Top MTB Trails in SA

Robbie Stewart

Best MTB Trail in SA  

53 members have voted

1. 1. So, according to Top MTB Trails there is only ONE clear winner for top MTB trail in SA, and no debate will suffice unless you've ridden the winner. Any claims to the contrary are not even worth considering.

• Karkloof
    • Jonkershoek
    • Drakensberg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Riding jonkers after not doing it for a while is almost what some ppl would describe as a religious experience. 
There is just something about that place, the mountains, the quiet, the views, the exposure on some of the trails. It makes you feel….small, but also calm and most importantly….100% in the moment. I almost like that I can only go there once in a while. It makes it even more of an experience.

The last 10 times I swung a leg over my saddle, 7 of those 10 times was at Jonkers according to the orange oracle of stats. But yes, no matter how often or how infrequently one goes, that place is just special.

And also, Hylton Turvey has his hand in the building that has happened there, so there's that for all the die-hard Karkloof disciples.

2 hours ago, El Duderino said:

I think the main reason for marathon types avoiding Jonkers is not that it's technical but that it's that you either riding up a steep hill...or down one. What I've heard...not sure if true as I've not ridden there. 

Partially true. There is a lekker loop of around 10km that doesn't require climbing that goes up the valley on the one side and back again on the other along the bottom around the dam. It's pretty much flat.

but the marathon crowd must also know that around Jan / Feb all the pro's from Europe and beyond congregate in Stellies and can often be spotted lurking around the trails in the area, including Jonkers.

So . . . if the pro's ride there, then the marathon types must start putting their skin the game if they want to walk the talk. :whistling:

15 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Some of the george, gard route trails rated poorly. I wonder what the criteria is. It seems more in favour of gravel grind singletrack kind of trails with a bit of gravity.

https://www.topmtbtrails.co.za/region/western-cape/

I saw that too. I mean next to JH, Witfontein is probably the closest rendition to true, raw mountain biking. This leads me to believe that the general MTB community in South Africa are in reality just glorified gravel riders and steer well clear of anything remotely technical. 

That's cool, people must do what they feel good at, but I would say that Witfontein is severely under-rated.

I haven’t ridden at KK or Drakensburg

I have ridden Jonkers on a couple of occasions and even did the enduro there last year.

Two weekends ago I was at Jonkers and was disappointed that Iron Monkey was closed. Lately it always feels like something is closed at Jonkers….

Maybe I am a little dead inside but I was not in awe or felt inspired by Jonkers in anyway.

Just reading up on KK and Drakensburg, this makes me crave to get on my bike. They seem dwarf Jonkers in sheer km’s of riding (up and down).

I still do maintain that Stellenbosch as a hub is probably the best riding destination for mountain bikers. Combine all the trails together in that region you have endless riding variety.

Cant really argue with the ranking unless you have actually ridden all these trails.

Edited by Yyyy

26 minutes ago, Yyyy said:

Two weekends ago I was at Jonkers and was disappointed that Iron Monkey was closed. Lately it always feels like something is closed at Jonkers….

Trail maintenance is a thing. Iron Monkey has been receiving some TLC of late. It has only been closed over the course of the last two weekends. Prior to that I have been riding down there plenty.

Having done both i suppose KK is pretty good as well, but the setting of Jonkers and the valley its in - on a good day that scenery is just world class. Then theres the after the ride agenda where its not just about coffee but going to a wine farm for lunch just up the road, or imbibing craft lagers. The KK country club and regions has some breweries and things but i think Jonkers takes it IMO for the whole package. THeres just unbelieveably veautifule rides everywhere here. I am biased - but i was sitting  at a wine farm in the Banhoek the other day (oldenburg- google it) which is up a valley some of the banhoek trails go through and you just cannot believe the sheer beauty of the surrounds. So on balance with the whole package in mind i woud rather be in W cape than in KZN any day of the week. Pure riding - they are probably on par. You can get pretty gnarly at Jonkers and some fo the other trails flow lines are just sublime.

TBH its also very subjective. Some people like the hard core sphincter puckering riding you get on some of the trails. Others are there for the setting and the joy of good flow on a great trail. Not everyone wnats to huck the big drops. I even did the helicopter thing up the berg and whilst unique it wasnt sublime riding. Its more cow trails and ruts and drop offs than flow and berms and the like.

Edited by Paul Ruinaard

I think the Tread Top Trails ratings should be taken with a bag of salt. The publication hails from the big smoke so probably get to destinations closer to there than Cape Town more often, like KK for instance. If their ratings were provincial it would make more sense and probably be more accurate.

From what I've seen of the trail parks in Gauteng I think views and steepness are in short supply  so KK is probably a mind bending but relatable  experience.

In CT we are spoiled for choice and I have just fallen in love with JH again thanks to managing to ride it more in the last 12 months than in the last 5 years combined. Riding there when you're not that fit or a bit out of practice isn't easy. Its steep up and the long 4km descents are super tiring. So imagine coming from Jhb and being faced with Africa's version of an alpine riding experience and you might not rate it so highly. 

I'd dispute that JH isn't for marathoners - I mean the Epic and other races have been through there and there is stacks of jeep track to hit as well as easier single track like Neverending Story and the Firehut side of the mountain. 

If you look at other ratings you'll see bias all over.  I think the Spruit is ranked higher than Tokai. 🤪