Best vehicle for bikes

Rgans

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

Nope. Sport has direct injection engine and the normal ones don’t. 

That’s the issue with the 3rd gen and why the new Fit again is made in Japan. It depends where your 3rd gen was made, all the lekker places like Mexico, Malaysia, India and other cheap labour places only got non direct eniges the ones made for Japan, America and England got the new engine. 

Screenshot_20230208_184445_Chrome.jpg

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

To the ones considering a new Jazz/Fit just hold on the facelift is coming that doesn't look like it's got a growth on its face anymore. 

Not any time soon in SA though

59 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

That’s the issue with the 3rd gen and why the new Fit again is made in Japan. It depends where your 3rd gen was made, all the lekker places like Mexico, Malaysia, India and other cheap labour places only got non direct eniges the ones made for Japan, America and England got the new engine. 

Screenshot_20230208_184445_Chrome.jpg

Yeah the sport we got in SA was made in Japan 

On 2/3/2023 at 8:26 PM, Eddy Gordo said:

I think the Honda Jazz is hands down the best option. With seats down you can get a few bikes inside. 

An older station wagon type car could also work for you, but to find smaller ones are gonna be tough

I used my lexus rx 300 for ten years as my cycling car .I can fit a XXL MTB inside ,lying flat .They arn,t the lightest on petrol ,but also super reliable and cheap to repair 

Back in SA I had a little Citroen Berlingo panel van as my bike car... ok, who am I kidding, it was my only car at the time.

image.png.5270f313ef114440c83600bbffb7b8f6.png

It was pretty basic, but fuel efficient, comfy enough, and loads of space for bikes.

I could fit 3 bikes comfortably 4 bikes with a bit of jigging. I used the Saris tracks with through axle adaptors.

image.png.eb502b131f1139bdf12d3b16e7226b4d.png

image.png.2d724eb2b34fa39c0a9dec49ddf700f3.png

I think I paid R160k for it, brand new with maintenance plan. That was back in 2013, but if you can get a low mileage Citroen Berlingo, Peugeot Partner or Renault Kangoo you may find something within budget, and way cheaper than the German equivalent (thanks to French car stigma and all that)

It was a great little car back then, when I had half-a-dozen bikes (yes, mostly Morewoods 😅) and was out on the trails 3+ times a week.

Now I have just 2 bikes, no car, and ride maybe 3 times a year 😅

Edited by patches

59 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Any opimions on the Toyota CHR, I like the car

looks stylish from the outside, but all reviews mention the lack of space inside and lack of visibility

On 2/3/2023 at 3:43 PM, Rgans said:

Anyone selling their car? I am a student looking to buy my first car. I am looking for a car that is cheap on the road (reliable and fuel efficient). The problem is that those cars are typically small and uncapable of transporting bikes. Any ideas for which cars/small panel vans to look at. My budget is between R100k and R150k. 

Owning a VW caddy is the dream, however, getting one with low km's within my budget is impossible. I am browsing through gumtree and marketplace but most caddy deals seam a bit suspicious. Not interested in buying a caddy that was previously drove/abused by some courier guy. Any advice on alternative vehicles or deals to look at?

Considered a Suzuki Swift?  It is obviously on the small side,  but it's fun to drive, cheap to run, unblowupable and with the seats down you can get a bike or two in the back (with front wheels off and a bit of Tetris).  I had the previous gen for a few years and now the new one, no ragrets.  Take one for a spin and you'll see - the grin factor is huge.  Or if you're set on something a little bigger they also have the Ertiga, been Ubered in those a few times and they seem to have similar merits.

I bought a gen2 Honda CR-V about 3 months ago. 2.4 iV-TEC Executive. 

Amazingly comfortable car with LOADS of space inside, nice leather seats, climate control, aircone cruise control etc, came with a tow bar as well. Paid R145k with 148k kms on it and it drives amazingly well. 

It is a bit thirsty on fuel for short trips to work but on the open road you can get it down to around 8L/100 or so. Around town it averages about 10L/100. 

