Wahoo, am i being unreasonable?

Leith

24 minutes ago, Edereese said:

I think when the time comes, it's something I would try doing myself. If you do have a Kickr that does require a service, feel free to contact me and I will give it a go. Please note, if the unit is faulty, I can only make it worse OR get it rightĀ šŸ¤£Ā 

@avatarĀ what do you thinkĀ šŸ˜Ž

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I.ve got a Kickr that is dead (no power) that Wahoo SA won't repair because it was purchased second hand so looking for somebody to have a look at it and see if it can be repaired. Insurance claim said it wasn't a power surge so that route didn't work.

Sorry to highjack the thread

Edited by slickjay007

5 minutes ago, slickjay007 said:

I.ve got a Kickr that is dead (no power) that Wahoo SA won't repair because it was purchased second hand so looking for somebody to have a look at it and see if it can be repaired. Insurance claim said it wasn't a power surge so that route didn't work.

have you isolated it to the unit or to the power supply? Power supply could be an easy fix. The unit itself might be simple/easy but might be tricky.

There are repairers in jhb, might be worth giving them a call, think they are literally called treadmill repair. But I think they could possible sort for you

5 minutes ago, gerriemtb said:

You can now call yourself an expert technicianĀ 

Not really, but if the options are to service a unit by me OR 20K, I would choose me any day of the week.Ā 

Definitely the unit. i checked voltage and current from the PSU. Also contacted a repair company in JHB, can't remember the name but they charging R1200 to strip and quote and then can't guarantee that they can repair the unit. so hence looking for somebody who will tinker with the unit in their spare time.

16 minutes ago, slickjay007 said:

If you in Cape Town, I'll give it go... I am an Electronics expert though.Ā šŸ˜

1 minute ago, Edereese said:

Not really, but if the options are to service a unit by me OR 20K, I would choose me any day of the week.Ā 

I said it tongue in the cheek, hence the italics font.
But I agree with you 100%

1 minute ago, slickjay007 said:

Definitely the unit. i checked voltage and current from the PSU. Also contacted a repair company in JHB, can't remember the name but they charging R1200 to strip and quote and then can't guarantee that they can repair the unit. so hence looking for somebody who will tinker with the unit in their spare time.

I will definitely take this on.. service the unit too.Ā 

I can back edereese up on his claims and workmanship, he is skilled to fix most cycling electronic devices, together we have fixed e-bike battery and issues, repaired DI2 and Campy EPS wiring systems, fixed several garmins and wahoo computers. I would have no worries in giving him the KICKR to try and repair. sounds like a straight forward job.

3 hours ago, Edereese said:

I think when the time comes, it's something I would try doing myself. If you do have a Kickr that does require a service, feel free to contact me and I will give it a go. Please note, if the unit is faulty, I can only make it worse OR get it rightĀ šŸ¤£Ā 

I have this conversation often.

It starts with "We agree that it's already broken, right?"

7 minutes ago, droo said:

I have this conversation often.

It starts with "We agree that it's already broken, right?"

Reminds me of my apprentice days, a valuable lesson I learnt back then. Tried helping someone with a water damaged laptop, only had light on power button. Opened, cleaned, inspected and noticed the level of corrosion damage was to severe. Closed, and when I gave it back, the light no longer came on and was then blamed for breaking the device. From that day onwards, if it's broken, I can't break it further. "dead, dead and dead"Ā 

Edited by Edereese

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2023 at 2:52 PM, Dexter-morgan said:

Not sure if you Clicked on the RS Components link, the belt is like R247, R258 at BMG.

Have you or anyone else ordered the RS PRO Timing Belt, 170 Teeth, 850mm Length, 15mm Width belt from RS / BMG and installed it onto the Kick Core? Does it fit and does it work? I need to replace my Kick Core belt soon.

When I went from dumb to smart trainer I went with Wahoo, because everyone was going that route - before i only used TACX and had excellent usage out of it.

I pulled the trigger on aĀ  Kickr Core and with in a week the fight started. The strange sound that 1000's of others developed - Ikhambi said it was normal - After lots of arguing they replaced it. Well it went on for nearly 12 months and 4 replacements all for the same reason. The one i've had now for the last 3 years "touch wood" is working fine.

I will never purchase Wahoo cr@p again - Their design is cr@p and so is their quality as well as their after sales ability to supply service and spare parts - Everyone raves and blesses Ikhambi for their excellent service, they have a serious attitude problem and are not interested in repairs in or out of warranty, they will only replace if they really have to in terms of the warranty.Ā  They have done nothing to support an aftermarket service and repair regime, even at the LBS that sell their product.Ā 

Many years ago our company launched a product in this country that performed terribly - Not one ever worked properly - The Salesman once told me "When you sell this product and you driving out of the customers premises you don't even look in your review mirror" - I'm sure that's how Ikhambi's salesmen must have felt as well.

Just Dump your Kuckr and get a TACX - write it off as school fees.

Ā