Gravel gearing 1x

no calves

Morning

Replacing my drivetrain on my gravel bike. Replacing my casette to 11-42. 

Ordered 40T chainring but was told they dont have stock but they can supply me with a 42T.

would the 1:1 ratio on the climbs work? i am not the lightest at 100kgs but in the long run i would like to get the nex apex axs with gx axs and turn it into a mullet with a 10-50 casette.

so 40 or 42t??

regards

Calves

4 minutes ago, no calves said:

Morning

Ordered 40T chainring but was told they dont have stock but they can supply me with a 42T.

would the 1:1 ratio on the climbs work? i am not the lightest at 100kgs but in the long run i would like to get the nex apex axs with gx axs and turn it into a mullet with a 10-50 casette.

so 40 or 42t??

regards

Calves

Hold out for 40t. 

I have a 40T, with 10-50 on the rear.

For gravel, it's great, though I'm very rarely in the 50T (but it's nice to have as a bail-out).

Actually bought a 48T chainring to have as an option for when I do road, as I found I was spinning out on descents (like the back of Smitswinkel in CTCT). But that only applies if you're also using the bike as a road bike.

My 2c, the 42T will be fine.

Really depends on where you're riding and if it's loaded or not. I'd suggest doing a gear inch / gain ratio calc and figuring out what your minimum desired cadence is at the slopes you normally ride. Personally I find a 1:1 lowest gear to be fine for normal riding, but not ideal for loaded touring.

23 minutes ago, no calves said:

Morning

so 40 or 42t??

regards

Calves

If Csixx makes something that can fit, reach out to them. Their website is pretty comprehensive 

26 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

I have a 40T, with 10-50 on the rear.

For gravel, it's great, though I'm very rarely in the 50T (but it's nice to have as a bail-out).

Actually bought a 48T chainring to have as an option for when I do road, as I found I was spinning out on descents (like the back of Smitswinkel in CTCT). But that only applies if you're also using the bike as a road bike.

My 2c, the 42T will be fine.

42t with current 11-42 casette? 

35 minutes ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

Really depends on where you're riding and if it's loaded or not. I'd suggest doing a gear inch / gain ratio calc and figuring out what your minimum desired cadence is at the slopes you normally ride. Personally I find a 1:1 lowest gear to be fine for normal riding, but not ideal for loaded touring.

totally

play around here https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

27 minutes ago, no calves said:

42t with current 11-42 casette? 

Why not?

If it turns out to be a massive issue, then 40T isn't going to help that much, rather go to 38T with a csixx version.

I have 42/11-42 on mine. I dont think about the 1x1 really. It is plenty enough. What i will say though is that i hardly ever use the 11T where I ride that bike, so for that reason i think 40 or 38 would be better so i’ll have more usable range.

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

I have 42/11-42 on mine. I dont think about the 1x1 really. It is plenty enough. What i will say though is that i hardly ever use the 11T where I ride that bike, so for that reason i think 40 or 38 would be better so i’ll have more usable range.

1:1 enough for gravel rollers? the only reason is im afraid i run out of legs on the race2thesea for instance

💪

Is that chain long enough in granny? No point if you dont even use granny gear 😉 

Ive got a road that'll sort you out on that 42 Matt... 

And your chain is on the wrong way too btw

7 hours ago, no calves said:

1:1 enough for gravel rollers? the only reason is im afraid i run out of legs on the race2thesea for instance

Look, its not 32/10-52 lol….but i ride plenty of hills with 1x1 no issue. Its easy enough that its not hard and i never really think about it. Unless you really want to spin up a hill at 5kph….you’ll only really need to get out of the saddle and make some effort when it gets proper steep for long. I did Around the Pot in the mud with 42/11-42 if that means anything to you. Im 2m tall and around 90kg.