[Event] Oak Valley 24hr MTB

Robert Le Brun

On 1/28/2023 at 11:25 AM, chicksdigdirt said:

Not the same organisers. Guess riders don't notice...

Rob le Brun who has taken it over is a lekker oke.

Full gees!

he has been known to get a bit excited in planning adventure race courses, so the bog standard loop perfected by Meurant will at least be an easy one limit the unexpected surprises.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Headshot said:

My first 24 hrs coming up this weekend... should be a jol

Flipping awesome @Headshot

you going solo or in a team?

Edit: this is one event I really miss doing.

Edited by Hairy

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Team of 4 ...Beauties and the Beasts

Enjoy ... team of 4 is a nice size.

The only time I did a team thing, it was way too large, and was just not as fun as solo riding.

Make sure you take the time to ride out to the dam after the long climb and go for a swim....if you get your last laps timing right, you can hook out that way before the final days 12:00 cut off, take a dip and finish the ride afterwards.

Have done a few of these events.... Solo and in a team.... Loved doing It as a team, was so much fun and would not mind entering another one at some stage. 

The 24hr of Wiesenhoff use to be epic fun. 

6 hours ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

Have done a few of these events.... Solo and in a team.... Loved doing It as a team, was so much fun and would not mind entering another one at some stage. 

The 24hr of Wiesenhoff use to be epic fun. 

except for the swim in the swamp at the Wiesenhoff camp ... that was a sketchy place to swim

Question for those that have done the race before.

They mention a Rider Support Zone and I presume this is where you will put your gazebo with your support team, drinks and food. Is there enough space for everyone or will it be advisable to go early on Saturday to get a spot?

Thanks.  

On 3/29/2023 at 2:25 PM, Eddie Stafford said:

Question for those that have done the race before.

They mention a Rider Support Zone and I presume this is where you will put your gazebo with your support team, drinks and food. Is there enough space for everyone or will it be advisable to go early on Saturday to get a spot?

Thanks.  

Go really early and try to find a spot by the trees. Unpack at a relaxed page and start selling into the event.

Pull up a chair a little later and watch later people frantically setting up tents and camp site's 

Edited by Hairy

Also avoid seeing up at what looks like it could be a slip route though the trees or plants do that you do not have people cutting corners and tripping over your tent pegs and stuff through the night

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

Go really early and try to find a spot by the trees. Unpack at a relaxed page and start selling into the event.

Pull up a chair a little later and watch later people frantically setting up tents and camp site's 

that's the spot for the grabouw locals. well at least that's what i thought it was. bring cake/biltong if you're going to camp there!

This was a fun event but rather  poorly supported by the cycling community. My team consisted of some riders who have been doing the 24 since 2013 and they said it was far better attended in the past. That said, the small entry didn't spoil the fun and the organization and gees was excellent. I think they plan to have it again next year and grow the event. There was even a commentator on duty at 4 am!

There is something rather special about riding two laps between 2 and 4 am on a night where the mist came down and created an eerie effect with your lighting at times. That and the baboon warning scream that got me pedaling a bit faster at one point. 

Was lucky enough to ride with some really decent bike lights - head and bars and it was almost as good as daylight. 

Great event and well done to the organizers!

3 minutes ago, Headshot said:

This was a fun event but rather  poorly supported by the cycling community. My team consisted of some riders who have been doing the 24 since 2013 and they said it was far better attended in the past. That said, the small entry didn't spoil the fun and the organization and gees was excellent. I think they plan to have it again next year and grow the event. There was even a commentator on duty at 4 am!

There is something rather special about riding two laps between 2 and 4 am on a night where the mist came down and created an eerie effect with your lighting at times. That and the baboon warning scream that got me pedaling a bit faster at one point. 

Was lucky enough to ride with some really decent bike lights - head and bars and it was almost as good as daylight. 

Great event and well done to the organizers!

This is really an event one has to experience at least once in your life.

Well done and if I can get back on a bike, I will be there next year