Unveiling the Power of Magura Disk Brakes

News bot

When it comes to mountain biking, the ability to stop quickly and confidently is paramount for both safety and performance and one name that stands out is Magura. Renowned for their precision engineering and cutting-edge technology, Magura offers a range of disk brakes that can be classified into three categories: cross country, trail riding and […]

View full article

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Curious to know what these brakes are priced at?

From what I have seen, pretty much on par with Shimano brakes.  Sometimes a little cheaper.

I am going to roll the dice on an MT4 set pretty soon for the Mrs to replace het Guide brakes.

2 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

From what I have seen, pretty much on par with Shimano brakes.  Sometimes a little cheaper.

I am going to roll the dice on an MT4 set pretty soon for the Mrs to replace het Guide brakes.

Thanks. I am in the market for a set of 4-piston brakes. I am over listening to my brakes complain whenever I am on a steep descent and needing to apply hard braking to stay on the trail. I want something that has 4 pistons and that allows better modulation than the rubbish I have on my bike at present. I get that I am asking my bike to do probably more than it is intended to do, but I am not spending money on a new bike soon.

I would like to hear your feedback if you do opt to go for these brakes.

2 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Thanks. I am in the market for a set of 4-piston brakes. I am over listening to my brakes complain whenever I am on a steep descent and needing to apply hard braking to stay on the trail. I want something that has 4 pistons and that allows better modulation than the rubbish I have on my bike at present. I get that I am asking my bike to do probably more than it is intended to do, but I am not spending money on a new bike soon.

I would like to hear your feedback if you do opt to go for these brakes.

I've got the MT8 on my own bike now for nearly a year.  
They work PERFECT.  Modulation is amazing.  Much, much better than the XTR I had on there previously.  Not that the XTR were bad in any way......

Can't really give you feedback on very HARD braking as I tend to be on the conservative side when it comes to risking my ass on the trails.
But the Wines2Whales was a pleasure riding them.  So by so that my partner immediately went and bought a set coming back from that weekend

Best brakes I ever had were a set of Shimano XT levers with a set of older gen MT4 calipers.

They had fantastic modulation and were super easy to work on.

The original levers were terrible though, so I hope they have sorted that out. The reach adjustment broke just looking at it and the bleed port screws were made of cheese.

One huge positive was the ability to set them up on either side of the bars without re bleeding. The levers flip flop so if you're left handed, ride Moto or are just weird and have your brakes on the wrong side, you still just bolt them on as they were never upside down.

34 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Best brakes I ever had were a set of Shimano XT levers with a set of older gen MT4 calipers.

They had fantastic modulation and were super easy to work on.

The original levers were terrible though, so I hope they have sorted that out. The reach adjustment broke just looking at it and the bleed port screws were made of cheese.

One huge positive was the ability to set them up on either side of the bars without re bleeding. The levers flip flop so if you're left handed, ride Moto or are just weird and have your brakes on the wrong side, you still just bolt them on as they were never upside down.

You mean you can have the front brake in your right hand where it should be, so that your biggest stopping power has the fittest hand that has the best fine motor coordination controlling it. Logic is lost on the cycling world and standards are but a myth. 

9 minutes ago, dave303e said:

You mean you can have the front brake in your right hand where it should be, so that your biggest stopping power has the fittest hand that has the best fine motor coordination controlling it. Logic is lost on the cycling world and standards are but a myth. 

I like you. We must be related.

59 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I'm pretty sure what you've described there is a criminal offense in many countries that carries the same punishment as misgendering someone.

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

Some of us are able to fine motor on the left hand too, leaving the stronger hand for skids and giggles.

56 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Probably true Dr. Sir

unless you’re a lefty

argument moot.

😅