Dad and son journey

Theunissa

Hello fellow cyclists. I want to start a tread with me and my sons cycling journey. He turned 8 31 Oct. And thanks to bike hub classifieds I could get him a good condition Titan hades 20" bike. I have serviced it and fixed a few things. I have gone on 3 rides with him and he's really keen on Racing. He's already done up to 7km and wasn't tired wanted to do more. So I'm thinking to take him up to 10km. Do one or two races amd see how it goes from there. PS I'm also abit out of shape. Only started recently after being off since lock down. Here is a photo of him with his new bike on the first day wa sat Buffelsdrift. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/14/2022 at 6:56 AM, DJR said:

A father and son that do stuff together and enjoy it - the stuff lifelong priceless memories are made of!👍

Amen to that. It's the one thing I can with him easily. I work long hours as a tradesman and your time is already squeezed 

On 11/14/2022 at 7:02 AM, Richard tiplady said:

Speaking from experience after many a fun ride with my grandson  l started pushing him for faster times etc. He then went completely off cycling and only now after about a year have I got him back on the bike. Don’t take the fun away cycling is such a special family fun sport.

On 11/14/2022 at 7:02 AM, Richard tiplady said:

Speaking from experience after many a fun ride with my grandson  l started pushing him for faster times etc. He then went completely off cycling and only now after about a year have I got him back on the bike. Don’t take the fun away cycling is such a special family fun sport.

On 11/13/2022 at 10:13 PM, porqui said:

Eight years old ???

Take it easy on him please !!!

No worries. I'm not doing this to push him. I was never pushed or will push. I do my own racing ( I'm only at 20km average) so I ride with him at his pace then go do my own thing afterwards. I just believe he can do 10km easy. But will stay at that. Until he wants to do more 

So currently the bike is standing we couldn't ride weekend was raining to much. I'm gonna have to get tracks going in the farm. He's getting 10 punctures a day riding through sekelbos. Bike is 3 weeks old and 2 tubes. So I'm trying to convert to tubeless. But work and broken cars are keeping me busy this week. 

8 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

So currently the bike is standing we couldn't ride weekend was raining to much. I'm gonna have to get tracks going in the farm. He's getting 10 punctures a day riding through sekelbos. Bike is 3 weeks old and 2 tubes. So I'm trying to convert to tubeless. But work and broken cars are keeping me busy this week. 

Maritz did many trails on two bikes with tubes. 

We used "Sludge" in the tubes ... yellow bottle with the rhino on it.

Enjoy 👍👍

On 11/15/2022 at 6:31 PM, ChrisF said:

Maritz did many trails on two bikes with tubes. 

We used "Sludge" in the tubes ... yellow bottle with the rhino on it.

Enjoy 👍👍

So I decided to stick to Tyre liner and fug it in the tube. To much effort getting it seated. Maybe when I get a big compressor again I will try. 

20221118_185618.jpg

20221118_184548.jpg

20221118_184449.jpg

20221118_184432.jpg

10 minutes ago, DJR said:

"Serious" cyclists look down at tyre liners, but they WORK! And they probably work better than a dodgy tubeless setup at avoiding flats. 

Back when I was involved with a bike shop the suggestion for children and in fact anyone that didn't ride on a very regular basis was tyre liners and slime rather than tjoopless ....