[Event] Winelands Cycle Race

Paarl Rotary

That Finistime website is just pathetic honestly. The times will probably be transferred to Racetec soon but yeah we’re gonna have to make do with it for now until the upgraded site is ready.

Most likely will be launched around Argus time along with the permanent race boards. For now it’s carry on buying the stupid disposable ones to make up for the free one we are receiving for the Argus. You can’t make this stuff up 🤣

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, mikkelz said:

Great event, strange that there's no event page/post for it. Reminds that the views on the Hub are just a small percentage of what's actually going on out there. 😉 

Anyway, another thing I don't like about the FinishTime results page (aside from the wasteful disposable timing chips, lack of historic race data, etc.) is that there does not seem to be a way to view finishers by category.

i.e. I want to see how everyone did in my starting category. The "Category Results" link just shows the top 3 in each category, same with gender. 😞

Also looking forward to there being fewer questions at each future race number collection of people asking if they need to also bring their RaceTec chips and how do they mount the FinishTime one. 😜 That really made things take longer than they needed to at collection in Wellington on Friday.

At some point they will update Racetec and you will be able to see the starting groups also (but wont be able to filter them). A a step backwards, hope its something they can fix before the CTCT

A-group was neutralised this year till we got out of town after some horrific crashes at past events. Seems they need to look into something similar for all groups... 🤕

17 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

That Finistime website is just pathetic honestly. The times will probably be transferred to Racetec soon but yeah we’re gonna have to make do with it for now until the upgraded site is ready.

Most likely will be launched around Argus time along with the permanent race boards. For now it’s carry on buying the stupid disposable ones to make up for the free one we are receiving for the Argus. You can’t make this stuff up 🤣

you know things are bad when the people want racetec!!

16 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

A-group was neutralised this year till we got out of town after some horrific crashes at past events. Seems they need to look into something similar for all groups... 🤕

Great idea!

18 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

I was in F and our group started like a house on fire. I got caught out fiddling with my computer and next thing you know there’s a gap and you’re just burning unnecessary matches trying to close it. 

The first 5km in C were also wild. When we got onto Distillery Road, things settled down a little. But yeah, it's not a fun way to start with so many turns and roundabouts.

Well I did the shorter route, and when those long rout guys shot past us (after the route merger), I had a lot of respects for them..

18 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I was in F and our group started like a house on fire. I got caught out fiddling with my computer and next thing you know there’s a gap and you’re just burning unnecessary matches trying to close it. 

Those youngsters in F were crazy fast, we were Zone 2'ing in D when they caught us just before Bothmas. Few of us crested with them and we ended up passing most of C and even catching a bunch of B riders just before the finish.

45 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

it is not just this race, most races that start in "towns" tend to just be crazy from the word go.  Just a question: how did they "practically" do this for you guys in the A-bunch?  Did they have a marshall which you shall not pass?

The only gripe I have was pre-race with the people turning the R44 into their personal race track. Speeding and risky overtaking in the dark and on blind corners. And for what exactly? Better parking spot?
Maybe it was isolated to my start time - maybe I'm getting too old and I'm loosing my tolerance levels... 

Just get up earlier. If you miss your start group it's not the end of the world - just start later.

40 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Those youngsters in F were crazy fast, we were Zone 2'ing in D when they caught us just before Bothmas. Few of us crested with them and we ended up passing most of C and even catching a bunch of B riders just before the finish.

Yeah i think the winner of our group did 2:40 which is crazy fast. 

42 minutes ago, Denis Dell said:

it is not just this race, most races that start in "towns" tend to just be crazy from the word go.  Just a question: how did they "practically" do this for you guys in the A-bunch?  Did they have a marshall which you shall not pass?

The race director (who follows the leaders under race conditions) drives his car in front at a reasonable speed. We bunch up behind him. When it's race on he waves a flag out his window and speeds away.

1 minute ago, bleedToWin said:

The race director (who follows the leaders under race conditions) drives his car in front at a reasonable speed. We bunch up behind him. When it's race on he waves a flag out his window and speeds away.

except if it's the cycle tour, then he drives his car at a speed those who can't trackstand fall over

4 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Stupid fun at the start of D ...

Bike issue, rider on the pavement fixing it .... 4 or 5 of his buddies blocking part of the road .... another gent almost in the middle of the road STANDING, checking out his buddies on the side ...  rest of D bunch swerving to miss the person standing in the middle of the road.

EDIT - changed my wording above, appologies for the harsh wording.

After this I made sure to stay far left and made way for those that got held up.

By the first turn I was stone cold last.

By the circle I joined a lady that got dropped ... rest of D was gone out of sight.

These riders really start FAST.

i was out of Wellington when the lead group of F flew past us !  They were MOVING !!

Edited by ChrisF