Top MTB Trails in SA

Robbie Stewart

Best MTB Trail in SA  

53 members have voted

1. 1. So, according to Top MTB Trails there is only ONE clear winner for top MTB trail in SA, and no debate will suffice unless you've ridden the winner. Any claims to the contrary are not even worth considering.

• Karkloof
    • Jonkershoek
    • Drakensberg

I came across a list of the Top MTB Trails in SA, and was eager to see what it was about. What caught me off-guard was the very bold statement about the winner which got me thinking, 'based on what criteria is the winner determined?' and what does the rest of South Africa think about the claims?

https://www.topmtbtrails.co.za/

This bit is what caught my attention:

We have encountered passionate mountain bikers throughout South Africa (mainly in the Western Cape, to be honest) who think their local trails are the ultimate flow. While this is great in terms of local support, it’s not true. Only those who have ridden these trails will understand trail flow’s real meaning – and feeling. And unless you have travelled to Karkloof and ridden those trails properly, you cannot make any claims like this without expecting to be corrected by anyone whose biking life the Karkloof trails have enhanced. Truly, Karkloof is SA’s best mountain biking trail.

*disclaimer - I am not swaying the decision either way, I am merely curious about the bold statements made in the segment about the winner. Haven't ridden there, so can't really agree or not.

And without further ado . . . fight! (not really)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've ridden Karkloof. It is MTB heaven. I did SA Enduro champs there over two days, I think we did 9 stages in total, and still did not see all the trails that KK has to offer. KK is great for long marathon type rides (SA Marathon Champs have been held there), has plenty of enduro trails which will test your skillz properly and even has DH trails. There's also plenty of XC type riding. It's hard to beat KK. I've haven't been to Jonkershoek, so I can't comment on how it measures up to KK. I've done a few enduros since I've moved to the Western Cape, and ridden places like Tokai, Banhoek, Hoogekraal, Paarl Trails, Bottleray Trails and Oak Valley and they're all excellent...but I'd pick KK over all of them every day.

Edited by El Duderino

2 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

I've haven't been to Jonkershoek, so I can't comment on how it measures up to KK. I've done a few enduros since I've moved to the Western Cape, and ridden places like Tokai, Banhoek, Hoogekraal, Paarl Trails, and they're all excellent...but I'd pick KK over all of them every day.

just . . . how?

How on earth do you ride past Jonkers and not ride there? Banhoek is literally on the other side of the mountain. Paarl is just up the road.

Also, there is literally an Enduro there next Sunday.

Do the right thing.

1 minute ago, Robbie Stewart said:

just . . . how?

How on earth do you ride past Jonkers and not ride there? Banhoek is literally on the other side of the mountain. Paarl is just up the road.

Also, there is literally an Enduro there next Sunday.

Do the right thing.

Fair comment. Since moving to CT, I sold my trail/enduro bike (Yeti SB) and bought an XC/DC bike as I was doing long rides and not much enduro riding. The people I ride with here tend to prefer the longer, slightly less technical stuff. So, they not fans of Jonkershoek, DH/Enduro Trails at Tokai etc. So, that's why I've never been to Jonkers, the people I ride with here don't really like it. They prefer Banhoek Valley, Oak Valley etc.

As regards the enduro at Jonkers, I was going to do the event on the original date, but it was cancelled. And I can't do the rescheduled one as I'm doing the Darling Breweries Extreme MTB Race that weekend which I had already signed up for. 

Would love to ride Jonkershoek at some point. I've only heard good things.  Except from XCM bros who tend to avoid it. I guess that's the allure of KK...it has something for everyone, even the gravel bros. 😁

2 hours ago, El Duderino said:

Fair comment. Since moving to CT, I sold my trail/enduro bike (Yeti SB) and bought an XC/DC bike as I was doing long rides and not much enduro riding. The people I ride with here tend to prefer the longer, slightly less technical stuff. So, they not fans of Jonkershoek, DH/Enduro Trails at Tokai etc. So, that's why I've never been to Jonkers, the people I ride with here don't really like it. They prefer Banhoek Valley, Oak Valley etc.

As regards the enduro at Jonkers, I was going to do the event on the original date, but it was cancelled. And I can't do the rescheduled one as I'm doing the Darling Breweries Extreme MTB Race that weekend which I had already signed up for. 

Would love to ride Jonkershoek at some point. I've only heard good things.  Except from XCM bros who tend to avoid it. I guess that's the allure of KK...it has something for everyone, even the gravel bros. 😁

JH also has plenty lycra on any given day mixing it up with the #Endurobro crowd. There are trails ranging from green to blue to red to black. There is gnar, jank, flow, steep up, steep down, gravel and even hiking with some mind blowing scenery. It doesn't matter what you ride, just that you ride there at least once. You will find any mix of cyclist there, even the odd roadie that rode up the valley from Stellies for a cuppa. 

9 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

JH also has plenty lycra on any given day mixing it up with the #Endurobro crowd. There are trails ranging from green to blue to red to black. There is gnar, jank, flow, steep up, steep down, gravel and even hiking with some mind blowing scenery. It doesn't matter what you ride, just that you ride there at least once. You will find any mix of cyclist there, even the odd roadie that rode up the valley from Stellies for a cuppa. 

I think the main reason for marathon types avoiding Jonkers is not that it's technical but that it's that you either riding up a steep hill...or down one. What I've heard...not sure if true as I've not ridden there. 

Riding jonkers after not doing it for a while is almost what some ppl would describe as a religious experience. 
There is just something about that place, the mountains, the quiet, the views, the exposure on some of the trails. It makes you feel….small, but also calm and most importantly….100% in the moment. I almost like that I can only go there once in a while. It makes it even more of an experience.

Also…KK is in kZN, do people still live there?😅

(Disclaimer: I say that as someone who was born and bred there, even though I was eventually schooled in the big smoke and now live in the last stronghold of the WC haha….and I really, REALLY don't like going there anymore…for any reason.

42 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Hermanus trails does it for me.

Nee kyk uit als in die Wes Kaap is daai seker die wat ek die minste van hou. Daar is geen ordentlike/fun down hill.

Met 'n Ebike sal ek dit doen vir die view van bo af en dis about dit. 🙃

2 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Nee kyk uit als in die Wes Kaap is daai seker die wat ek die minste van hou. Daar is geen ordentlike/fun down hill.

Met 'n Ebike sal ek dit doen vir die view van bo af en dis about dit. 🙃

Jip, geen downhill ...

En tog een van die mooiste roetes.

Sekerlik nie n adrenalin rush nie .... n heel ander tipe lekker.

Beste trail is een wat ek nog nie gery het nie.

Unfortunately have not been on trails outside of western cape, would like to.

Still need to do table mountain, have been to Tokai and bike park but would like someone who knows the trails on table mountain as a guide. 

As for the rest I would be surprised and happy if there's anything in 200km radius I've missed. 😁

7 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Jip, geen downhill ...

En tog een van die mooiste roetes.

Sekerlik nie n adrenalin rush nie .... n heel ander tipe lekker.

Vir my was dit nog elke keer 'n mooi suffer fest 😂