In hindsight I shouldve gotten something like a Jazz or bakkie but i love the CR-V. 

11 hours ago, patches said:

Back in SA I had a little Citroen Berlingo panel van as my bike car... ok, who am I kidding, it was my only car at the time.

It was pretty basic, but fuel efficient, comfy enough, and loads of space for bikes.

I could fit 3 bikes comfortably 4 bikes with a bit of jigging. I used the Saris tracks with through axle adaptors.

image.png.eb502b131f1139bdf12d3b16e7226b4d.png

I think I paid R160k for it, brand new with maintenance plan. That was back in 2013, but if you can get a low mileage Citroen Berlingo, Peugeot Partner or Renault Kangoo you may find something within budget, and way cheaper than the German equivalent (thanks to French car stigma and all that)

It was a great little car back then, when I had half-a-dozen bikes (yes, mostly Morewoods 😅) and was out on the trails 3+ times a week.

Now I have just 2 bikes, no car, and ride maybe 3 times a year 😅

I am finding these type of vans to be extremely ideal, especially if you gonna be kitting it out as a bike/ camp vehicle. We are in the market for similar for the wifes business as an suv just does not offer the same versatility. I have had bakkies and large suv's, they work, but are huge and heavy on fuel. I am now driving a forester and its is ideal size for the bike to fit in the back. The smaller suv's are too small unless you remove all the wheels. 

13 hours ago, eala said:

I used my lexus rx 300 for ten years as my cycling car .I can fit a XXL MTB inside ,lying flat .They arn,t the lightest on petrol ,but also super reliable and cheap to repair 

Got to love the hub. never would have considered a thirsty Lexus that as an ideal student car.  

We had a guy in res who was allowed to bring the family "spare car" to town in 2nd year from the karoo farm. It was a 70s ford impala or something insane like that. looked like it took up 1.5 parking spaces, and you could fit a whole netball team on the back seat. Thing drank petrol faster than the front row at boatraces and the poor bodywork started rusting very quickly after a trip to bikini beach. it went home that Easter and he had a plaasbakkie to get aorund with from then on.

11 hours ago, patches said:

2 seats and 4 bikes. did the other two guys squeeze on the roof?

34 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Got to love the hub. never would have considered a thirsty Lexus that as an ideal student car.  

We had a guy in res who was allowed to bring the family "spare car" to town in 2nd year from the karoo farm. It was a 70s ford impala or something insane like that. looked like it took up 1.5 parking spaces, and you could fit a whole netball team on the back seat. Thing drank petrol faster than the front row at boatraces and the poor bodywork started rusting very quickly after a trip to bikini beach. it went home that Easter and he had a plaasbakkie to get aorund with from then on.

2 seats and 4 bikes. did the other two guys squeeze on the roof?

There was a guy in my first year who had a Ford Fairlane. Coolest car in res by a mile.

8 hours ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Any opimions on the Toyota CHR, I like the car

We test drove it.

Only time ever that my wife commented that a car "felt small" ....  It is not small, not for the segment.  But you sit deep, and the windows are high and small .... was a strange feeling.

With a full sized spare wheel there is NO boot space !!!  Apparantly Totoya was considering going for a space saver size to get some boot space.  Not sure if they ever did do this.

The small motor was very lively, again for its class.  We test drove it out and back on the Hemel and Aarde road ... those nice twisties ....  I was giving it stick on the return !!!  The handling was NICE !!

The small feel, and the lack of boot size had us looking further.  

Did I mention how nice it felt around those twisties .... :thumbup:

9 hours ago, RatX said:

Considered a Suzuki Swift? 

I drove one for a week last year when Reeds N1 tried to kill my Isuzu and make me pay for it. I threatened them with mutiny and general mayhem and got given one to drive while they fixed their cock-up.

It was SUPER FUEL EFFICIENT and impressed me no small amount. I also managed to fit my XL 29'er into the back with the wheels removed and all my riding gear after folding down the seats.

I would reckon for a student car one can't go wrong with one of these.