Rhino Run 2022 - KAMAAAN Benky!!

Shebeen

19 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

I think the tracker is just confirming the reports, but we are still unsure what the protocol is for abandoning or scratching from the race? I would guess it is find your own way to the finish, so there was no other option but to continue riding after clearing the initial medical concern? I’m just speculating what the situation was.

I still don;t know what Sofiane said because instagram is impossible to nvaigate, BUT

the comments on the insta post led me to this:

coming out of springbok they both stayed on the N7 to Okiep, and then the trackers both went off. to both miraculously came back on at Steinkopf when the route rejoined.

You can guess the level of intent here, but they did dawdle for 30minutes trying to work out what to do. their riding time was 2hrs, took Benky 3:20 for that section 23 hours earlies

image.png.fba0c997d04eaee39b1247f2353f6f54.png

So despite this limited level of info, I'm going to have to say these guys have knowingly broken the rules. Such a pity, but they have both twice switched off their trackers twice when going off course. That is immediately a safety no no. but is against every principle of this type of racing and needs to be called out properly. I feel for the race org having to deal with this now, these guys rode incredibly well.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/28/2022 at 11:56 AM, Dusty said:

Benky is looking remarkably fresh and strong. That ankle of his not looking great though.

I'm with Dusty, I believe that ankle had to hinder Benky somewhat! It looked proper eina and on the one video you can see him after stopping almost first thing is putting some cream on it...

Respect to the riders! 

3 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I still don;t know what Sofiane said because instagram is impossible to nvaigate, BUT

the comments on the insta post led me to this:

coming out of springbok they both stayed on the N7 to Okiep, and then the trackers both went off. to both miraculously came back on at Steinkopf when the route rejoined.

You can guess the level of intent here, but they did dawdle for 30minutes trying to work out what to do. their riding time was 2hrs, took Benky 3:20 for that section 23 hours earlies

image.png.fba0c997d04eaee39b1247f2353f6f54.png

So despite this limited level of info, I'm going to have to say these guys have knowingly broken the rules. Such a pity, but they have both twice switched off their trackers twice when going off course. That is immediately a safety no no. but is against every principle of this type of racing and needs to be called out properly. I feel for the race org having to deal with this now, these guys rode incredibly well.

I'm going to reserve judgment until we know the real deal, as you said earlier at Beta Camp they slept for 11 hours there is no way anyone aiming for even top 10 is sleeping there that long. 

44 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

I'm going to reserve judgment until we know the real deal, as you said earlier at Beta Camp they slept for 11 hours there is no way anyone aiming for even top 10 is sleeping there that long. 

well, sofiane and Max have been riding together for a few days now, and are 40 kms from the finish.

they stopped at Rooisand for 11 hours last night, for tied 4th place..

they spent just an hour at Betta the night before, well the satellite camp however that works!

image.png.8e9ccdea786905a273125da684768d0a.png

5 hours ago, Shebeen said:

you did see the one where he Tony Greig'd the gravel corrugations with his keys?

This will be the 4th time I've had to drive him home this summer!

'If Sri Lanka are to have any chance of winning, this young man da Silva certainly holds the key!'

'I don't know about him holding the key, all he has to do is aim at the f*****g things! Look at that, didn't bounce, right off the button of your car key!'

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

well, sofiane and Max have been riding together for a few days now, and are 40 kms from the finish.

they stopped at Rooisand for 11 hours last night, for tied 4th place..

they spent just an hour at Betta the night before, well the satellite camp however that works!

image.png.8e9ccdea786905a273125da684768d0a.png

I think Sofiane has given up on the win if you follow his Instagram posts. He had a massive season winning TD most recently. Okes are probably just in survival mode right now.

1 hour ago, milky4130 said:

I think Sofiane has given up on the win if you follow his Instagram posts. He had a massive season winning TD most recently. Okes are probably just in survival mode right now.

Yep, he definitely won't win. 😂

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
7 hours ago, MongooseMan said:

Video from Rae, who filmed the race:

What an awesome video, inspiring and uplifting and majestic! Wow! great footage!

• 2 months later...

Benky has already taken a commanding lead!

As you quite rightly said @Dusty, it's a long race! I will be dot watching over the next week!

Benky a 180km ahead and on his way to Ceres, I see they've added the 2022 time markers. Some ways behind that, but not sitting idle.

Last year they had a big tailwind on day 2... so that will be a big factor why he is a little off last years pace.

What a machine!