Dealing with Garmin South Africa...

MudLark

28 minutes ago, Jaco Steyn said:

45 - 60 minutes

was this winter riding or in warmer weather ?

My Edge 130 does 45 odd min in winter mornings (i resorted to just popping it in my pocket to stay warm), but seems to be able to do 3-4 hours in summer.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Jaco Steyn said:

Seems that I was lucky then.

Fortunately, I still had an old Garmin Edge 500 that I can use as a backup when things goes wrong. I also have an Edge 705 that I use for my commuting to work and back, but the Edge 500 is such a workhorse, and it has the temperature reading which the Edge 705 does not offer.  After all of these years I still have ±90% of battery life left after a 3+ hour ride. I think I'll probably be taking this one to the grave with me...😄

Maybe you could borrow a spare one from a cycling buddy until yours's sorted out instead of purchasing one?

I was thinking of selling the 130 anyway so might as well just replace it. If they give me a new one which assume they will given the unit is 2 months old I will sell it as a sealed unit.

I loved the size of the 130 and that was primarily the reason for buying it but the battery life is a bit disappointing. If I have a route loaded with climb pro, navigation, heart rate and cadence working. I’m getting maximum 7 hours. I need a bit more than that.

15 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I was thinking of selling the 130 anyway so might as well just replace it. If they give me a new one which assume they will given the unit is 2 months old I will sell it as a sealed unit.

I loved the size of the 130 and that was primarily the reason for buying it but the battery life is a bit disappointing. If I have a route loaded with climb pro, navigation, heart rate and cadence working. I’m getting maximum 7 hours. I need a bit more than that.

For longer rides I strap a small power bank to the bike and plug the 130 into that.

47 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

was this winter riding or in warmer weather ?

My Edge 130 does 45 odd min in winter mornings (i resorted to just popping it in my pocket to stay warm), but seems to be able to do 3-4 hours in summer.

Summer and winter. Its uptime has gradually been declining the last couple of months. I think the final nail in the coffin was when I was side swiped by a car that ignored a stop street that caused my Edge 130 to crash onto the road after me falling as well.

I have a Garmin forerunner 235 smartwatch. Recently it began fogging up and then is a bit of water in it. I decided to leave it and now it doesn't want to switch on or charge.

Its warranty expired about a year ago. Will I be able to get a new one ( It's made for swimming so don't get that it gets water in) or will they be able to repair it?

On 10/27/2023 at 10:23 AM, Bub Marley said:

The 530 has a DECENT battery.

Have look at Black Friday specials 👍

22 hours ago, ChrisF said:

The 530 has a DECENT battery.

Have look at Black Friday specials 👍

Second this - battery life is amazing.

The user interface (buttons) is, however, crappy IMHO when compared to a touch screen (DC Rainmaker and other reviewers note this for 530 and 540).  Shame that the 830 & 840 are $$$

5 minutes ago, Cycling 4020 said:

That's a bummer, because a I have a garmin outfront mount laying around. But I'm located in Pretoria.

thank you, that's very kind of you

4 minutes ago, nonky said:

Second this - battery life is amazing.

The user interface (buttons) is, however, crappy IMHO when compared to a touch screen (DC Rainmaker and other reviewers note this for 530 and 540).  Shame that the 830 & 840 are $$$

Coming from a 520 I have no issue with the buttons.

Okay ... zomming a map is a mission

Switching between a 130 and 530 can be confusing though ....

I also think Garmin sucks with after sales service badly.Wanted to change 820 cause my battery is shot but to pay in like 6k to the 830, no chance.

Also opened my brand new varia radar, plugged it in and nothings happens.Send it to garmin and 10 days later was told it works perfectly.Will return it to me.So let's see once I get it back.Awesome device but now there are other makes much cheaper and works as well.

I think Garmin will have to up things but like a few others mentioned here, Who cares in S.A.Only a drop in the ocean for Garmin U.S and Europe.

• 5 months later...

My wifes Garmin vivoactive4 died yesterday after a swim in the pool, the watch is 4years old. What is the chance that Garmin( as part of their repair policy) will offer a discount on the Vivoactive 5 for purchase or would they offer a discount on the same model ie VA4 ?

Im looking for information from those who have been through this process with Garmin - I am wondering if its just worth buying her a new watch and skipping the hassle via garmin support.

Edited by Op1

On 8/14/2023 at 6:50 AM, RobertWhitehead said:

I just specify the unit under my insurance and if / when it breaks I claim through them, why go through the hassle of dealing with a supplier :oops:

Isnt there a difference between failure and accident damage?

On 3/31/2024 at 11:21 AM, Op1 said:

My wifes Garmin vivoactive4 died yesterday after a swim in the pool, the watch is 4years old. What is the chance that Garmin( as part of their repair policy) will offer a discount on the Vivoactive 5 for purchase or would they offer a discount on the same model ie VA4 ?

Im looking for information from those who have been through this process with Garmin - I am wondering if its just worth buying her a new watch and skipping the hassle via garmin support.

I'm in this boat right now with Garmin Fenix 6, watched has already been couriered to them, should know in a week or 2 if I'm getting my watch repaired, discount on another 6 or discount on a new 7. I'll let you know.

I have a Garmin Forerunner 235 (from 2018) with a dead battery. Couriered it in to Garmin for assessment end of Feb, and took 13 working days from delivery to assess. The verdict: "no replacement/service parts", and offered me a Forerunner 55 at discount.

30% discount (based on pricing on Garmin's site) or 17% discount compared to other sites.