊

8 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Ok ill start off with the weather.

Im on a streak, if I enter…it will rain 100%

ill take offers not to enter, pm me and ill send banking details.😊

I enjoyed the wet this year. Was my first wet one. 
It does however mean I won’t try for a pb on the day, but I had loads of fun dropping a few groups back and pulling the train from the blue route to Smits winkel,