Student Budget Frustrations

SciChe

I'm interested in getting a road/gravel bike. I desperately would like a gravel bike but just seems so impossible with my current max budget being R10 000.

The ones I can see around that price only seems to be from a medium upwards and I'm quite short needing something at around 50cm.

I can therefore possibly settle for a used road bike for now as I am closer to tar than gravel being in Table View. 

I'm completely clueless though on what a good price is, so some help would be appreciated on telling if any of these two are good options:
Giant TCR CZero 2007 Size small | Bike Hub (R6000)

Raleigh RC6000 50cm medium frame | Bike Hub (R6500)

7 minutes ago, Sciche said:

I'm interested in getting a road/gravel bike. I desperately would like a gravel bike but just seems so impossible with my current max budget being R10 000.

The ones I can see around that price only seems to be from a medium upwards and I'm quite short needing something at around 50cm.

I can therefore possibly settle for a used road bike for now as I am closer to tar than gravel being in Table View. 

I'm completely clueless though on what a good price is, so some help would be appreciated on telling if any of these two are good options:

Build yourself one up 😁

21 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Build yourself one up 😁

Didn't think of that. Will do some homework on that!

6 minutes ago, Sciche said:

Didn't think of that. Will do some homework on that!

I do believe Mr Robert will gladly give oyu some good advice. He does have quite a it of knowledge about building 

Your best bet for a really cheap gravel bike is something like a monster cross - an older mountain bike frame conversion. Alternatively, you can look for older cyclocross frames. You will really struggle to get in under R10k for a more modern disc frame, but it can be done if you are patient and willing to use cable-operated discs. 

My 10c is buy an old steel framed road bike and put 32 or even 35mm tyres on there, many of those frames have great clearance. 

Both bikes are very similar.

The Raleigh RC range has been around for ages, its a reliable well known and well used roadie for an entry level cost.

They are constantly trading and seldom drop in value, however R6000 is too much, that price is up because its the Cape Town Cycle Tour and roadies are in demand.

You can realistically pay R4500 for it.

The Giant TCR is worth the price. 

It is also a known bike and has exceptional street cred.

Take the Giant and you won't be sorry.

The geometry on the Giant will be slightly updated compared to the Raleigh and will afford you more riding comfort and performance. 

You know what I would do, or let me say: You know what I did :D

I am going to tell you what I did and then the thinking behind my actions. 

Get yourself a road rolling chassis and use a flat bar and some mtb gears. My current gear ratio is probably a bit wack but I don't really care :oops:

I have a FSA carbon road crank 39/53 (or something like that) with a 10 speed mtb 11/36T at the back. For shifters I used mtb instead of STI's with cable brakes. 

My reason: STI's will mean that you have to be in the drops when you want to either shift or pull on them coward pedals (I can imagine that will be quite unsettling if you're traveling on a dusty stuff and you're not used to it). 

Your other option which I would've done if I did not get this bike for a steal: go with a HT mtb with a rigid fork, something like this: https://momsenbikes.com/shop/frame-kits-various/frame-momsen-stf29-grey-blk/

20230307_070119.jpg

15 hours ago, Sciche said:

are you a small to medium frame ?

I have a Cannondale bike that I fitted a xlr29' lefty to that I think could work pretty well for you. if you'd be keen. Won't have very state of the art components, but will take you very far !

will send pics just now.

so the frame is a 2003/5 Cannondale, not sure about the year model, with a FOX 40MM rear travel shock, and the front is the lefty 100mm, 29' 2.1 tyres fit on the rear but given it's a gravel you are after we can just put a 35mm set on. Really only depending on your frame size preference. I built up another one I would offer but I like it to much..

kindeste

Thanks all for the very helpful replies, I've given it some thought after chatting to a super friendly and insightful lady at Cannondale Somerset West. 
I'll be saving up for a new bike to avoid issues that might come with used bikes and me not being experienced enough yet to identify what's in a good condition or not. Don't want to end up having to spend extra cash on fixing things that so early on. 
I will go have a look at the Rook Scout, seems to not be a bad place to start.

Rook Scout – Rook Cycles

4 minutes ago, SciChe said:

Thanks all for the very helpful replies, I've given it some thought after chatting to a super friendly and insightful lady at Cannondale Somerset West. 
I'll be saving up for a new bike to avoid issues that might come with used bikes and me not being experienced enough yet to identify what's in a good condition or not. Don't want to end up having to spend extra cash on fixing things that so early on. 

Rook Scout – Rook Cycles

I have the Rook and am happy with it. You not going to win races but its really great bike to get out there and enjoy it.

17 minutes ago, SciChe said:

Rook Scout – Rook Cycles

A 2nd hand bike is an excellent way to learn about "issues". If you're on a budget you will get waay more bang for buck than buying something new.

My suggestion would be to go to Nils Hansen at Woodstock Cycleworks. He is excellent at getting people of all sorts onto bikes. Actually go visit there, because it's a treasure chest of a shop just not this week - it's argus time so too busy to get quality help. Also whilst you're in the area try Avron at cycletraders on albert road, another non nonsense 2nd hand dealer with a long term reputation..

58 minutes ago, SciChe said:

Rook Scout – Rook Cycles

Great place to start