MTB Purchase - Choices, choices...

LHAP

Hey guys! 

I'm in the market for a new full-sus MTB. I'm having trouble deciding between the following options: 

- 2021 Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup (https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Scott/Spark-RC-900-World-Cup,31472) - R 120,000.00

- 2022 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon Ltd (https://www.cannondale.com/en-za/bikes/mountain/cross-country/scalpel/scalpel-carbon-ltd) - R 110,000.00

- 2022 Specialized Epic Evo Expert (https://www.specialized.com/za/en/epic-evo-expert/p/199656?color=319953-199656) - R 125,000.00

I've owned a 2013 Scott Spark 910 and a 2017 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2 and were happy with both bikes. Bear in mind that, although I'm an XC kind of guy, I enjoy technical trails very, very much! I see myself as an XC guy, with an element of Enduro and I race the local XC series on a yearly basis.

The 2021 Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup is slightly lighter than the 2022 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon Ltd, has a 110mm fork and 180mm front rotor.

The 2022 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon Ltd is cheaper, has a slightly slacker head tube angle and can accommodate 2 water bottles.

The 2022 Specialized Epic Evo Expert has 120mm travel front and rear, a slack head tube angle and 4-piston brakes. However, I fear that it might not be "racy" enough for me... 

The different wheelsets on these bike don't concern me too much, since I'll be fitting my South Industries Enduro wheelset to race XC with (I've broken all other wheelsets I've tried, including a set of Stan's ZTR Arch EX). I'll be using the stock wheelset on the bike I choose for gravel griding. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

MTB Comparison (October 2022).pdf

Spez epic, but read the fine print on the rims. 

Or, downspec the wheel set to stock aluminum versions and save some tom if you're going to swap them out for your own set

There's a reason why the Epic Evo is so popular for xc and the odd trail/Enduro racing

1 hour ago, Mtbiker404 said:

Errm error, I think you meant this Ibis:

Profi-Bikes aus Albstadt: Ibis Exie | BIKE

Actually didn't know about the Exie 🤔

1 hour ago, M L said:

Actually didn't know about the Exie 🤔

Yes it`s new. For me I would go for that Spark with the Spline 1200 wheels and 110mm SID. But if money was no option and wanted a boutique bike, the Exie is probably my 1st choice bike. These are all good bikes but the Exie has something special about it.

4 hours ago, LHAP said:

Hey guys! 

I'm in the market for a new full-sus MTB. I'm having trouble deciding between the following options: 

- 2021 Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup - R 120,000.00

- 2022 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon Ltd - R 110,000.00

- 2022 Specialized Epic Evo Expert - R 125,000.00

Would you consider a Trek Top Fuel ?

And then, which of those bike are in stock in your size ?

15 hours ago, splat said:

Would you consider a Trek Top Fuel ?

And then, which of those bike are in stock in your size ?

Yerrr, that is the most important question, stock was such an issue last year, and beginning this year, and probably still is.

My wife waited 4 months for her Top Fuel 7 and I waited 7 months for mine.

Not easy being a bike buyer at the moment.

I've been on the new Spark for a while (900). Super happy with it. Coming of some big bikes over the last few years (Yeti SB130, Scott Ransom, Transition Sentinel) - it is awesome to have a bike that pedals so well and is so light, but still very confident on anything Jonkershoek or Helderberg has...

That being said, I'm not on an RC. I would do the normal one if you wanted to do more techy trails. 

Full disclosure, I sell Scott bikes. Give me a shout if you want a killer deal on one...

Edited by Grease_Monkey