Bike for longer rides

Op1

So Cyclelab put me into a large as I said im looking to be more comfortable on the bike. However I rode it and it feels ok.but I need to get a bike fit done though.

but was just overthinking and wondering if a large will be ok based on my height.

Im 172-173 and Merida recommends a Medium - Should I try to get it swapped for a medium or stick with the Large - thanks for the advice in advance guys

image.png.b690e2da1f40318f5541d68471c672b4.png

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Op1 said:

So Cyclelab put me into a large as I said im looking to be more comfortable on the bike. However I rode it and it feels ok.but I need to get a bike fit done though.

but was just overthinking and wondering if a large will be ok based on my height.

Im 172-173 and Merida recommends a Medium - Should I try to get it swapped for a medium or stick with the Large - thanks for the advice in advance guys

image.png.b690e2da1f40318f5541d68471c672b4.png

Barring a proper bike fit, I would say a large is too big for you. Especially considering you are 5cm below Merida’s range for a large. If I were in your shoes I would exchange for a medium. 

14 minutes ago, michaelbiker said:

Barring a proper bike fit, I would say a large is too big for you. Especially considering you are 5cm below Merida’s range for a large. If I were in your shoes I would exchange for a medium. 

They probably only had a Large in stock, so it MUST be the correct size for OP?? Agree with michaelbiker - go Medium.

its not the bike its y... jokes in most cases i think its more to do with the saddle its taken me 3+ years with a bike fit saddle fit and have only found a saddle that's works for me now. have about 7 or so i a box new.  

3 hours ago, RustyHWR said:

They probably only had a Large in stock, so it MUST be the correct size for OP?? Agree with michaelbiker - go Medium.

^^^ This ^^^

I have been caught the same way by another bike shop - by the OWNER, not some clueless casual ... sadly this happens all too often.

Thanks Guys. They used a RAD tool and I think that pushed out the LRG recommendation. Merida uses a smart-fit widget and using my inseam and arm length etc - it suggests a MED.

The longer wheelbase will be an advantage on longer rides such as Munga etc. Im 1,79 and i just did the munga on my large 96-4000. You can always go down to a shorter stem and/or bars with a slight rise as the stock merida comp bars are pretty flat. After munga ive started fiddling with my setup because of numb fingers. The 2022 96 hta is slightly more slack than the previous models and im pretty sure it has 120mm suspension travel, making it a bit more downhill friendly than my 2019 96. I wouldnt swop my bike for anything if im honest but i have to admit the tyre clearance at the back is a bit limiting as i cant go bigger than 2,25 when paired with my 25mm id rims. But as i said, lovely bike. Congrats on your purchase. 

3E9490BA-8719-43F1-8266-078B678E4F72.jpeg

Interestingly the 2022 reach for a large is significantly more than the 2019 large. Reach is obviously something that can be tweaked by changing the stem. As mentioned though, for longer rides generally longer wheelbase would be more of an advantage. Hta is also visibly different so there might be more to consider. 

872E7C13-26F7-49EC-AB74-BA88DBCCB7BA.png

F8CBA221-0FEF-4DBB-B638-537C56C96EE6.png

268ADF03-3EC6-4695-9014-BCDF2DB904D5.jpeg

D771791F-84CE-4732-BA3B-9FCF182C277B.jpeg

I am 1.71m... there is no way you are on a Large frame, except if you have abnornal long arms or legs. Still, then a stem change should be able to correct it. 

That Merida is a very nice bike, but its a proper race bike, so I think you will be in a aggressive position if you dont make a few changes to the handlebars, stem, etc. That stem is flipped as well if I remember correctly.  But for that money you will not get a lighter bike. Should climb like a goat! Friend bought one recently and for a small upcharge he got Cycle Lab to upgrade the fork from a 32SC to a 34SC. They also changed his stem and he got some riser handlebars. Something to consider....

I cannot believe that a fitter recommended a Large frame for you. On a Trek you maybe could have gone for the M/L

At that height, one has to consider, are you a 'large' person?

I am 1.75 short and ride Smalls and Mediums. I even ride a 50 ladies road bike so I can slap a 120mm stem on it and enjoy sitting in the bike and not having to lean it over to stand at traffic lights.

Accepting that bike size directly correlates to how many women are taller than you makes a starting point a lot easier.

Being strung out on a bike that is too big for you sucks. If you're buying, you shouldn't have to 'make it fit'. It should feel good and the micro adjustments make it feel better

Agree with what everyone is saying. 

You should be on a medium no matter what they "told" you. 

The shop took you for a ride on the wrong sized bike. Take it back and insist on a refund or exchange for a similar bike or the correct size Merida. 

This is BS that you were sold a big that is too big. 

Hey guys

so quick update  - Cycle lab has put me into a medium and it feels better ( more nimble )- now I just need to get a proper bike fit done.

What are your guys thoughts on 100mm suspension in terms of riding our general trails( hennops,vangaalens) and perhaps rides like Sani2C or Karoo2coast etc.

Edited by Op1
spelling error

K2C is downhill on gravel roads so you don't need suspension 😈   -- 100 mm is more than enough travel for general trails.

16 hours ago, RustyHWR said:

K2C is downhill on gravel roads so you don't need suspension 😈   -- 100 mm is more than enough travel for general trails.

Ahem, 95km downhill with 1685m ascent😝