2022 Virgin Active Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

2 hours ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I would say the groups/events got bigger, I did the Emperors race earlier his year and it was a big event.

Are the same groups still just as fast/slow post lock down and COVID etc as before? the pro groups seems to be just as fast but us in the alphabet soup I am not sure where I fit in... maybe I should do another race just to see where I fit I suppose.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, s14phoenix said:

Are the same groups still just as fast/slow post lock down and COVID etc as before? the pro groups seems to be just as fast but us in the alphabet soup I am not sure where I fit in... maybe I should do another race just to see where I fit I suppose.

I personally think they got faster with everyone on e-racing with zwift and all the indoor training but then again its just me.

21 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I personally think they got faster with everyone on e-racing with zwift and all the indoor training but then again its just me.

Faster but certainly more sketchy and unsafe ... IMHO of course 😉

So I have a question, not sure if anyone knows the answer. I haven't done a 947 road race since 2015. I have done 11 of them previously but been doing mainly MTB and did the 947 55km one in 2019. I've registered to do it this year but because I haven't done it in few years will I be starting at 10:00 with the newbies or will my previous ones carry some weight at least? Not looking for a super early start but right at the back can be a bit of a nightmare.

43 minutes ago, Sandro said:

So I have a question, not sure if anyone knows the answer. I haven't done a 947 road race since 2015. I have done 11 of them previously but been doing mainly MTB and did the 947 55km one in 2019. I've registered to do it this year but because I haven't done it in few years will I be starting at 10:00 with the newbies or will my previous ones carry some weight at least? Not looking for a super early start but right at the back can be a bit of a nightmare.

When seeding comes out you can always drop them an email with some supporting info (strava training and or previous results), sometimes it works and they bump you up a few groups. 

On 9/14/2022 at 7:53 AM, agilwolf said:

Out of  interest, how much "slower" are the times on the "new" route than the route of 2019?  (If at all)

Depending on your level of fitness of course, IMO, roughly 5mins slower on this route. (If you're going just under sub3). The extra km's do make a slight difference. 

I take this based on my previous results and results of friends on a similar fitness level.

On the 2019 route I managed 2:54 from C group.

Last year was 2:55 from A group, with slightly better fitness 

Hope this helps.

Looking forward to a lekker ride with my son (13) this year. It will be his first 947. Will get back chasing PBs again next year

2018 2h54 from E

2019 2h37 from A

2021 2h47 from A after being in the break on the highway to Douglasdale

40 minutes ago, BouncingBrain said:

Depending on your level of fitness of course, IMO, roughly 5mins slower on this route. (If you're going just under sub3). The extra km's do make a slight difference. 

I take this based on my previous results and results of friends on a similar fitness level.

On the 2019 route I managed 2:54 from C group.

Last year was 2:55 from A group, with slightly better fitness 

Hope this helps.

I agree, its close on 10mins slower

9 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

I agree, its close on 10mins slower

Just checked, the A Batch peleton did a 2h29 on the previous route and a 2h39 on the new route

22 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

Just checked, the A Batch peleton did a 2h29 on the previous route and a 2h39 on the new route

Are you checking the A riders times that you know of?

As I know the batch results were not as previously on Racetec as it currently is with Finishtime.

5 minutes ago, BouncingBrain said:

Are you checking the A riders times that you know of?

As I know the batch results were not as previously on Racetec as it currently is with Finishtime.

Yes, my mate finished with the peleton last year and rode a 2h39, although, the race was won by the break. And in 2019 the results are on racetec and a laaitie klapped us with a 2h29