Grippy flat pedals

myhero

Hi All,

i have a pair of Giant flat resin pedals but am looking for a larger set with more grip /pins.

Please could you recommend a good set of pedals?

The ones I’ve been considering are:

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/crank-brothers-stamp-1-pedals

Rockbros - Extra Width Mountain Bike Pedals - Green available to buy online at @TAKEALOT We offer fast, reliable delivery to your door.
https://www.takealot.com/rockbros-extra-width-mountain-bike-pedals/PLID91266644

Edited by myhero

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

I have two different model large footprint flatpedal - both Giant branded pedals.

I have to lift my shoe up off the pedal to move my foot position.

Awesome they sound good, please can you post a link to it?

6 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

DMR Vault

Shimano Saint 

Hope F20 

All good bearing systems , all seem stupidly reliable and have tons of pins 

Top draw stuff 👌

4 minutes ago, myhero said:

Awesome they sound good, please can you post a link to it?

Wil need to check the model numbers tomorrow.

One is top end model, bought with the bike.

The other is mid tier. On my commuter.

The shape of pedal and what you do on it will also dictate how ‘grippy’ they feel.

Generally speaking you probably want a 100% flat pedal like the Saints or something with a slight concave in them that allows the sole of your shoe to bend and sink into the platform a bit. that gives you a super grippy locked in feel.
Some pedals are convex…as in they either have the pedal spindle raised in the middle or achieved by pins. These will give you more freedom on the pedal to move your foot around and are usually preferred by guys who jump and do tricks etc. As in you beed to be able to move your feet around on the pedals with ease but still have enough grip.

if you want a flat pedal that will give you that ‘locked in feel’ of a clipped pedal while stood on them, you’ll want a flat with some ‘concave’ in them. 

48DB84BC-794E-4EA2-BA96-5F22D32849C6.jpeg
edit: the stamps are as you can see slightly convex. It’s a common ‘issue’ with composite pedals because the spindle housing needs to be chunkier. Here are some VERY popular composite pedals with some concave in them. Apparently they feel just like the alloy ones in that regard.

https://trailtechcycles.co.za/collections/pedals/products/burgtec-mk4-composite-flat-pedals

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/burgtec-mk4-composite-flat-pedals.html

https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/pedals-products/burgtec-mk4-composite-pedals

Edited by MORNE

8 hours ago, myhero said:

Hi All,

i have a pair of Giant flat resin pedals but am looking for a larger set with more grip /pins.

Please could you recommend a good set of pedals?

The ones I’ve been considering are:

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/crank-brothers-stamp-1-pedals

Rockbros - Extra Width Mountain Bike Pedals - Green available to buy online at @TAKEALOT We offer fast, reliable delivery to your door.
https://www.takealot.com/rockbros-extra-width-mountain-bike-pedals/PLID91266644

Avoid the Crank Brothers. Pins are too short and they offer very little grip. 

My money is on the OneUp composite. I have both the alu and composite versions and they are excellent. 

Keep in mind that the right shoe is as important as the pedal. 

Edited by Steady Spin

Just a side on the One-Up’s…they don't play well with carbon crank boots with their big inboard bearing cups….also, not big feet😅. That bulge is just in the way.

2 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

My money is on the OneUp composite. I have both the alu and composite versions and they are excellent. 

Yes, I can confirm. Very impressed with the Oneup composite pedals. 👍🏻

FWIT...the Shimano Saint are horrendous in comparison to most options here.

So far I have used...

DMR V8, Vault and V12

Shi7mano Saint

Spank Oozy Trail

C(w)ank Brothers Stamp

Nukeproof Horizon Sam Hill

As it stands, the Nukeproof are by some large margin better than the others in terms of grip, ease of "finding" the pedal as well as service kits (yes, even though both come from CRC).

They are also substantially cheaper than the Spank and DMR (non V8) options.

The Saint had very very poor grip (over multiple shoes). The Crank Brothers were pretty good, but lacked some grip over the Spank and a lot over the Nukeproof. The DMR V8 (I had) had a few non replaceable pins (deal breaker for long term IMO). The other DMR are suuuuuuper expensive, but also very very nice and pins are cheap n easy to get last i checked at any bolt n nut shop.

I Have the Nukeproof Horizon pedals. They are extremely grippy and in my experience have been reliable.

Have had Shimano Saint (previous gen) and DMR V8s. The Saint gripped the "worst" but had the nicest shape for foot fatigue. The Nukeproof pins are so big that you can feel them - you can of course make them shorter if you want.

Buy Nukeproof Horizon if you want absolute grip.

33 minutes ago, Thermophage said:

FWIT...the Shimano Saint are horrendous in comparison to most options here.

So far I have used...

DMR V8, Vault and V12

Shi7mano Saint

Spank Oozy Trail

C(w)ank Brothers Stamp

Nukeproof Horizon Sam Hill

As it stands, the Nukeproof are by some large margin better than the others in terms of grip, ease of "finding" the pedal as well as service kits (yes, even though both come from CRC).

They are also substantially cheaper than the Spank and DMR (non V8) options.

The Saint had very very poor grip (over multiple shoes). The Crank Brothers were pretty good, but lacked some grip over the Spank and a lot over the Nukeproof. The DMR V8 (I had) had a few non replaceable pins (deal breaker for long term IMO). The other DMR are suuuuuuper expensive, but also very very nice and pins are cheap n easy to get last i checked at any bolt n nut shop.

Also have a pair of spank spoons in 110mm. They are nice too. Spank’s pins are like blades though🤣

Burgtec also do some really decent pedals. Their composite one is surprisingly good and very well priced, and replacement bits are readily available.