2022 Virgin Active Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

24 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

OOPS, so I lied to the missus about being easier, I must have been a bit fitter or could have been the bike..

I personally think it IS easier on the new route.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Logic:
If your average speed is slower, it’s harder
if your average speed is faster; it’s easier.

in reality, fitness, mentality, weather conditions, bunch pacing, bunch positioning, hydration, fueling, sleep the days leading in to race day, and more all play a part in the perception of easier/harder.

11 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Logic:
If your average speed is slower, it’s harder
if your average speed is faster; it’s easier.

in reality, fitness, mentality, weather conditions, bunch pacing, bunch positioning, hydration, fueling, sleep the days leading in to race day, and more all play a part in the perception of easier/harder.

dont come here with facts to spoil the perception :) 

19 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

dont come here with facts to spoil the perception :) 

That’s my excuse; it’s worked for years. You must find your own 😊😊🤣🤦🏻‍♂️

12 hours ago, Vetplant said:

It doesn’t get any easier, you just get faster. – Greg Lemond

;)

I don't agree with Greg by the way. For the Average Joe at least, faster is easier.

4 Hours on Jhb Roads, in November, on a Mtb, dodging all kinds of riders... is much harder than 2h55 on a Road Bike in the first bunch of batches in the cool morning breeze with open roads. 

Edited by Vetplant
Spelling

It has always been the hardest race of the year for me. Maybe because I expected to do better every time than what I did or the seemingly endless array of hills or the double loops for charity - I just always battled and then in 2019 after trying too hard without enough training, I was coming out of Kyalami and I got strange like pains or like a stuck wind in my chest really scared me. I thought I had booked a trip to ER and limped home.

I stopped riding mostly with some casual rides and indoor training only until now when I entered this year.

I am a different rider now with less need to be so serious or compete - having fun and enjoying the day and having a good ride is enough and just hanging with a group of similar speed and fitness that is my goal no more chasing time - lets see where they set the seeding first. 

11 minutes ago, Wet Ears said:

Any idea as to the process if you want to do a double loop? 

I speak under correction, but with the new route, I do not think their is a double loop option.

2 hours ago, Wet Ears said:

Thanks Frosty, you would need a pretty early start time though tio do it unofficially 

The official Double Lap group starts early enough to get back in time, hence the reason they say a 3.5 ride time is the minimum requirement.

I didn't do 2021 (thanks Covid) so I don't know the route from FNB only know the old route.  Doing the 35km with my children - it's the beginning and end of the normal route. 

Any parts to be particularly careful, big climbs etc. ?  

Here is the  normal route and below that the 35km route  and below that  the normal route.

Thank you for your help 

image.png.26162744181b9b779719a5a5249a7acc.png

image.png.eb204bb8d8d26e03ff43e42eb701d9fa.png

Edited by Red Robin

1 hour ago, 117 said:

All the bigger climbs are in the 2nd half of the 97km route

image.png.95e5fee9530910fb66e42a81fc9369d3.png

The shorter will have a few ups and downs but nothing to worry too much about: 

image.png.d0d5836b3e8b40f8b4aa1df30a58e95b.png

Thank you so much.