Radar back light

DieMelkman

Hi peeps

I'm looking into getting a radar rear light for my bike, especially as I commute to the office. 

I have to choose between the Garmin Varia RTL515 and the Magene L508. They are both the same price currently. 

Anybody have experience with the Magene? I quite like its "brake light" feature. 

What are your thoughts? 

Thanks

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, DieMelkman said:

Hi peeps

I'm looking into getting a radar rear light for my bike, especially as I commute to the office. 

I have to choose between the Garmin Varia RTL515 and the Magene L508. They are both the same price currently. 

Anybody have experience with the Magene? I quite like its "brake light" feature. 

What are your thoughts? 

Thanks

Is it a brake light you are looking for 🤔

Check out GP Lama on YouTube for his review of the Magene 

The Garmin unit is tried and tested, I never ride without mine 

No experience with the Magene but have a Varia and like most Garmins it works flawlessly. Has given me a lot of confidence on the road and can’t imagine riding on the road without it anymore. 

I went for a long ride today and forgot to charge the battery, so it died halfway in the ride and I just realised again how this device has changed my mindset and safety on the road

I now even ride relatively confidentently on narrow roads with no shoulders which are not too busy - I can ride in the lane and just move to the edge as soon as the radar warns me of an oncoming car

I can only speak from the varia perspective, it’s been a game changer for me and it’s tremendously valuable to give you good idea where the cars are and how close/fast they are coming. It also changes flash modes when cars are approaching and I am convinced this helps to draw motorists attention to you. Tried and tested, really like the auto adjusting when linked to my Garmin head unit. While I don’t know anything about your other option, I can highly recommend the Garmin varia. Pair it with the Garmin front light and it really works together to keep you safer and visible on the road.

I've had my Varia for just over a year now. Best R3k I've spent on bicycle accessories. Even my riding buddies rely on the beep beep to keep an ear out for approaching vehicles. 

11 hours ago, Mook said:

Is it a brake light you are looking for 🤔

Good point. It is not a requirement, but like that drivers behind me will be able to see that I am slowing down.

Does the Magene integrate with a Garmin head unit (eg Edge) and show the red line and the dots on the side?

FWIW the Garmin is the best upgrade i have done to my bike in terms of safety. I cannot overstate how much i use it and rely on it for information about approaching cars as well as looking at it to tell me if there are cars behind me when I am moving around lanes and turning. It will become integral to the way you ride. I was out on the MTB on the road and don't have the Varia tail light fitted to that MTB, but i still kept glancing down to the Garmin head unit to see what traffic was behind me when i heard road noise from behind as its become second nature to check it and to listen to the audible warnings.  I cant comment on the Magene but will happily say that the Varia is indispensable if you ride on the road with traffic from the back.

Like the rest of the responses - I've been riding the varia for about 6 months now and it is one of the best upgrade I have purchased recently (along with tubeless tyres!). It changes your riding completely - and gives much more confidence, allowing you to move over when a car is near, but use more of the road when it's clear. Also really useful to know when there are multiple cars coming up, and the red warning when they're coming up fast is great. I am sure you can get the Magene cheaper if you shop around - I've been told the Magene is bit plasticky but don't know that from personal experience. Whichever you go for it is going to make a big difference.

I just read the Magene spec and one feature  i cant see if it gives an audible warning with the car approaching - which is a feature of the Garmin. As the post above says you start to listen for that warning when you are out on the road and look to see whats coming and if necessary to move closer to the shoulder or off the shoulder.

FWIW and i am not sure everyone knows this but its a couple of CTN boytjies who developed it and sold it to Garmin and i believe they still work on the code and features for it.

https://businesstech.co.za/news/trending/77267/garmin-acquires-sa-startup-ikubu/

So you are buying local.

But if i was Garmin i would start using this thread on my website - hell i know i am a fan boy but this is next level.

The Magene uses the standard ANT+ protocol for this, so should work the same as the Garmin in terms of allowing the head unit (Garmin, Wahoo, any that support the specification) to beep.

If I remember correctly from GPLama's video, the only thing that was odd with the Magene was that it would not flash again if another car entered the radar's range if the previous one had not left it yet. I'm not sure what my Garmin one does, to be honest. Plus this is something that can be changed with a software update.

At the same price, I'd go with the Garmin. Whichever you choose, it really is an awesome tool.

Edited by HdB